Irish Composers

Started by Lethevich, January 31, 2010, 05:31:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy Bland

calyptorhynchus

Someone mentioned somewhere here (not on this thread, obviously) that Ina Boyle's Symphony No.2 was being premiered in Dublin on 30 Sept. Does anyone know if it is being broadcast/streamed or will be available for listening later?
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Roy Bland

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on September 26, 2022, 01:34:49 PM
Someone mentioned somewhere here (not on this thread, obviously) that Ina Boyle's Symphony No.2 was being premiered in Dublin on 30 Sept. Does anyone know if it is being broadcast/streamed or will be available for listening later?
https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/artsandculture/arid-40965419.html

calyptorhynchus

Ok, so I got on to this site after reading Roy's link

https://www.rte.ie/radio/lyricfm/lyric-live/

It looks as if you will be able to listen later.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

calyptorhynchus

I drew a blank of hearing the Ina Boyle Second Symphony. I found the programme on the RTE website, didn't listen to it when broadcast (would have been the middle of the night for me) and then waited for them to put it up as an episode for later listening... today they have put up yesterday's programme (7 Oct) meaning they're missing out on the 30 Sept concert.

However I interpret this as a hopeful sign, I assume the orchestra and performers don't want it to be available for streaming in case people record it and this lessens the demand for a future recording.

aligreto

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on October 07, 2022, 05:30:00 PM
I drew a blank of hearing the Ina Boyle Second Symphony. I found the programme on the RTE website, didn't listen to it when broadcast (would have been the middle of the night for me) and then waited for them to put it up as an episode for later listening... today they have put up yesterday's programme (7 Oct) meaning they're missing out on the 30 Sept concert.

However I interpret this as a hopeful sign, I assume the orchestra and performers don't want it to be available for streaming in case people record it and this lessens the demand for a future recording.

That is interesting and I would draw the same conclusion as you. Hopefully they did record it.

Maestro267

At first I read that as meaning you heard the symphony but it did nothing for you.

calyptorhynchus

No, I really like the Ina Boyle disc we have with the first symphony and have also heard the String Quartet. Obviously not a European modernist barnstormer, but a real talent who wrote beautiful music. Surprising that it has taken so long for her music to be rediscovered especially as it is so Irish and the Republic been in existence with Irish nationalist cultural policies since she was a young woman! Might be the fact she was a woman.