Krzysztof Penderecki (1933-2020)

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maestro267

No because the 6th wasn't created until 2018. Wit hasn't recorded it yet. I had no need to get the sets as I purchased the recordings individually over the years.

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 19, 2021, 03:40:50 AM
True, there are those two. I think Antoni Wit is likely still planning further recordings, so until he is done, we'll have to wait for a "complete" Naxos Penderecki box.

Hopefully, Wit will record Symphony No. 6, "Chinese Songs". I hope it happens sooner rather than later as Wit is in his late 70s.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Maestro267 on September 18, 2021, 10:27:27 PM
There are two boxes of assorted Naxos Penderecki discs out there. (Amazon links below.)

This one with choral works

This one with symphonies

I own both "sets" (if you want to actually call them this) but neither one of them contain all of Wit's Penderecki recordings, so I had to buy the rest individually. Anyway, I was talking about a special box set design like their Debussy, Grieg, Lutoslawski et. al. box sets.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 19, 2021, 06:29:50 AM
Hopefully, Wit will record Symphony No. 6, "Chinese Songs". I hope it happens sooner rather than later as Wit is in his late 70s.

Pshh, the 70s for a conductor are like the 30s for any other professional  :laugh:

DavidW

I listened to the Tippett Q recording of the string chamber works yesterday.  In particular I liked the string trio.  I've never heard the SQs and trio before.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 19, 2021, 11:33:02 AM
Pshh, the 70s for a conductor are like the 30s for any other professional  :laugh:

There is some truth in this for sure. ;)

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on September 20, 2021, 05:24:38 AM
I listened to the Tippett Q recording of the string chamber works yesterday.  In particular I liked the string trio.  I've never heard the SQs and trio before.

Excellent! The 3rd SQ remains my favorite of all his chamber works right now, but I do like the Clarinet Quintet and Sextet a lot as well.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 20, 2021, 07:12:09 AM
Excellent! The 3rd SQ remains my favorite of all his chamber works right now, but I do like the Clarinet Quintet and Sextet a lot as well.

That's quite a recommendation, so I'll probably go ahead and buy this one (up to now the Sextet has been my favorite of his chamber works). In general, I think he was better at chamber than orchestral music. I wish he'd written more in that genre.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Karl Henning

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 19, 2021, 03:40:50 AM
True, there are those two. I think Antoni Wit is likely still planning further recordings, so until he is done, we'll have to wait for a "complete" Naxos Penderecki box.

Interesting.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 15, 2021, 06:43:28 AM
Listening to the Sextet now, John.

As for the violin sonatas, I've just ordered them (Naxos set).  Haven't heard these before.  I'm also only familiar with the 1st string quartet (famously playing at the opening credits of The Exorcist).
Oh, interesting!  I didn't know that his music was used in that film.  I did find this...just a tiny snippet used there:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpw-GbEpjR4

PD

p.s.  Any idea whose recording was used?  And how do you like it overall?
Pohjolas Daughter

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 22, 2021, 05:02:03 AM
Oh, interesting!  I didn't know that his music was used in that film.  I did find this...just a tiny snippet used there:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpw-GbEpjR4

PD

p.s.  Any idea whose recording was used?  And how do you like it overall?

I don't know which recording it was. Obviously it would have to be 1973 or prior. Perhaps it was the LaSalle quartet since they recorded it in 1967.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 22, 2021, 05:12:25 AM
I don't know which recording it was. Obviously it would have to be 1973 or prior. Perhaps it was the LaSalle quartet since they recorded it in 1967.

Quote from: DavidW on September 22, 2021, 05:18:50 AM
Slatkin

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070047/soundtrack/?ref_=tt_trv_snd
Oh, o.k.  Thanks.  I was thinking that they would have used an excerpt from a string quartet performing it.  Sorry to hear that the orchestra is no longer around too.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brahmsian

Quote from: DavidW on September 22, 2021, 05:18:50 AM
Slatkin

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070047/soundtrack/?ref_=tt_trv_snd

I don't see in there where it specifically mentions the performers or ensemble for the string quartet? Or I've overlooked it.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 22, 2021, 05:34:01 AM
I don't see in there where it specifically mentions the performers or ensemble for the string quartet? Or I've overlooked it.
I took it to mean that the necessary excerpt was recorded by members of the National Philharmonic Orchestra?  Or were they not providing accurate information on that website?  I couldn't find anything else.  Tempted to borrow the movie--both to watch the movie again and to check out the music...and the credits!  ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 22, 2021, 10:27:22 AM
I took it to mean that the necessary excerpt was recorded by members of the National Philharmonic Orchestra?  Or were they not providing accurate information on that website?  I couldn't find anything else.  Tempted to borrow the movie--both to watch the movie again and to check out the music...and the credits!  ;D

PD

I have the DVD. I don't believe the credits for the music are that descriptive or detailed. But I will double check when I have time.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 22, 2021, 10:32:32 AM
I have the DVD. I don't believe the credits for the music are that descriptive or detailed. But I will double check when I have time.
Ah!  I think that I've solved it!  That website (further down, scroll down) credits "Courtesy of Candide/Vox Productions"...more googling and finally found this:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/124883979915?hash=item1d13aa4e8b:g:zLUAAOSwyIZhLVuy

I see that the Kohon Quartet is listed there.

PD

p.s.  Looks like it came out in 1972.
Pohjolas Daughter

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 22, 2021, 10:41:33 AM
Ah!  I think that I've solved it!  That website (further down, scroll down) credits "Courtesy of Candide/Vox Productions"...more googling and finally found this:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/124883979915?hash=item1d13aa4e8b:g:zLUAAOSwyIZhLVuy

I see that the Kohon Quartet is listed there.

PD

p.s.  Looks like it came out in 1972.

Oh! I think you found it!  :) I checked the credits, and they only specified Candide/Vox.

Listening to sound samples, I definitely think it is the Kohon Quartet.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 22, 2021, 10:52:28 AM
Oh! I think you found it!  :) I checked the credits, and they only specified Candide/Vox.

Listening to sound samples, I definitely think it is the Kohon Quartet.
Pohjolas Daughter: happy and proud "sleuth"   :D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter