Lauridsen's Luminosity

Started by Moonfish, February 18, 2015, 10:52:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonfish

I was surprised that we have no thread focused on Morten Lauridsen (b. 1943) and his works. I only recently (today actually) started to listen to his music and was enchanted with his choral works. After experiencing his "O Magnum Mysterium" and "Lux Aeterna" I simply had to continue my exploration of his works and recordings. Any thoughts on Lauridsen's music?

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

There is a recent documentary focused on Lauridsen:

[asin] B0083BTX1A[/asin]

Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/v/3-lNHdMU0y8
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Morten Lauridsen - Lux Aeterna          Vocaal ensemble Cantando/ La Passione/ Luc Anthonis

Truly beautiful! *deep sigh*
Somehow this piece really made me realize that serene and powerful choral music can be written by living composers. Full of life and energy swirling into new shapes and forms as the piece unfolds. I sense a wonder of nature and existence itself in these works.

https://www.youtube.com/v/wZX5wXVY-Ks
Anna Lappé

North Star

Quote from: Moonfish on February 18, 2015, 10:59:18 AMSomehow this piece really made me realize that serene and powerful choral music can be written by living composers.
Have you heard Henning's choral works? 8)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Moonfish

Anna Lappé

North Star

Quote from: Moonfish on February 18, 2015, 11:03:38 AM
He is still alive?  :P
Probably. .
You didn't answer my question, though. (Giving a spin to that Lux aeterna video now)

My photographs on Flickr

Moonfish

Quote from: North Star on February 18, 2015, 11:08:01 AM
Probably. .
You didn't answer my question, though. (Giving a spin to that Lux aeterna video now)

Actually, I haven't.  :'( :'(         Enjoy the Lauridsen piece!    :)
Anna Lappé

North Star

Quote from: Moonfish on February 18, 2015, 11:11:09 AM
Actually, I haven't.  :'( :'( 
Head to the Headquarters, then, with haste

QuoteEnjoy the Lauridsen piece!    :)
Sure sounds nice so far.

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Quote from: Moonfish on February 18, 2015, 11:03:38 AM
He is still alive?  :P
I think it fair to say that there may be indications. 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

I have this CD which I find very moving and really enjoy. Must listen to it again:
[asin]B0007GP69W[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Rons_talking

His Lux Aeturna is an inspiring, lovely work.  He really is a master with the choir and many of his works are already classics. O Magnum Mysterious is his Adagio for Strings, Bolero, Flight of the Bumble Bee, Fanfare for the Common Man...(you get the point). It's become a classical choral mega-hit, and for good reason.