Krzysztof Penderecki (1933-2020)

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

Quote from: MDL on March 16, 2009, 08:08:57 AM
Looks like Naxos are releasing a recording of Utrenja in April 2009, part of Wit's ongoing cycle. Bring on Kosmogonia and The Devils of Loudun!

Cool, what great news!  I still have the LP recording below, which I haven't heard in decades.  (And forgot until locating this cover scan that there's a Persichetti on there, too--which I don't think I've even listened to!)

--Bruce

Dundonnell

I must say that I prefer the Persichetti on that (reissued Japanese) cd despite the fact that it is Persichetti's most 'modern-sounding' symphony. Earlier Penderecki is not music I can come to terms with :(

MDL

Quote from: bhodges on March 16, 2009, 08:23:27 AM
Cool, what great news!  I still have the LP recording below, which I haven't heard in decades.  (And forgot until locating this cover scan that there's a Persichetti on there, too--which I don't think I've even listened to!)

--Bruce

I wish they'd reissue that on CD, even if it is only the first half of Utrenja. The LP I heard (borrowed from a libary) didn't include the Perischetti. Never heard of him (or her).

bhodges

Quote from: MDL on March 16, 2009, 08:53:55 AM
I wish they'd reissue that on CD, even if it is only the first half of Utrenja.

Oh, I didn't even realize that!  :o 

Vincent Persichetti (1915-1987) was also known as an educator (and may have been better known for that).  He was quite prolific, but I haven't heard much of his work--mostly choral pieces. 

--Bruce

Dundonnell

Quote from: MDL on March 16, 2009, 08:53:55 AM
I wish they'd reissue that on CD, even if it is only the first half of Utrenja. The LP I heard (borrowed from a libary) didn't include the Perischetti. Never heard of him (or her).

The LP has been reissued on cd- a Japanese imported cd I am afraid(all the text is in Japanese)-I got it via Arkiv.

For a lot more on Persichetti-

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,10630.0.html

MDL

Quote from: Dundonnell on March 16, 2009, 09:42:15 AM
The LP has been reissued on cd- a Japanese imported cd I am afraid(all the text is in Japanese)-I got it via Arkiv.

For a lot more on Persichetti-

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,10630.0.html

I didn't know about that site until now. Thanks for the heads-up.  :)

Cato

Quote from: bhodges on March 16, 2009, 08:23:27 AM

--Bruce

Is that the complete Utrenja?  I recall that cover art! 

I have the score to Part I, which shows how one can notate a riot!  There are also some very nice chant-like sections using quarter-tones.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Dundonnell

Quote from: Cato on March 16, 2009, 10:08:06 AM
Is that the complete Utrenja?  I recall that cover art! 

I have the score to Part I, which shows how one can notate a riot!  There are also some very nice chant-like sections using quarter-tones.

Only Part I on the Japanese cd. For the complete 'Utrenja' you will need the new Naxos disc.

Maciek

MDL

There was also a Koch recording of Utrenja conducted by Penderecki himself, but it's never been released in the UK. Maybe it'll be reissued by Dux Records (although they go for £20 a pop in HMV!), although a budget Utrenja on Naxos would probably scare off any competition. I thought Wit's St Luke Passion was excellent, so I'm really looking forward to the new recording.

Maciek

Quote from: MDL on March 16, 2009, 03:47:02 PM
Dux Records (although they go for £20 a pop in HMV!)

Oh, wow! That just blows one's the mind! They go for about 30 zlotys here (1/3 that price). I think it might be reasonable to pay the little extra for shipping and get them from a Polish internet store (like www.gigant.pl or www.merlin.pl). I'm not sure if they have English interface versions but everything should be pretty straightforward, since both are to some extent amazon clones (especially merlin, though it doesn't show as much anymore, because merlin does not update its graphic design etc. as often as amazon does).

MDL

BOLLOCKS! BIG HAIRY BOLLOCKS!! Penderecki's The Devils of Loudun is being staged in Cracow this weekend. Had I known, I might have been able to plan a little Polish trip. Too late now. Any of our Polish friends going?

http://www.krakow-info.com/events.htm

Maciek

Actually, the premiere was in December. I don't find the photos of the production particularly enticing (you can find them here - and that's also the place to keep track of upcoming performances - unfortunately, it seems this weekend will be the end of it for the season).

MDL

Quote from: Maciek on March 18, 2009, 02:19:59 AM
Actually, the premiere was in December. I don't find the photos of the production particularly enticing (you can find them here - and that's also the place to keep track of upcoming performances - unfortunately, it seems this weekend will be the end of it for the season).

Thanks for the link! I've never seen The Devils live and I understand that Penderecki revised the score and added scenes after the Hamburg recording and film were made (and both of those chopped several minutes off the end of the unrevised score anyway). I would have loved to hear the full opera and see a stage production, no matter how pedestrian! There are a few very short, tantalising snippets on YouTube, but they really are absolutely tiny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnIiprY7wrU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbY1_FTjhAc&feature=related

Maciek

Quote from: MDL on March 18, 2009, 02:43:09 AM
I would have loved to hear the full opera and see a stage production, no matter how pedestrian!

Yeah, I guess I know what you mean.

Thanks for digging up those Youtube clips! :D

Maciek

For a multimedia version of Penderecki's Seven Gates of Jerusalem (a.k.a. Symphony no... 7?) go here (the Polish TV site). The film is in 5 parts, labeled "(cz. 1)", "(cz. 2)" etc. respectively. Click on the image or title of each video to start watching it. In Ubuntu this works best on Firefox with MediaPlayerConnectivity and a multimedia player of your choice (I've checked MPlayer, VLC, Totem xine and SMPlayer, Kaffeine seems to be having some trouble).

The conductor is Krzysztof Penderecki himself.

Charles

The Utrenja sounds interesting by the title alone. I am fond of Penderecki. I have the St. Luke's Passion on Naxos and I recall really enjoying that music.

I have on the sidelines the Violin Concerto no. 2 Metamorphosen  with Mutter. Has anyone heard this recording and what is your opinion on it?

Maciek

There are some (very short) remarks on the Mutter disc in the Mutter thread.

Charles

Maciek

Quote from: Maciek on January 08, 2009, 05:13:13 AM
Oh, and speaking of chances to hear Penderecki's St Luke Passion: it will be performed at Canterbury Cathedral on 2nd May, as part of the "Polish Season" in Britain, which starts this May and ends May 2010. I guess that will be the opening concert.

Well, not the opening night, strictly speaking. In fact, one of the last concerts of the first "run". More details on the Sounds New festival web page.