Krzysztof Penderecki (1933-2020)

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Quote from: snyprrr on April 17, 2014, 10:08:40 AM
I need to get to the bottom of this. I'd like to get the Orfeo, which has the two pieces I want, but, at this point, with so many options, I really just want to know what you all think here, especially if you actually have some of the rarer recordings, oy!

Cello Concerto No.2

Zhislin(?)/ Naxos
Rostropovich/ Erato
Noras/ Finlandia-Apex
Monighetti/ Polski Nigr.
Pergamenschow/ Orfeo

Violin Concerto No.1

Stern/ SONY
XXX/ Naxos (Kulka)
Edinger/ Thorofon
Edinger/ Orfeo
XXX/ Channel Classics
XXX/ Polski Nigr.
XXX/ ???

The Channel Classics has a great review which says it's in another class than the rest (so is the price!). I guess- I just don't know who the sound varies here. Stern's expensive again.

Also, a reviewer thought the Naxos CC2 was in a class with the Slava. So, what do you think? (and, we all know this is dreary going, so, I'm not commenting on the music!!) ha

Pleeease?! 0:)

My finger is on the button and a need confirmation- does the Orfeo have shitty Orfeo sound or good Orfeo sound (cause they can be bad)? Or... mm...

snyprrr

Quote from: snyprrr on April 18, 2014, 11:46:53 AM
Pleeease?! 0:)

My finger is on the button and a need confirmation- does the Orfeo have shitty Orfeo sound or good Orfeo sound (cause they can be bad)? Or... mm...

pretty please?

relm1

This is my annual, "Has anyone heard of any updates regarding Penderecki's missing Symphony No. 6?" post.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: relm1 on July 01, 2014, 06:59:41 PM
This is my annual, "Has anyone heard of any updates regarding Penderecki's missing Symphony No. 6?" post.
That's like his middle finger towards everyone interested in collecting his symphonies. 1-8? Got them. Missing 6? Well, you'll always be missing 6. Always. He'll never write it.  >:D

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Greg on July 01, 2014, 07:14:49 PM
That's like his middle finger towards everyone interested in collecting his symphonies. 1-8? Got them. Missing 6? Well, you'll always be missing 6. Always. He'll never write it.  >:D

Maybe he's leaving it to be discovered posthumously, or something.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Velimir on July 01, 2014, 07:22:03 PM
Maybe he's leaving it to be discovered posthumously, or something.
LOL we can only hope. But if he didn't want it to be performed in his lifetime at least for himself to hear, then it must be pretty bad.

kishnevi

Schubert had the Unfinished.  Penderecki has the Uncomposed.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 01, 2014, 07:33:10 PM
Schubert had the Unfinished.  Penderecki has the Uncomposed.
That's a good idea. When his full symphony cycle is released after he dies, they should include it in there with exactly that name. It'll just be a second-long track called "The Uncomposed," and I think that'll satisfy anyone who wants to truly feel like they've collected his complete symphonies.  Maybe in the CD booklet where they have a single page dedicated to each of his symphonies, for the 6th, they could just have a picture of Penderecki sitting in a chair, looking at you with his middle finger up. 8)

petrarch

Quote from: MDL on January 18, 2013, 05:30:29 AM
A new production of The Devils of Loudun, in the composer's latest revision, is being performed in Copenhagen, Warsaw and at the Edinburgh Festival!

http://kglteater.dk/whats-on/performances/season-2012-2013/opera/djaevlene-fra-loudun

http://www.lionelfriend.com/images/thoughts_may2012.pdf

Stage: Operaen Store Scene
Title: The Devils of Loudun
Artform: Opera
Performance period: 12. Feb. - 26. Mar. 2013
Duration: Approx. 1 hour 50 minutes. No interval.
Price: 895kr - 125kr
Dates: 12/02, 14/02, 27/02, 05/03, 12/03, 19/03, 24/03, 26/03

Interesting short interview on the occasion of one of the performances:

http://channel.louisiana.dk/video/krzysztof-penderecki-turning-history-avant-garde
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Cato

I came across a reference to the "in-progress" Sixth Symphony today, and saw that a label called DUX has issued the "Complete Symphonies."

No 6th!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Maestro267

It's complete in the sense that it includes all the symphonies he's completed so far. I think he decided to call Seven Gates his Seventh Symphony for obvious reasons (seven movements, Seven in the title, main motif of seven notes). There was a 7-year time during the 80s and 90s when his Third Symphony didn't fully exist, but during that gap he produced Fourth (1989) and Fifth (1992) Symphonies.

The status of the Sixth is really a mystery though. In-progress could mean absolutely anything. Would you rather him complete his Sixth next or compose a Ninth before he goes?

BTW, I'm a huge fan of Penderecki's music. My favourite living composer. I'm slowly collecting all the Naxos discs, of which I currently have 12.

relm1

It would sort of bug me if the 9th symphony has that title but there are only eight symphonies.  Sort of how a top 10 list with only nine items would drive me nuts.   :-X

lescamil

I am guessing that the 6th symphony is completed, but could perhaps be a withdrawn work. It might perhaps materialize after Penderecki's death. As for a 9th, I saw an interview years ago where he said that that is where he intends to stop, so I think we will get our 9th soon.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

Cato

Quote from: lescamil on July 29, 2015, 08:48:33 AM
I am guessing that the 6th symphony is completed, but could perhaps be a withdrawn work. It might perhaps materialize after Penderecki's death. As for a 9th, I saw an interview years ago where he said that that is where he intends to stop, so I think we will get our 9th soon.

I found this on Alibris where it was selling the Seventh Symphony:

Quote(Richard Whitehouse, in Naxos' program booklet, noted that "though a 'No. 6' had been fully worked out in concept, it had not yet been written." Penderecki completed his Eighth Symphony in 2005, but at that time, the Sixth had still not appeared.)

Which comment reminds of something for another topic!

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Maestro267

One of my favourite Penderecki works is the Piano Concerto "Resurrection". The chorale which occurs throughout always gives me goosebumps, whether played quietly as in its first appearance, or loudly as at the major climax of the work. During that climax, three extra trumpets play from a balcony, and the orchestra drops out at the end, leaving the sound of differently-pitched tam-tams and (pre-recorded) pealing church bells. A fantastic effect.

ibanezmonster

Never writing a sixth symphony Penderecki's pathway to immortality.

Maestro267

Does anyone have a clue what is happening in Utrenja? A large part of why I find that piece quite difficult is the lack of access to a libretto. The Naxos recording doesn't have any texts available, either in the booklet or as a PDF.

Cato

Quote from: Maestro267 on August 11, 2015, 12:22:32 PM
Does anyone have a clue what is happening in Utrenja? A large part of why I find that piece quite difficult is the lack of access to a libretto. The Naxos recording doesn't have any texts available, either in the booklet or as a PDF.

The work has two parts: the original Utrenja was subtitled The Entombment of Christ.  A second part was added a year or two later: The Resurrection of Christ.

I have a copy of the score for Part I in my archives (not handy right now).  The old vinyl recording from Phillips in the 1970's has a translated libretto.  So far I cannot find the translation online.

NAXOS and other companies need to be thinking about making their offerings more sensible.  The cost of a few pieces of paper to do the job right...

Cato

Quote from: Cato on August 11, 2015, 12:46:01 PM
The work has two parts: the original Utrenja was subtitled The Entombment of Christ.  A second part was added a year or two later: The Resurrection of Christ.

I have a copy of the score for Part I in my archives (not handy right now).  The old vinyl recording from Phillips in the 1970's has a translated libretto.  So far I cannot find the translation online.

NAXOS and other companies need to be thinking about making their offerings more sensible.  The cost of a few pieces of paper to do the job right...

For $10.00 on Amazon, that record is available, and I am assuming the seller has not lost the libretto. 

The alternative is to buy two other CD's, one on RCA for Part I, and another for Part II, and hope those companies have included texts.