Beethoven PI Symphonies: Make believe it's a desert island

Started by Gurn Blanston, August 07, 2019, 06:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Brian on August 08, 2019, 12:26:44 PM
What's the flippy flappy flipper sound that comes in Hogwood's Seventh finale around 1:57-2:05 and 2:18?

???   Can't hear it. Listening to a FLAC so it wasn't clipped. Maybe your streamed version has some compression artifacts?  :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordo on August 08, 2019, 12:30:34 PM
No doubt, prompted by this thread today I listened to Immerseel's and Brüggen's 1st symphony. By the way, I hadn't heard Immerseel in a very long time, which it's weird because a few years ago I thought his cycle is perfect.

Well, I used to have one or another cycle seemingly on an endless loop, but these days it is a treat to listen to a whole cycle, which it should be, dammit!  :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: (: premont :) on August 08, 2019, 12:47:29 PM
I have a weak spot for Goodman and Hogwood in general. On the other hand Weill's sleep-provoking Pastorale was the recording which convinced me not to acquire Weill's cycle.
So:

1: Hogwood
2: Hogwood
3: Savall (wins because of the prominent brass section and the general military air, because this is a militant symphony)
4: Hogwood
5: Immerseel (agree that this is an exiting interpretation, almost as tense as Klemperer's 1955 mono)
6: Goodman
7: Hogwood
8: Don't recall a satisfying HIP recording. Brüggen 1 may be closest (haven't heard Brüggen 2)
9: Herreweghe (agree fully - and his MI cycle is IMO most interesting. I prefer PI, but I am not fanatic about it  :)).

Thanks for the input. The challenge mounts. Also I need to go back and relisten Weil's 6th. Haven't heard it for a couple of years, but I recall enjoying it considerably at the time.  Hmmm...

8)

Gurn Blanston

The votes so far:

1st - Brüggen, Hogwood
2nd - Hogwood
3rd - Savall (written in stone)
4th - Hogwood
5th - Immerseel (X4)
6th - Goodman, Gardiner, Weil
7th - Hogwood
8th - Brüggen
9th - Herreweghe (written in stone)

Well, every work has a vote now. All I need to do is get enough additional to let me have a different band for each one. Lots of juggling here!  :)

8)