I am an unrepentant admirer of the music Penderecki has written since 1980 ;D

You should change your user name to 'The Unrepentant Pendereckian'   ;D

Dundonnell

Quote from: ChamberNut on October 03, 2011, 11:34:05 AM
You should change your user name to 'The Unrepentant Pendereckian'   ;D

Oh, I don't think so. I don't like his music that much. ;D

lescamil

Quote from: jhns on September 28, 2011, 02:49:33 AM
I will revisit his symphony with vocals, the seventh. I like atonal vocal music but I usually don't like it just instrumental.

The seventh symphony is very tonal, and it establishes tonalities within the work quite firmly. It even ends with a huge E major chord. Yes, there are some chromaticisms, but it's just one or two steps forward from Wagner and Bruckner, really. Also check out the eighth symphony, which is also very tonal, and is more like a song cycle. Both of these vocal symphonies are very beautiful.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dundonnell on October 03, 2011, 11:42:18 AM
Oh, I don't think so. I don't like his music that much. ;D

Yeah, I can't say I'm that big of a fan of Penderecki. I think he has written some good music like his Polish Requiem for example, but honestly I don't think this is music I will return to very often.

Brahmsian

Yup, call me a fan of Penderecki's sound world.  Officially!  :)

I've listened to these three so far, the first disc of music I had already heard previously.  Loved all that I have heard so far!

[asin]B00004D3II[/asin]

[asin]B001U1L9UI[/asin]

[asin]B000U7V9EY[/asin]

jowcol

Quote from: ChamberNut on October 20, 2011, 06:14:12 AM
Yup, call me a fan of Penderecki's sound world.  Officially!  :)

I've listened to these three so far, the first disc of music I had already heard previously.  Loved all that I have heard so far!

[asin]B00004D3II[/asin]

[asin]B001U1L9UI[/asin]

[asin]B000U7V9EY[/asin]

Utrenja was a fave a mine in High School--although I loved it, I also had fun playing it at the latter stages of a party where some very drunken Led Zepplin fans would scream for more Zepplin.  It usually got them sobered up and out the door quick.  I also think that Utrenja was responsible for someone quitting the restaurant I worked at. (This is back in the late 70s.)  I had started at this place, got on the wrong side of one of teh managers, and was just given cleanup duty, but they let me play my portable cassette player.  So I was scrubbing out the interior of a walk in refrigerator, and was booming Utrenja as loud as I could, since no one could hear me through the door, and it did give a nice "tomb" like ambiance.

OUt on the floor, some poor sap was having his first night waiting tables, and was getting really worked up and overwhelmed,  The management decided to take away his tables, and use him as a gofer the rest of the night, so that he might get better accustomed.  After sending him back for silverware, glasses, etc, he was sent back to get more Tatar sauce, which let him to the walk-in refrigerator.  I was cleaning away, minding my business, when I turned around and saw him staring at me working his jaw, a tray of tartar sauce in his hands, and stammering out a question about the music.

"You like that? " I answered.  "It's the Entombment of Christ. It's trying to capture the horror of man killing God."

At that, he dropped the tray, and ran out the back door.  He never came back to collect the pay for the 2-3 hours that he worked.
"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington

John Copeland

Quote from: jowcol on October 20, 2011, 07:18:56 AM
Utrenja was a fave a mine in High School--although I loved it, I also had fun playing it at the latter stages of a party where some very drunken Led Zepplin fans would scream for more Zepplin.  It usually got them sobered up and out the door quick.  I also think that Utrenja was responsible for someone quitting the restaurant I worked at. (This is back in the late 70s.)  I had started at this place, got on the wrong side of one of teh managers, and was just given cleanup duty, but they let me play my portable cassette player.  So I was scrubbing out the interior of a walk in refrigerator, and was booming Utrenja as loud as I could, since no one could hear me through the door, and it did give a nice "tomb" like ambiance.
OUt on the floor, some poor sap was having his first night waiting tables, and was getting really worked up and overwhelmed,  The management decided to take away his tables, and use him as a gofer the rest of the night, so that he might get better accustomed.  After sending him back for silverware, glasses, etc, he was sent back to get more Tatar sauce, which let him to the walk-in refrigerator.  I was cleaning away, minding my business, when I turned around and saw him staring at me working his jaw, a tray of tartar sauce in his hands, and stammering out a question about the music.
"You like that? " I answered.  "It's the Entombment of Christ. It's trying to capture the horror of man killing God."
At that, he dropped the tray, and ran out the back door.  He never came back to collect the pay for the 2-3 hours that he worked.

Yes.  His music is as scary as hell.  Wierd and wonderful.  Incisive in a shocking way.  In the late 70's, I would have ran away too.  in fact...
****runs away screaming****

Cato

Quote from: John of Clydebank on October 20, 2011, 07:33:06 AM
Yes.  His music is as scary as hell.  Weird and wonderful.  Incisive in a shocking way.  In the late 70's, I would have run away too.  in fact...
****runs away screaming****

I own the score to Part I, and it is interesting to see how Penederecki notated the riot.

The work is one of his better sound-block experimental "Polish school" efforts.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

bhodges

Quote from: jowcol on October 20, 2011, 07:18:56 AM

Great story!  ;D Thanks so much for sharing...

--Bruce

lescamil

I'll also throw in some words of praise for that story, and also for you having the guts to play it in near public (I would only play it in my car, that's it). Utrenja is definitely one of those works that really hits you in your core, whether you're religious or not. I also own the score for Part 1, and it is a work of art on its own. Penderecki's early works are definitely worth looking at on paper to see how everything is done.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

snyprrr

I am poised for a Penderecki phase. Please help me with what to get.

All I currently have is the EMI 2cd set with the Symphonies 1-2. Here are the works I am considering:

Symphony 2
Symphony 3
Symphony 4

Polish Requiem
St. Luke Passion (used to have Argo)

Utrenya

Dimensions of T&S
(any other earlier vocal/orchestral piece) Te Deum

Violin Concerto NO.1 (I KNOW, I KNOW)
Cello Concerto No.2

The Symphonies 2/4, and the two concertos are on so many issues, it's hard to figure out which one to try.

Anyhow, I'm sure there's someone out there who will hold my hand here. Anyone? ;D

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: snyprrr on October 25, 2011, 05:43:18 AM
Symphony 3

Get it, if you have nothing against a neo-romantic approach. Only one recording (Naxos).

QuoteSt. Luke Passion (used to have Argo)

Again, get the Naxos (Wit) - very dramatic. Have you tried the chamber music (Sextet et al.)?
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

petrarch

Quote from: snyprrr on October 25, 2011, 05:43:18 AM
All I currently have is the EMI 2cd set with the Symphonies 1-2.

Which EMI 2CD set, the one with Symphony 1 or the one with Symphony 2? I don't think there is one with both.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

snyprrr

Quote from: petrarch on October 25, 2011, 06:44:02 AM
Which EMI 2CD set, the one with Symphony 1 or the one with Symphony 2? I don't think there is one with both.

Yea, that set has 1-2, Venetian Games, Funeral Music, Livre... you gotta know whi... whooops, sorry, that's LUTOSLAWSKI, haha...

no, it's the EMI 2cd with Threnody, etc.

OY!! ::) Am I gaga, or kookoo?? ??? ??? ???

Anyhow, yes, I NEED some KP. All I have is that one EMI set with Threnody. I'm pretty well hip with whatever style he's doing. Not so much interested in the Chamber Music at this time... would rather play catch up with the 60s-80s.

It seems there are things ONLY available on Naxos? Flourescences? Polymorphia? Dimensions?(NOT)...

Which Symphony out of 2-4 is The One?? 3?

snyprrr

I've gotten myself into a real CDCDCD moment here. Here's what I'm considering:

Christmas Symphony (w/Brudowicz(?)- Olympia)

Christmas Symphony/Violin Concerto 1 (PolNag)

Christmas Symphony 2/4 (Naxos)

Violin Concerto 1/Horn Concerto (Channel)
Violin Concerto 1/ Sym 2 (PolNag)
Violin Concerto 1 (Stern/Sony)
Violin Concerto 1 (Edinger... HOW?? many permutations of this are there??)
Violin Concertos 1/2 (Naxos)
Violin Concerto 1/ Cello Concerto 2 (Orfeo)

Cello Concerto 2 (Orfeo)
Cello Concerto 2 (Erato)

I'm still sifting through the vocal cds. I'd like the Ormandy Utrenja.

snyprrr

Penderecki's disjointed discography gives me the CDCDCD jitters!! ??? :-[ :-\ :-* ;D

Brahmsian

Quote from: snyprrr on October 25, 2011, 08:23:05 PM
Penderecki's disjointed discography gives me the CDCDCD jitters!! ??? :-[ :-\ :-* ;D

Get Polymorphia!  A wonderful, incredibly frightening, eerie piece.  The loud pizzicato strings at one point invokes an image of a large mutant deadly spider, racing on a hardwood floor, making its way closer to its impending victim!  :o