Richard Arnell (1917-2009)

Started by vandermolen, July 29, 2007, 02:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Thank you Johan for alerting me to my 1000th post on the Forum, I noticed a while back that I had posted c 990 times but would have missed this great moment ( ;D) had you not alerted me to it. Thanks Colin too for your good wishes. I too own a conductors baton and have conducted all the great orchestras of the world from my living room, sometimes indulging in Leonard Bernstein type dramatic choreographic gestures (although I always ensure that the living room curtains are closed, so that I can not be observed from the street  :o)

I have ordered the Arnell CD "The Great Detective" etc.

Eyeresist,

I would be inclined to go for the Dutton CD of symphonies 4 and 5. I know that Arnell himself is delighted with the Dutton performances. In a response to my fan mail he said "I have passed your letter on to the excellent conductor Martin Yates.."

Johan,

I think that symphonies 3-5 are all wonderful and I have been appreciating No 2 more and more. The greatest moment of all for me is the end of No 5. The Symphony is dedicated in memory of Arnell's father, who liked to sing a music hall song "Dear old Pals, jolly old Pals". This appears at the end of the Symphony No 5 and is my favourite Arnell moment of all.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on July 26, 2008, 02:01:35 AM
I too own a conductors baton and have conducted all the great orchestras of the world from my living room, sometimes indulging in Leonard Bernstein type dramatic choreographic gestures (although I always ensure that the living room curtains are closed, so that I can not be observed from the street  :o)

We've all been there.  ;) My Brian performances are legendary.

QuoteI think that symphonies 3-5 are all wonderful and I have been appreciating No 2 more and more. The greatest moment of all for me is the end of No 5. The Symphony is dedicated in memory of Arnell's father, who liked to sing a music hall song "Dear old Pals, jolly old Pals". This appears at the end of the Symphony No 5 and is my favourite Arnell moment of all.

As I wrote earlier, I have listened to the first movement of the Fifth, which I found very powerful indeed. I am busy with an important passage in my novel, and want to listen to the whole of the work when I can devote all my intellectual and emotional attention to it. It would be wrong to hear that ending, for instance, for the first time ever whilst not being there completely...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Quote from: Jezetha on July 26, 2008, 02:13:05 AM
We've all been there.  ;) My Brian performances are legendary.

:) Sorry I wasn't there to see them. My greatest moment was probably the end of Shostakovich's 11th Symphony.

ps good luck with the novel.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dundonnell

I listened to the 4th and 5th symphonies again last night in an attempt to validate what I was trying to say above. Tremendous symphonies both and I am pleased that my judgments on both held up :) As I think that you said earlier, Jeffrey, how one would like to imagine Arnell's 5th being played at the Proms! Top rank orchestra, good conductor....it would indeed raise the roof and bring the house down(interesting mixed metaphors :)). Won't happen, of course, at least not in the next few years :(

Conducting in the privacy of one's own home can be a dangerous business. Certainly scares my cat :) I can recall a couple of accidents as the baton struck some item of furniture or other :(  If I had to chose one activity however which would bring me the greatest pleasure in life it would be to conduct a huge orchestra and choir in some great piece of music. And...if I had to choose which........

the last two movements of the Mahler 2nd 'The Resurrection" :) :) :)

(Trouble is...I would probably drop dead with a coronary towards the end ;D :)_

J.Z. Herrenberg

We'll spare you the 'Judex' movement then, from the Gothic. My choice...

I'm looking forward to the Arnell 4th too, now!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Dundonnell

If we only had Gilbert Kaplan's money, Johan :( :)

vandermolen

My cat also takes a dim view of my conducting activities.

vandermolen

Listened to "The Great Detective" and "The Angels" tonight.  Both very enjoyable.  I was reminded of Copland in many places.  Neither grabbed me initially as much as symphonies 3-5 on first hearing, but they both left me wanting to replay the CD. I was astonished to read that Arnell is the grandfather of Boris Johnson, the new Mayor of London  :o

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on July 30, 2008, 02:05:08 PM
I was astonished to read that Arnell is the grandfather of Boris Johnson, the new Mayor of London  :o

:o :o ;D ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: Jezetha on July 30, 2008, 02:30:12 PM
:o :o ;D ;D

Bizarre, isn't it? But that's what it says in the booklet notes.

I've just listened to the whole CD again and like it more and more. The Angels, in particular.  The slow movement is quite beautiful and the very beginning and end of the work is especially memorable.  The Great Detective is good fun with some great moments.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on July 30, 2008, 02:47:25 PM
Bizarre, isn't it? But that's what it says in the booklet notes.

I've just listened to the whole CD again and like it more and more. The Angels, in particular.  The slow movement is quite beautiful and the very beginning and end of the work is especially memorable.  The Great Detective is good fun with some great moments.

I wonder why they care to mention it in the first place (but I wonder too what this tells us of Boris...)

I am still looking forward to listening to 4 & 5, btw. Perhaps tomorrow. I must be in a receptive mood for unknown music. At the moment I am rather creative, ergo: can't have too many things really impinging...

(Addition: nice new Myaskovsky avatar, Jeffrey!)

vandermolen

Quote from: Jezetha on July 30, 2008, 02:52:38 PM
I wonder why they care to mention it in the first place (and I wonder what this tells us of Boris...)

I am still looking forward to listening to 4 & 5, btw. Perhaps tomorrow. I must be in a receptive mood for unknown music. At the moment I am rather creative, ergo: can't have too many things really impinging...

I'm sure that you will really like No 5, especially the end! (No 4 is great too). I look forward to hearing your reactions.

The harps at the end of The Angels remind me of the very end of VW's 9th symphony.

Dundonnell

Boris Johnson is also the son-in-law of the recently deceased great British TV and Radio journalist, Sir Charles Wheeler.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on July 30, 2008, 04:49:05 PM
Boris Johnson is also the son-in-law of the recently deceased great British TV and Radio journalist, Sir Charles Wheeler.

They share(d) great hair - Charles Wheeler's daughter must like that...

Amateur psychology, I know.  ;)

On topic: listening to Arnell's Fifth. I am in the middle movement. Strong work. He is like Brian without the counterpoint - epic power, grimness, grit, unsentimental lyricism. Can't wait for that much-praised coda...

vandermolen

Quote from: Jezetha on July 30, 2008, 10:17:07 PM
They share(d) great hair - Charles Wheeler's daughter must like that...

Amateur psychology, I know.  ;)

On topic: listening to Arnell's Fifth. I am in the middle movement. Strong work. He is like Brian without the counterpoint - epic power, grimness, grit, unsentimental lyricism. Can't wait for that much-praised coda...

Johan, congratulations on your 3000th post! I suggest that you celebrate by finally listening to the end of Arnell's 5th Symphony  8)

(Am pleased you like the new NM avatar)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on July 31, 2008, 12:05:11 PM
Johan, congratulations on your 3000th post! I suggest that you celebrate by finally listening to the end of Arnell's 5th Symphony  8)

(Am pleased you like the new NM avatar)

Thank you!

I already have listened to that end, of course! My verdict - great conclusion. As if the music wants to conjure up the father. Beautifully done.

vandermolen

Quote from: Jezetha on July 31, 2008, 12:10:46 PM
Thank you!

As if the music wants to conjure up the father. Beautifully done.

And beautifully put! You are so right  :)

Dundonnell

Quote from: Jezetha on July 31, 2008, 12:10:46 PM
Thank you!

I already have listened to that end, of course! My verdict - great conclusion. As if the music wants to conjure up the father. Beautifully done.

And did it leave YOU wanting to cheer? :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on July 31, 2008, 01:53:12 PM
And did it leave YOU wanting to cheer? :)

No... And that is because of that wonderful and rather wistfully introspective passage just before the coda. That quiet passage, with its mournful accent, to me is so strong that it makes the closing bars not as unequivocally rousing as they otherwise would have been. Sorrow seems subtly to outweigh triumph...

Dundonnell

Quote from: Jezetha on July 31, 2008, 02:07:38 PM
No... And that is because of that wonderful and rather wistfully introspective passage just before the coda. That quiet passage, with its mournful accent, to me is so strong that it makes the closing bars not as unequivocally rousing as they otherwise would have been. Sorrow seems subtly to outweigh triumph...

Oh... :(