Krzysztof Penderecki (1933-2020)

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Listening now (first listen ever) to Anaklasis, for strings and percussion (1959).  Whoa, what a tremendous short piece!  :o

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 06, 2021, 07:34:29 AM

Listening now (first listen ever) to Anaklasis, for strings and percussion (1959).  Whoa, what a tremendous short piece!  :o

Indeed! That whole 2-CD set is grade A Penderecki. 8)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 06, 2021, 07:38:27 AM
Indeed! That whole 2-CD set is grade A Penderecki. 8)

Yes, I'm listening to both CDs today.   :)  Will be my first run through for most of these performances and works.

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 06, 2021, 07:40:57 AM
Yes, I'm listening to both CDs today.   :)  Will be my first run through for most of these performances and works.

Very nice. 8)

Brahmsian

Now listening to this great an highly enjoyable disc, which I hadn't listened to for quite some time!  :)

Credo - 1998
Cantata in honorem Almae Matris Universitatis Iagellonicae sescentos abhinc annos fundatae - 1964

The Credo is highly accessible Penderecki, smooth enough for anyone fond of Romantic Era choral and sacred music.  It is truly gorgeous music.   :-*  While the Cantata is from his more 'acerbic' period.  ;)

Brahmsian

Now onto the amazing Polish Requiem.  A work of such immense power and weightiness.  A wonderful combination of beauty and intensity!  :)

relm1

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 07, 2021, 11:49:23 AM
Now onto the amazing Polish Requiem.  A work of such immense power and weightiness.  A wonderful combination of beauty and intensity!  :)

I prefer this recording:
https://www.discogs.com/release/13124788-Krzysztof-Penderecki-Volume-Five-Polskie-RequiemPolish-Requiem-Dies-Irae

Unfortunately, it doesn't include later movements but of the original movements, this one is more dramatic.

Mirror Image

Quote from: relm1 on October 07, 2021, 05:14:07 PM
I prefer this recording:
https://www.discogs.com/release/13124788-Krzysztof-Penderecki-Volume-Five-Polskie-RequiemPolish-Requiem-Dies-Irae

Unfortunately, it doesn't include later movements but of the original movements, this one is more dramatic.

I own all of those Penderecki recordings on Polskie Nagrania and they are all superb. If OrchestralNut can find them all, they'd be an asset to his collection.

Brahmsian

Does anybody have this series of Dux (concerti) series?  I guess John (MI) probably does.  This one in particular seems of interest to me, mainly for the transcription of the Double Concerto for violin and viola into an Accordion Concerto.  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 08, 2021, 10:16:42 AM

Does anybody have this series of Dux (concerti) series?  I guess John (MI) probably does.  This one in particular seems of interest to me, mainly for the transcription of the Double Concerto for violin and viola into an Accordion Concerto.  :)

Yeah, I own most of the Dux recordings, but I'll definitely not be getting the concerti recordings with transcriptions as I really have no interest. The Dux series of Penderecki is EXCELLENT! Definitely worth looking into, Ray. The downside of Dux is their recordings are rather on the expensive side and I think there's a bit of an availability problem now, but they did box up the symphonies (sans the 6th, which curiously Dux hasn't recorded yet):

Maestro267

I don't know if Dux will record/release the 6th Symphony, given the rest of the symphonies in that cycle are all conducted by the composer himself and obviously (unfortunately) he's not around to do that now.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Maestro267 on October 09, 2021, 05:32:08 AM
I don't know if Dux will record/release the 6th Symphony, given the rest of the symphonies in that cycle are all conducted by the composer himself and obviously (unfortunately) he's not around to do that now.

A good point. If I was Dux, I would've reconsidered putting out a box with the title "The Complete Symphonies".

Maestro267

I believe at the time it was released it was "the complete symphonies" as No. 6 hadn't been completed.

Brahmsian

Added another four to my collection (order just placed today):

Mirror Image

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 10, 2021, 07:45:21 PM
This is an outstanding 2-CD set, Ray. I own it in this incarnation:

Yes, I saw that incarnation John too. But it was at an astronomical price. That is why I bought the reissue.

I bought it specifically to have a recording for Kanon for Tape and Orchestra.

Brahmsian

Are there any commercial recordings available for any of Penderecki's four operas? Or all out of print, pricey and extremely rare to find, requiring a second mortgage on your home?

The Devils of Loudun (1968-69)
Paradise Lost (1975-78)
The Black Mask (1984-86)
Ubu Rex (1990-91)

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 11, 2021, 05:30:53 AM
Yes, I saw that incarnation John too. But it was at an astronomical price. That is why I bought the reissue.

I bought it specifically to have a recording for Kanon for Tape and Orchestra.

I bought both first issued EMI 2-CD sets from a seller off of Discogs. They were both in mint condition and the price was too good to pass up. As for Kanon, I'm honestly surprised that Wit didn't record it for Naxos or that an earlier performance doesn't exist on the Polskie Nagrania Muza label.

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 11, 2021, 05:50:23 AM
Are there any commercial recordings available for any of Penderecki's four operas? Or all out of print, pricey and extremely rare to find, requiring a second mortgage on your home?

The Devils of Loudun (1968-69)
Paradise Lost (1975-78)
The Black Mask (1984-86)
Ubu Rex (1990-91)

I think only The Devils of Loudun has had a commercial recording (on Philips), but as we know, it's OOP and difficult to obtain a copy for a reasonable price. The other operas haven't been recorded as far as I know. Only the Adagietto from Paradise Lost has been recorded a number times by Penderecki himself and some others.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ultralinear on October 11, 2021, 09:53:10 AM
A live 2003 recording of Ubu Rex is available on the Accord label:

It comes in a 2-CD box with quite a sumptuous booklet including full libretto in German/Polish/English and photos from the stage production:

Amazon UK claim to have it in stock it for GBP 30, Presto list it for 25.50 but say it's "out of stock at the distributor", which often is code for "unobtainable".  Although it describes itself as a 2004 issue, I bought it as soon as it became available here, which was not that many years ago.

It's a long time since I listened to it, but I recall liking it a lot.  It helps if you're familiar with the play (by Jarry.)

Very cool. 8) Looks like a nice recording. The CD Accord label is, of course, fantastic and I've never bought a bad recording on their label. Looks like I may have to do some digging around to see if I can obtain a copy.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 11, 2021, 08:08:25 PM
Very cool. 8) Looks like a nice recording. The CD Accord label is, of course, fantastic and I've never bought a bad recording on their label. Looks like I may have to do some digging around to see if I can obtain a copy.

Looks like there is a brand new copy on eBay for about $37 cdn plus shipping.