Krzysztof Penderecki (1933-2020)

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Quote from: MDL on November 24, 2012, 07:11:35 AM
and I haven't fully got my head around Strophen yet,

Markowski recording is pretty clangorous  and can distort.

MDL

Quote from: snyprrr on November 26, 2012, 06:14:05 AM
Markowski recording is pretty clangorous  and can distort.

I wasn't aware there was a Markowski recording of Strophen. I'll give the Wit another go tonight. It just hasn't clicked with me yet.

MDL

A new production of The Devils of Loudun, in the composer's latest revision, is being performed in Copenhagen, Warsaw and at the Edinburgh Festival!

http://kglteater.dk/whats-on/performances/season-2012-2013/opera/djaevlene-fra-loudun

http://www.lionelfriend.com/images/thoughts_may2012.pdf

Stage: Operaen Store Scene
Title: The Devils of Loudun
Artform: Opera
Performance period: 12. Feb. - 26. Mar. 2013
Duration: Approx. 1 hour 50 minutes. No interval.
Price: 895kr - 125kr
Dates: 12/02, 14/02, 27/02, 05/03, 12/03, 19/03, 24/03, 26/03

lescamil

Quote from: MDL on January 18, 2013, 05:30:29 AM
A new production of The Devils of Loudun, in the composer's latest revision, is being performed in Copenhagen, Warsaw and at the Edinburgh Festival!

http://kglteater.dk/whats-on/performances/season-2012-2013/opera/djaevlene-fra-loudun

http://www.lionelfriend.com/images/thoughts_may2012.pdf

Stage: Operaen Store Scene
Title: The Devils of Loudun
Artform: Opera
Performance period: 12. Feb. - 26. Mar. 2013
Duration: Approx. 1 hour 50 minutes. No interval.
Price: 895kr - 125kr
Dates: 12/02, 14/02, 27/02, 05/03, 12/03, 19/03, 24/03, 26/03

Any idea if this will be broadcast? I'd love to record it.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

MDL

No idea as yet, but I really have to record this. Might go to Edinburgh.

dyn

i feel like Penderecki (in the early works) is one of the century's few genuine neo-romantics—i.e. actually carrying on the romantic tradition with modern means. the early works seem to me much more powerful & affecting than the later ones, even if he is a bit of a one-note composer; maybe he wasn't inspired by the radical sonorities anymore, but it's hard to deny that the later works have had success among a much narrower niche and lack the visceral power of e.g. Threnody or Polymorphia for a lot of audiences.

on my mind lately because i recently acquired Utrenja which is beautiful. Something that could have only worked once, but still.

not edward

I see the February Naxos listing has a new Wit/Penderecki disc out, with the flute and piano concertos. I wasn't greatly impressed by the other Naxos recording of the flute concerto but maybe this will be a better option. I was more impressed by the one hearing I had of the piano concerto and may enjoy reacquainting myself with it.

http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.572696
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

MDL

Quote from: edward on January 31, 2013, 05:07:47 PM
I see the February Naxos listing has a new Wit/Penderecki disc out, with the flute and piano concertos. I wasn't greatly impressed by the other Naxos recording of the flute concerto but maybe this will be a better option. I was more impressed by the one hearing I had of the piano concerto and may enjoy reacquainting myself with it.

http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.572696

I haven't heard the Flute Concerto. I haven't been able to get through the Piano Concerto yet; I tend to lose patience with it about halfway through. The Horn Concerto is quite engaging, though.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

not edward

Quote from: Velimir on April 25, 2013, 01:47:45 PM
Here's a rave review of a new issue with all 3 of KP's string quartets, plus the one by Lutoslawski. Anyone heard this yet?

http://audaud.com/2013/04/penderecki-string-quartet-no-1-string-quartet-no-2-string-quartet-no-3-leaves-of-an-unwritten-diary-lutoslawski-string-quartet-royal-string-q-hyperion/
Not heard this one; for my complete Penderecki string quartets I've been very happy with the DAFO Quartet on Dux, who couple the three quartets with the string trio, clarinet quartet and Der unterbrochene Gedanke. I might not be quite as ecstatic as the reviewer quoted about the merits of the 3rd quartet, but I do think it's one of his strongest recent works.

[asin]B004UBB3N8[/asin]

The new Hyperion issue does look intriguing, though: I very much liked the Royal's complete Gorecki quartets & felt they were a distinct improvement on the Kronos performances.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

snyprrr

Quote from: Velimir on April 25, 2013, 01:47:45 PM
Here's a rave review of a new issue with all 3 of KP's string quartets, plus the one by Lutoslawski. Anyone heard this yet?

http://audaud.com/2013/04/penderecki-string-quartet-no-1-string-quartet-no-2-string-quartet-no-3-leaves-of-an-unwritten-diary-lutoslawski-string-quartet-royal-string-q-hyperion/

That's a very short cd?

Quote from: edward on April 25, 2013, 05:04:28 PM
Not heard this one; for my complete Penderecki string quartets I've been very happy with the DAFO Quartet on Dux, who couple the three quartets with the string trio, clarinet quartet and Der unterbrochene Gedanke. I might not be quite as ecstatic as the reviewer quoted about the merits of the 3rd quartet, but I do think it's one of his strongest recent works.

[asin]B004UBB3N8[/asin]

The new Hyperion issue does look intriguing, though: I very much liked the Royal's complete Gorecki quartets & felt they were a distinct improvement on the Kronos performances.

The DAFO are culled from two other Dux recordings, with some interesting other stuff.

The new erato

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: edward on April 25, 2013, 05:04:28 PM
Not heard this one; for my complete Penderecki string quartets I've been very happy with the DAFO Quartet on Dux,

I didn't know that one existed, thanks for mentioning it. And it has the String Trio, which I lack.

BrianSA

Out of sheer idle curiosity rather than any particular need to know, can anybody here, better informed than me, tell me exactly what's on the go with Penderecki's sixth symphony?  I gather that for some reason it lies in a Petterssonian state of incompletion, and that's as much as I know.  Its absence from my recently acquired Naxos box is an offence to my sense of symmetry and wholeness...

Brian

ibanezmonster

I couldn't find anything. He better finish it. It would not be good to go down as the first major composer to completely skip a symphony number.

BrianSA

Found via random google, dated Jan 30, presumably but not verifiably 2013:

"I understand that Penderecki's Sixth Symphony is to be premiered this
weekend in München with James Levine as conductor. Would like to hear
any feedback from anyone who's able to attend."

Can anybody verify or otherwise elaborate on this?

I suppose that when/if the Master ever does get around to finishing it, we can more or less assume that Naxos will be there in the sidelines, ready, willing and able to record it?

Brian

ibanezmonster

Quote from: BrianSA on April 27, 2013, 07:40:23 AM
Found via random google, dated Jan 30, presumably but not verifiably 2013:

"I understand that Penderecki's Sixth Symphony is to be premiered this
weekend in München with James Levine as conductor. Would like to hear
any feedback from anyone who's able to attend."

Can anybody verify or otherwise elaborate on this?

I suppose that when/if the Master ever does get around to finishing it, we can more or less assume that Naxos will be there in the sidelines, ready, willing and able to record it?

Brian
I was going to post this, except Levine returns to conducting next month. I don't think he has conducted for years, so that post made absolutely no sense.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Velimir on April 13, 2007, 01:05:58 AM
I love The Dream of Jacob! It's a gem. It reminds me of Ligeti's orchestral pieces from the 1960s, but with an added narrative element.

I watched The Shining last night for the first time in decades. Although I knew already that some Penderecki was used on the soundtrack, I had forgotten how extensive that use was. In particular, The Dream of Jacob is played twice almost in its entirety during two crucial (and very creepy) scenes, and you hear bits of it at other times. There's also excerpts from Utrenja and some other pieces, plus music by Bartok and Ligeti.

I think Stanley Kubrick did an awful lot to turn people on to modernist music.

Brahmsian

Some fantastic news for the ChamberNut Penderecki collection.  It is about to increase substantially!!  :)

That is because a very generous gift by John (Mirror Image) is coming my way.  He needs to make room in his library, and all Penderecki must go!   ;D

In all seriousness, thank you so much John!  :)  I am very much looking forward to the arrival of your gift to me.  I very much appreciate it!

Mirror Image