The Music Room > Opera and Vocal

Lamentations

(1/9) > >>

San Antone:
The Lamentations of Jeremiah has been set for vocal ensemble over the centuries countless times.  This thread will be where members can post their favorite versions and especially works that may be lesser known or in some manner unique.

A related group of works, Tenebrae, sung during Easter Week can also be posted.

Lamentations is known to Jews as Eicha which is usually translated as “O how has” which is a cry of shock and grief.  Eicha is chanted every year on Tisha b’Av (the 9th of the Jewish month of Av) commemorating the destruction of the Beit HaMikdash (Temple in Jerusalem). 

There have been at least two fairly well known settings by Jewish composers, Ernst Krenek’s Lamentatio Jeremiæ Prophetæ (in Latin) and the 3rd movement of Leonard Bernstein’s Jeremiah Symphony (In Hebrew).

I hope to discover many more versions through your suggestions.

k a rl h e nn i ng:
There is Threni, of course . . . it's one of the odd casualties of the Naxos re-issue practice that Robt Craft's wonderful recording originally on Koch is not presently available.

k a rl h e nn i ng:
The Ginastera is lovely, if quite brief.

San Antone:

--- Quote from: karlhenning on March 25, 2015, 11:06:43 AM ---There is Threni, of course . . . it's one of the odd casualties of the Naxos re-issue practice that Robt Craft's wonderful recording originally on Koch is not presently available.

--- End quote ---

Wonderful late work.  Compared to most of his other works, this one does not seem to receive many recordings.  At least that is my impression.

San Antone:

--- Quote from: karlhenning on March 25, 2015, 11:09:23 AM ---The Ginastera is lovely, if quite brief.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version