Krzysztof Penderecki (1933-2020)

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maestro267

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Maestro267 on August 26, 2022, 09:25:13 AM
At the beginning?
I guess I was thinking more in terms of either accessibility...or favorites...or...maybe impact?  :-\

Will start either tonight or tomorrow (knock on wood).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

bhodges

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 26, 2022, 11:07:35 AM
I guess I was thinking more in terms of either accessibility...or favorites...or...maybe impact?  :-\

Will start either tonight or tomorrow (knock on wood).

PD

Wish I could offer some guidance, but I've not heard any of these works (despite being a Penderecki fan). Will be interested to hear your comments.

--Bruce

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brewski on August 26, 2022, 11:28:37 AM
Wish I could offer some guidance, but I've not heard any of these works (despite being a Penderecki fan). Will be interested to hear your comments.

--Bruce
Thanks!  Busy day today...hope to start listening to it later today.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vers la flamme

The music of Krzysztof Penderecki is blowing my mind lately. I have not heard all that much of it, but it has been a joy to discover things like the 1st, 3rd and 8th symphonies, the St. Luke Passion, the early works like Anaklasis, the Threnody, Capriccio for Violin & Orchestra, Canticum Canticorum Salomonis. There's so much of it that I don't really know where to go from here. If any Penderecki fans care to recommend something to me, I'm all ears for it.

Anyone else listening to lots of Penderecki lately?

To veer off track, I also wanted to ask whether anyone knows of any avant-garde composers who inhabit the same universe as early Penderecki, because to my ears it sounds very unique.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 08, 2022, 04:52:48 PM
If any Penderecki fans care to recommend something to me, I'm all ears for it.

Penderecki is (to my mind) rather uneven, in that he wrote some good/great stuff and some bad/empty stuff, but it's the good stuff that matters of course.

I think his chamber music is excellent. Try the Sextet, easily available on Naxos with a bunch of his other chamber music, an excellent disc all around.

I also have a very nice disc of his a cappella choral music, done by a Finnish choir (the Tapiola Something, I think). Good stuff.

He might have misunderstood his own talent to an extent. I find him generally better in smaller forms than bigger ones; although he insisted on writing a lot of big orchestral/choral music, the smaller-scale stuff is marvelous, and what I come back to most often.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

vers la flamme

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on October 08, 2022, 05:45:28 PM
Penderecki is (to my mind) rather uneven, in that he wrote some good/great stuff and some bad/empty stuff, but it's the good stuff that matters of course.

I think his chamber music is excellent. Try the Sextet, easily available on Naxos with a bunch of his other chamber music, an excellent disc all around.

I also have a very nice disc of his a cappella choral music, done by a Finnish choir (the Tapiola Something, I think). Good stuff.

He might have misunderstood his own talent to an extent. I find him generally better in smaller forms than bigger ones; although he insisted on writing a lot of big orchestral/choral music, the smaller-scale stuff is marvelous, and what I come back to most often.

Nice recommendation—I haven't heard any of his chamber music except for the excellent first string quartet. I'll look out for the Sextet disc on Naxos. I was just looking at that a capella disc, it's on the Finlandia label. I, for one, appreciate the large scale choral-orchestral works, but I see your point. His short orchestral works are usually quite successful.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on October 08, 2022, 05:45:28 PM...

I second the recommendation of the sextet. I also have the Naxos recording, as well as a probably out-of-print recording by the Prazak Quartet.

I also would recommend the viola concerto.

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

relm1

I think very highly of the piano concerto "resurrection".  His concerti are very good. 

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 08, 2022, 07:13:34 PM
I second the recommendation of the sextet. I also have the Naxos recording, as well as a probably out-of-print recording by the Prazak Quartet.

I also would recommend the viola concerto.

According to Praga's website, it's showing as being in stock.  http://www.pragadigitals.com/epages/265941.sf/en_US/?ObjectID=16590084

PD

p.s.  I'd love to get ahold of a copy of it.  Actually, do you have preference of the two SH?
Pohjolas Daughter

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 09, 2022, 07:09:51 AMp.s.  I'd love to get ahold of a copy of it.  Actually, do you have preference of the two SH?

I couldn't pick one or the other, both are great recordings.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 09, 2022, 01:41:12 PM
I couldn't pick one or the other, both are great recordings.
O.k., thanks.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brahmsian

Nice to see the interest in his music!  :)

Symphonic Addict

A while ago I gave this work a spin, I think it's the longest Requiem I've ever heard (99 minutes long) and the effort was worthy. A solemn, powerful, stark, meditative creation that doesn't concede any remotely hopeful moment. The use of tubular bells was a feature I enjoyed very much, they provide a "transcendent" feel to the music whenever they're employed.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

relm1

I really love A Polish Requiem. 

I prefer this incomplete version most

But later movements were added so my ideal version is a hybrid of the old and new.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: relm1 on January 19, 2023, 04:16:12 PMI really love A Polish Requiem. 

I prefer this incomplete version most

But later movements were added so my ideal version is a hybrid of the old and new.

Those recordings seem hard to find nowadays. From that label I've heard Utrenja and it is tremendous to say the least.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Brahmsian

First listen to this disc, which is quite wonderful!  A nice span of his career.  Mostly string orchestra works.

Three Pieces in the old style - A lovely nod to the Baroque era.

Serenade - introspective, somber and gorgeous work for strings.  Particularly a very moving Larghetto.

Sinfonietta No. 1 (transcription of String Trio) - Intense!  A vigorous, lively work from his post avant-garde period.

Intermezzo for 24 strings - Eerie, wonderful 7 minute piece from his late avant-garde period.  Another piece that would not be out of place for a horror film!

Capriccio for oboe and string orchestra - A lighter, more humouristic piece than the Intermezzo, but still firmly planted in his avant-garde style.

Sinfonietta No. 2 (transcription of Clarinet Quartet) - Fans of the original Clarinet Quartet should check this out.  I personally enjoy it as much as the original.  Wonderfully recorded and performed here, in clear and crisp sound

Brahmsian

As much as I am thankful and grateful for all the Wit/Naxos recordings of Penderecki's music, the performance here of Utrenja is unmatched for its power and intensity!

Conducted by Andrzej Markowski, with the Warsaw National Philharmonic Orchestra and Choir.  1973 recording

Maestro267

Quote from: Løvfald on January 19, 2023, 02:03:45 PMA while ago I gave this work a spin, I think it's the longest Requiem I've ever heard (99 minutes long) and the effort was worthy. A solemn, powerful, stark, meditative creation that doesn't concede any remotely hopeful moment. The use of tubular bells was a feature I enjoyed very much, they provide a "transcendent" feel to the music whenever they're employed.

It's even longer if you add the Chaconne for strings Penderecki wrote in 2005 in memory of Pope John Paul II. It fits nicely between the Sanctus and Agnus Dei. The transition is incredible.

Brahmsian

A wonderful disc including three works for cello and orchestra.  The first two being in his more mature style.  For me though, the pièce de résistance is his Sonata for Cello and Orchestra (1964), a short 11 minute goodie for fans of his early avant-garde period.