Krzysztof Penderecki (1933-2020)

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 19, 2021, 06:51:49 AM
One more "later" work that I feel needs to be added to the list (one of my favourite Penderecki works, regardless of period) is his Credo - 1998

I vigourously recommend it to anyone.

Oh yes! That's a fine work, but which recording? There are several now:

I've heard the Wit and Rilling. Both are outstanding performances. I haven't heard the Kord recording but I like his conducting a lot and his recording of Gates of Jerusalem ("Symphony No. 7") is amazing.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 19, 2021, 07:01:59 AM
Oh yes! That's a fine work, but which recording? There are several now:

I've heard the Wit and Rilling. Both are outstanding performances. I haven't heard the Kord recording but I like his conducting a lot and his recording of Gates of Jerusalem ("Symphony No. 7") is amazing.

I only have the Wit recording, John.  :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 04, 2021, 07:00:43 PM
A frightening piece, but I do love it quite a bit I must say. I wouldn't rank it ahead of St. Luke Passion, but there are some terrifying moments in Utrenja. I like the Wit performance, but can definitely recommend this one as well:

Well, I tried to order this one on eBay (my first ever bid) and I was the only bidder.  A day before the bidding was to expire, the seller retracted the item off, so I'm SOL.  >:(

orchestrion

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 19, 2021, 07:10:15 AM
Well, I tried to order this one on eBay (my first ever bid) and I was the only bidder.  A day before the bidding was to expire, the seller retracted the item
That's a shame. For me this is possibly the best thing he ever wrote, and I think this recording is far preferable to Wit (despite the other Penderecki recordings from Wit being excellent, the ones I've heard anyway) - all the performers, especially the vocal soloists, are going for maximum intensity rather than the restrained approach in the more recent recording. Compare for example the basso profundo soloists, or the tenor solo in the second movement of part I which is jaw-dropping in Markowski's recording.

Brahmsian

Quote from: orchestrion on October 19, 2021, 07:42:15 AM
That's a shame. For me this is possibly the best thing he ever wrote, and I think this recording is far preferable to Wit (despite the other Penderecki recordings from Wit being excellent, the ones I've heard anyway) - all the performers, especially the vocal soloists, are going for maximum intensity rather than the restrained approach in the more recent recording. Compare for example the basso profundo soloists, or the tenor solo in the second movement of part I which is jaw-dropping in Markowski's recording.

Yes, it is a shame.  Utrenja is indeed one of my favourite works.  I have the Wit and do enjoy it, but really wanted this recording.

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 19, 2021, 07:10:15 AM
Well, I tried to order this one on eBay (my first ever bid) and I was the only bidder.  A day before the bidding was to expire, the seller retracted the item off, so I'm SOL.  >:(

Damn, that sucks, Ray. Have you tried acquiring it in this issue?

I'd send this one to you, but it's a part of a five-part series that I'm not about to break up. :) I also own that gold disc reissue, which is difficult to find, so I won't be parting with that one either. ;)

I see there's two of them on eBay for a fair price:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/324663970600?hash=item4b977b0b28:g:pRcAAOSwQUFgMI-s

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/203274999657?hash=item2f54225769:g:nzAAAOSwIihgGpFz

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 19, 2021, 08:13:58 AM

I'd send this one to you, but it's a part of a five-part series that I'm not about to break up. :) I also own that gold disc reissue, which is difficult to find, so I won't be parting with that one either. ;)

I'll keep looking John, thanks.  Eventually it will resurface.  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 19, 2021, 08:16:55 AM
I'll keep looking John, thanks.  Eventually it will resurface.  :)

Just an FYI, I edited my reply to you and included links to eBay. ;)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 23, 2021, 05:17:06 AM
Polymorphia is down right scary!  :o

You can see and hear The Devils of Loudun on YouTube. I haven't yet found a recording of Kanon for Orchestra and Tape on CD, it will be on the to do list. I have sampled on YouTube.

Symphony #3 was used to great effect in Scorsese's film Shutter Island.

Cello Concerto no. 1 is coming my way in the mail.

Threnody is probably his most famous piece from his avant-garde era.
I just watched that movie and was haunted by the effect that his music had on me at the time...worked wonderfully well in that movie.  I'll have to hear the whole work now and see how I like it on its own.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 19, 2021, 08:13:58 AM

I see there's two of them on eBay for a fair price:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/324663970600?hash=item4b977b0b28:g:pRcAAOSwQUFgMI-s

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/203274999657?hash=item2f54225769:g:nzAAAOSwIihgGpFz

Thanks very much John.  I just purchased one of these.  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 20, 2021, 09:24:35 AM
Thanks very much John.  I just purchased one of these.  :)

Very nice, indeed. 8)

Brahmsian

First listen to these works.  Royally impressed with the Magnificat - 1973-74.  It is still much in the vein of the experimental Penderecki, and here you have another instance of the Passacaglia theme that recurs numerous times in his other works, most markedly in his Symphony No. 3.  Although this work is not quite as spooky and alarming as Utrenja, it is still quite a harrowing piece!  :o

However, I can't say I was impressed with Kadisz (2009).  There were some good moments, but overall it didn't make much of an impact.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 20, 2021, 09:11:38 AM
I just watched that movie and was haunted by the effect that his music had on me at the time...worked wonderfully well in that movie.  I'll have to hear the whole work now and see how I like it on its own.

PD

Marvelous!  :)  That was my first exposure to the Penderecki symphony as well, via the film.

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 21, 2021, 10:51:30 AM

First listen to these works.  Royally impressed with the Magnificat - 1973-74.  It is still much in the vein of the experimental Penderecki, and here you have another instance of the Passacaglia theme that recurs numerous times in his other works, most markedly in his Symphony No. 3.  Although this work is not quite as spooky and alarming as Utrenja, it is still quite a harrowing piece!  :o

However, I can't say I was impressed with Kadisz (2009).  There were some good moments, but overall it didn't make much of an impact.

Magnificat is a marvelous work. I especially like this Penderecki-led performance:

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 21, 2021, 08:05:13 PM
Magnificat is a marvelous work. I especially like this Penderecki-led performance:

Yes, I also listened to that performance yesterday. I'd say they are both very good.

bhodges

Just found out that the Bavarian State Opera is livestreaming Penderecki's The Devils of Loudun, conducted by Vladimir Jurowski, on June 27. And free, too. (The company has also added three other live broadcasts: Prokofiev Cinderella, Britten Peter Grimes, and Janáček The Cunning Little Vixen.)

https://www.staatsoper.de/en/staatsoper-tv

--Bruce

Brahmsian

Quote from: Brewski on February 12, 2022, 07:25:45 AM
Just found out that the Bavarian State Opera is livestreaming Penderecki's The Devils of Loudun, conducted by Vladimir Jurowski, on June 27. And free, too. (The company has also added three other live broadcasts: Prokofiev Cinderella, Britten Peter Grimes, and Janáček The Cunning Little Vixen.)

--Bruce

Oh sweet! Thank you for letting us know, Bruce!  :)

bhodges

Quote from: Brewski on February 12, 2022, 07:25:45 AM

--Bruce

Though I couldn't catch the livestream today, the opera will be available on demand for a month, through July 27.

https://www.staatsoper.de/en/productions/die-teufel-von-loudun

And from the website:

"Krzysztof Penderecki's The Devils of Loudun will premiere on Monday, June 27th, 2022, at 7 p.m. -- opening this year's Munich Opera Festival. Wolfgang Koch, who was planned to sing the role of Grandier, unfortunately has to cancel the premiere due to sickness.

"The opera The Devils of Loudun has rarely been performed in recent years, which has made the selection of singers extremely complicated. We have now found a very unusual solution, Robert Dölle, from the ensemble of the Residence Theater, who will perform the part scenically and Jordan Shanahan who will sing the part from the side.

"We thank both artists for their spontaneity and wish Wolfgang Koch a good recovery."

--Bruce

Brahmsian

Quote from: Brewski on June 27, 2022, 01:06:46 PM
Though I couldn't catch the livestream today, the opera will be available on demand for a month, through July 27.

https://www.staatsoper.de/en/productions/die-teufel-von-loudun

And from the website:

"Krzysztof Penderecki's The Devils of Loudun will premiere on Monday, June 27th, 2022, at 7 p.m. -- opening this year's Munich Opera Festival. Wolfgang Koch, who was planned to sing the role of Grandier, unfortunately has to cancel the premiere due to sickness.

"The opera The Devils of Loudun has rarely been performed in recent years, which has made the selection of singers extremely complicated. We have now found a very unusual solution, Robert Dölle, from the ensemble of the Residence Theater, who will perform the part scenically and Jordan Shanahan who will sing the part from the side.

"We thank both artists for their spontaneity and wish Wolfgang Koch a good recovery."

--Bruce

Thanks for sharing Bruce. I'll have to have a look!

Pohjolas Daughter

Question for you Penderecki fans:  I recently acquired a disc of his complete cello concertos (and also his one for viola and chamber orchestra).  It's with Arto Noras and Sinfonia Varsovia with Penderecki conducting.

Where would you suggest that I begin?  :)

PD

Pohjolas Daughter