The Music Room > Opera and Vocal

Lamentations

<< < (2/9) > >>

k a rl h e nn i ng:

--- Quote from: sanantonio on March 25, 2015, 11:11:22 AM ---Wonderful late work.  Compared to most of his other works, this one does not seem to receive many recordings.  At least that is my impression.

--- End quote ---

I only know of two, this one, and Igor's own.  It is a wonderful piece, and deserves better.  OTOH, Igor Fyodorovich is splendidly well represented in recordings, so . . . .

--- Quote from: sanantonio on March 25, 2015, 11:12:23 AM ---This one I have not heard, but have heard of.  I will look for it on Spotify, if available there, and listen soon.

--- End quote ---

Tangentially, the Schnittke is a fabulous work, too.

Brewski:
Though I am not familiar with many Lamentations settings, the Krenek is an austere, fantastic piece. I've been lucky to hear it live - which may never happen again, since it's extremely difficult to perform.

Will be interested in comments on works by other composers.

--Bruce

San Antone:
There are many from the 16th century, Victoria, Gesualdo, and possibly most famous of all, Thomas Tallis. 

Any preferred recordings?  The Tallis Scholars I think have done all three; their recording of the Tallis work is generally thought highly of.

JCBuckley:
I strongly recommend this:

Drasko:
Lecons de tenebres, Holly Week settings of Lamentationes of Jeremiah, were very popular in French baroque. Most often they were intimate chamber settings for few voices and basso continuo (but still with very virtuosic vocal writing) and best known (rightly) are by Delalande, Francois Couperin and Charpentier. There is one other I'd like to mention, bit different stylistically set for larger forces (but still intimate sounding), with simpler less florid vocal writing by Jean Gilles. Perhaps showing differences in taste and influences between province (Gilles) and capital (others). There was a lovely recording of Gilles by Herve Niquet/Le Concert Spirituel on Accord, not sure if it's still in print.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version