Complete Sets of Beethoven's Symphonies

Started by jlaurson, March 10, 2015, 11:16:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

I don't know if this has been already mentioned but it's very good. Actually, it's my go-to set. (The sound is simply glorious, despite its age.)

MusicWeb review here: http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2017/Mar/Beethoven_sys_0002672CCC.htm
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

SurprisedByBeauty

I had that in my hand, yesterday, and was wondering. I know I want his Schumann...  It was the older set, which isn't half as pretty, so I opted against it. But I will acquire Konwitschny, sooner or later.
There certainly is/was lots of sleeper-excellence among these GDR conductors. Notably him, Herbig, and Suitner.

amw

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 23, 2019, 05:23:29 PM
I enjoyed the 9th. It is closer to Zinman than anyone else I can think of, but that's fine: I like Zinman! :)
I finally got around to listening to the Fischer 9th. I don't have a strong opinion on the first 3 movements but will say the vocal soloists and choir are very good, better than most of the other recordings of the 9th that I have. I do get the feeling that he was listening to the live Gardiner Missa Solemnis on SDG while he was making the recording though.