Goffredo Petrassi(1904-2003)

Started by Dundonnell, March 03, 2009, 06:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

If you like 'Carmina Burana' check out Petrassi's 'Pslam IX'. As a matter of fact, 'Noche Oscura' and 'Coro di Morti'- all three- are really superb Works. Anyone? The latter two are more moody, the first a barn burner.

Karl Henning

I went to a Poetry Pslam one Friday night . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

The new erato

Quote from: snyprrr on March 21, 2014, 11:28:43 AM
If you like 'Carmina Burana' check out Petrassi's 'Pslam IX'. As a matter of fact, 'Noche Oscura' and 'Coro di Morti'- all three- are really superb Works. Anyone? The latter two are more moody, the first a barn burner.
I agree. The Chandos disc is absolutely magnificent:

[asin]B00A8QBF5A[/asin]

I tend to lap up every Chandos disc of 20th century repertoire.

snyprrr

Does anyone have the Strad disc with 'Frammenti' and 'Poema' and the Flute Concerto? And?...

not edward

Quote from: snyprrr on March 25, 2014, 08:25:14 AM
Does anyone have the Strad disc with 'Frammenti' and 'Poema' and the Flute Concerto? And?...
I do. Need to revisit this one.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

snyprrr

Quote from: edward on March 25, 2014, 05:42:08 PM
I do. Need to revisit this one.

It just seems that in lieu of the Tamayo Concerti, this is the best Petrassi disc for me. It would complement that other Strad disc ('Sonata da Camera', 'Beatitudes'- do you have that one too?- last two pieces very experimental for Petrassi- like the Flute Concerto). I mean, it's got five pieces- the 'Poema' is for trombone and strings? That sounds interesting! Also, the 'Frammenti' had that nice experimental sound.

Petrassi has a lot of guitar in his ensemble pieces, with mandolin also, always adding that noctural sound to the proceedings. Lots of Petrassi has that "pale moonlight" Pierrot kind of feel, no?

snyprrr

3 YEARS??

I search in vain for the Tamayo 8 Concerti :'(

I'm giving Petrassi the Ghedini bump

snyprrr

Quote from: snyprrr on September 01, 2017, 08:11:05 AM
3 YEARS??

I search in vain for the Tamayo 8 Concerti :'(

I'm giving Petrassi the Ghedini bump

8 Concerti for Orchestra (1938-1972)

These are all a little gnarly in my book, from the boisterous Neo-Classicism of the 1st, through to the fragmented and "experimental" No.8. I have been wanting to get to know these for decades but I am only now perusing them.

There are two main recordings, the Pesko, and the astronomically priced OOP Tamayo. I have been hearing Pesko on YT. My first overall reaction to the lot is that I am glad I haven't paid $80-$300 for the Tamayo, as I'm finding Petrassi's mode here to be a bit gruff for my general purpose tastes. I enjoy other Petrassi much better, but, yes, he IS... mm... trenchant in his serious gruffness a lot of the time... maybe gruff is not the best word...

No.1 (1938) is the only one that makes it onto '20th Century Italian Classics' type compilations, and sounds like... gruff Stravinsky? and Hindemith? It just wasn't what I was looking for.

No.2, if I remember, was more plaintive, with perhaps the searing melodies of a Hartmann? Again, I've heard this before and wasn't looking for more WW2 torn lyricism.

No.3 ('Recreacion concertante') is the most like a CfO so far, yet, Petrassi is still to much for me, even though I enjoy hearing the craft.

No.4 for strings- skipped for now

No.5 (1955) was the longest by far, at almost 30mins., and really strained my patience. Petrassi had yet to make the Stravinsky-like conversion to the AvantGarde, so, here, in the '50s, he's just tearing down what's left of post war traditionalism. Petrassi does like "noisy", and that might be one factor in my general all around opinion.

No.6 (1955?) I don't remember, but I think I was starting to hear the changes that I like.

No.7 (1964) WAS MY FAVOURITE. Here we have AvantGarde Petrassi making "sounds" in his personal manner. This one I'd like to hear again right away. Most traditionalists in the Reviews don't like these latter works.

No.8 (1972) was then a let down for me. It's very long and windy and fragmented, but not as experimental as No.7.

whoops... late

Parsifal

Quote from: snyprrr on September 19, 2017, 09:41:25 AM
8 Concerti for Orchestra (1938-1972)

These are all a little gnarly in my book, from the boisterous Neo-Classicism of the 1st, through to the fragmented and "experimental" No.8. I have been wanting to get to know these for decades but I am only now perusing them.

There are two main recordings, the Pesko, and the astronomically priced OOP Tamayo. I have been hearing Pesko on YT. My first overall reaction to the lot is that I am glad I haven't paid $80-$300 for the Tamayo, as I'm finding Petrassi's mode here to be a bit gruff for my general purpose tastes. I enjoy other Petrassi much better, but, yes, he IS... mm... trenchant in his serious gruffness a lot of the time... maybe gruff is not the best word...

No.1 (1938) is the only one that makes it onto '20th Century Italian Classics' type compilations, and sounds like... gruff Stravinsky? and Hindemith? It just wasn't what I was looking for.

No.2, if I remember, was more plaintive, with perhaps the searing melodies of a Hartmann? Again, I've heard this before and wasn't looking for more WW2 torn lyricism.

No.3 ('Recreacion concertante') is the most like a CfO so far, yet, Petrassi is still to much for me, even though I enjoy hearing the craft.

No.4 for strings- skipped for now

No.5 (1955) was the longest by far, at almost 30mins., and really strained my patience. Petrassi had yet to make the Stravinsky-like conversion to the AvantGarde, so, here, in the '50s, he's just tearing down what's left of post war traditionalism. Petrassi does like "noisy", and that might be one factor in my general all around opinion.

No.6 (1955?) I don't remember, but I think I was starting to hear the changes that I like.

No.7 (1964) WAS MY FAVOURITE. Here we have AvantGarde Petrassi making "sounds" in his personal manner. This one I'd like to hear again right away. Most traditionalists in the Reviews don't like these latter works.

No.8 (1972) was then a let down for me. It's very long and windy and fragmented, but not as experimental as No.7.

whoops... late

Don't overlook this

[asin]B00BDSRK38[/asin]

Previtali was a friend of Petrassi and probably has unique insight into the music. It also has a very nice Pines of Rome

Note added:

I see this is the second time I have mentioned this release on the thread. I also have the Tamayo, but have no idea where I put it. :(

SymphonicAddict

Discovering new works, I came across Petrassi and his Partita per orchestra. Delightful neoclassical music, with a strong taste to Hindemith whose music I've also enjoyed these weeks.

kyjo

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on September 29, 2018, 09:16:57 PM
Discovering new works, I came across Petrassi and his Partita per orchestra. Delightful neoclassical music, with a strong taste to Hindemith whose music I've also enjoyed these weeks.

I really enjoy the early Divertimento on that recording as well, with its echoes of Hindemith and Ravel (in the touching slow movement). One of the many fine recordings Naxos has issued of lesser-known Italian music.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

relm1

Quote from: The new erato on March 22, 2014, 12:27:27 AM
I agree. The Chandos disc is absolutely magnificent:

[asin]B00A8QBF5A[/asin]

I tend to lap up every Chandos disc of 20th century repertoire.

Wow, this was excellent!  Thanks for recommending it.  I had never heard this composer before.