Krzysztof Penderecki (1933-2020)

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 10, 2014, 07:52:20 PM
Maybe I should just stick with Szymanowski, Lutoslawski, and Bacewicz. :)
Try Gruppen by Stockhausen.  I can supply videos and instruction manuals proving it is the most original and successful piece of music ever composed. In fact, if you follow the videos and diagrams closely you won't even need to listen to Gruppen to appreciate it.  $:)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on March 10, 2014, 08:24:39 PM
Try Gruppen by Stockhausen.  I can supply videos and instruction manuals proving it is the most original and successful piece of music ever composed. In fact, if you follow the videos and diagrams closely you won't even need to listen to Gruppen to appreciate it.  $:)

I heard Gruppen once...well not the whole thing. I almost busted out laughing and I do remember thinking "This is the composer James totes around as if he's some kind of god?" :laugh:

Ken B

Quote from: Velimir on March 10, 2014, 08:13:14 PM
IMHO, he's mistaken his own talent a bit. He is better in smaller forms than large ones, yet unfortunately he insists on writing bombastic orchestral/choral extravaganzas. I do think his chamber music, and what I've heard of his a cappella choral music, is much better.
I agree. I like the sextet a lot for instance. The concertos are more reigned in than the symphonies or huge passions.

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 10, 2014, 08:26:33 PM
I heard Gruppen once...well not the whole thing. I almost busted out laughing and I do remember thinking "This is the composer James totes around as if he's some kind of god?" :laugh:
God can only aspire to Gruppen. That's explained in video 3, starting at the 87 minute mark.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on March 10, 2014, 08:29:50 PM
God can only aspire to Gruppen. That's explained in video 3, starting at the 87 minute mark.

Wow..only the 87 minute mark? Talk about being on a slow boat to nowhere. :)

Daverz

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 10, 2014, 07:12:44 PM
what I've heard of his later works just sound like they were cut from the same cloth and there seems to be a lack of variety in the music

I had the same feeling about the Symphonies, though they seem well constructed.  But I really enjoyed the Piano Concerto.  He seemed to let his hair down a bit there.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on March 10, 2014, 09:04:04 PM
I had the same feeling about the Symphonies, though they seem well constructed.  But I really enjoyed the Piano Concerto.  He seemed to let his hair down a bit there.

I'll have to revisit the Piano Concerto. The only thing I remember about it was it was a bit long given the musical material.

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 10, 2014, 09:54:18 PM
The only thing I remember about it was it was a bit long given the musical material.

I don't think a Pettersson fan gets to complain about that! :P

Again, try his chamber music. 8)

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on March 11, 2014, 04:10:53 AM

I wonder, now, if I ever did get around to the Sextet . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on March 11, 2014, 04:10:53 AM

Correction: I'm not a Pettersson fan. :)

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 11, 2014, 06:04:32 AM
Correction: I'm not a Pettersson fan. :)
Correction: "Correction: I'm not a Pettersson fan this week. :)"

8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on March 11, 2014, 07:29:23 AM
Correction: "Correction: I'm not a Pettersson fan this week. :)"

8)

Don't get me started on Pettersson. If there's a ever a musical stick in the mud, it's him. :)

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 11, 2014, 07:35:45 AM
Don't get me started on Pettersson. If there's a ever a musical stick in the mud, it's him. :)

That is a pretty apt description of Pettersson.  He is a musical depression.

DavidW

I listened to Penderecki's Dies Irae this morning and it just blew me away!  Anyone else fans of that work?

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: DavidW on March 11, 2014, 08:38:52 AM
I listened to Penderecki's Dies Irae this morning and it just blew me away!  Anyone else fans of that work?

Not yet, but you reminded me that I have the piece and haven't listened to it, on a Naxos CD with the rather nice so-called 8th Symphony. I'll try to listen to it soon.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on March 11, 2014, 08:38:52 AM

Isn't this from his Polish Requiem?

Mirror Image

If I continue to frequent this forum, I could turn into a Pendereckian. Oh dear...I suppose there are worse things in life.

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 11, 2014, 08:41:08 PM
If I continue to frequent this forum, I could turn into a Pendereckian. Oh dear...I suppose there are worse things in life.
Bergian.

:laugh: :laugh:

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

The Dies Irae from the Polish Requiem is something else...absolutely gut-wrenching -

http://www.youtube.com/v/FnWbk1UPO2Y