The Hendrik Andriessen

Started by snyprrr, February 21, 2014, 11:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

I'm sorry, I can't find the Thread, so, here we go. I was just browsing, and took a look and his Discography, and behold!, Etcetera have released a 2cd set of all 4 Symphonies plus the other 3-4 famous pieces that are on ALL the other cds, making them all effectively relegated to history. Add the Concertos disc (NM?), the famous vocal/chamber piece, the disc of Chamber Music including the Piano Trio, and maybe an odd piece here or there (I'm always suggestion his incredible piece on the Dorian flute/harp disc "The Glory of the Seine") and it seems like we have the best picture of this Neo-Classicist that we're going to get.

I met him through that just incredible flute/harp piece, and sought in van for something of its searing melodicism. I believe I had the Concertos disc and the 4th Symphony, but I just seemed to enjoy the likes of Malipiero better. However, maybe I'm feeling nostalgic, but Hendrik Andriessen's plaintive Neo-Classicism may just be something MI would enjoy? I'm sure we have a few fans already.

The new erato

Quote from: snyprrr on February 21, 2014, 11:30:52 AM
, and sought in van
You have a van?

The Etcetera set is excellenet BTW, but in variable, though never less than workable, sound.

snyprrr

Quote from: The new erato on February 21, 2014, 12:50:24 PM
You have a van?

The Etcetera set is excellenet BTW, but in variable, though never less than workable, sound.

I think I liked Symphony No.3 the best but isn't it kind of a baroque model? What are your fav HA pieces? Have you heard that awesome flute/harp piece?

The new erato

I cannot recall in detail, though I have ordered vol 1 in the cpo series.

snyprrr

Quote from: The new erato on February 23, 2014, 12:12:32 PM
I cannot recall in detail, though I have ordered vol 1 in the cpo series.

But that only has one different piece than the Etc.,... waaah, but I'm sure the sound & performance will be exceptional. However, are we not getting a glut of HA's two famous variations?

There's also a harp concerto and an organ concerto, especially, that would be nice to hear (maybe YT?).

Actually, cpo needs to step up their game- their Badings Cycle stalled before it began, so, I'm wondering how this will go. Sallinen was treated nicely though.

The new erato

Quote from: snyprrr on February 23, 2014, 04:52:33 PM

Actually, cpo needs to step up their game- their Badings Cycle stalled before it began, so, I'm wondering how this will go. Sallinen was treated nicely though.
I completely agree on all counts.

pjme

I'm not so sure if this CD is readily available.
Badings harpconcerto is a powerful work.
Andriessen's organconcerto has Wagnerian weight.

The other works are interesting aswell. orthel's Scherzo is quite dark.
A good CD.

Peter

snyprrr

Quote from: pjme on February 24, 2014, 12:11:29 AM

I'm not so sure if this CD is readily available.
Badings harpconcerto is a powerful work.
Andriessen's organconcerto has Wagnerian weight.

The other works are interesting aswell. orthel's Scherzo is quite dark.
A good CD.

Peter

oy, yes, that's the one, and I do believe it's highly $$$- thanks for the description! Badings also has some flute/harp piece that is - not as awesome as the Andriessen- but still solidly mid-century cool.

kyjo

Recently discovered a work right up my alley, Andriessen's Ricercare for orchestra:

https://youtu.be/ZwbZz7NSTMA

What a magnificent work! Beginning with a weighty opening, it develops very engagingly with imaginative orchestration. Stylistically it is rather reminiscent of the "beefy"
neoclassicism of Martinu and Frank Martin but with an added neo-romantic bent. Andriessen certainly seems like a composer worth exploring further. I recall enjoying his 4th Symphony quite a bit.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

relm1

Quote from: kyjo on July 31, 2019, 02:34:58 PM
Recently discovered a work right up my alley, Andriessen's Ricercare for orchestra:

https://youtu.be/ZwbZz7NSTMA

What a magnificent work! Beginning with a weighty opening, it develops very engagingly with imaginative orchestration. Stylistically it is rather reminiscent of the "beefy"
neoclassicism of Martinu and Frank Martin but with an added neo-romantic bent. Andriessen certainly seems like a composer worth exploring further. I recall enjoying his 4th Symphony quite a bit.

Oh yeah, that's a lovely work.  Glad you "discovered" it finally. 

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on July 31, 2019, 04:28:58 PM
Oh yeah, that's a lovely work.  Glad you "discovered" it finally.
+1 I enjoyed it as well. Thanks for posting. Through the generosity of Christo I have also discovered his excellent symphonies on CPO.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).