What is it?

Started by Karl Henning, April 01, 2015, 04:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jochanaan

Quote from: Florestan on April 08, 2015, 08:22:43 AM
Some examples of that, please.  :)
(at the risk of causing intense gastronomic distress to veteran contributors here) "Plop, plop, fizz, fizz..." :P >:D
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Florestan

Never heard about that. What is it?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on April 08, 2015, 12:06:57 PM

It doesn't matter  8)

A jingle for a stomach discomfort remedy.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

AdamFromWashington

Quote from: Florestan on April 08, 2015, 12:06:57 PM

A relief, of course.  :P

jochanaan

Mandryka

The Nichomachean Ethics matters because it contains some ideas which make you think about how you act and what you are. That's a paradigm of mattering.  Some music is like that, because it encodes references and reflections on profound texts. J S Bach's chorale preludes are an example, because of their relation to Luther's commentaries and the church chorales they're based on.  And maybe so is History of Photography in Sound.

Another way things can matter is that they offer consolation and distraction.  I suppose that's why some drugs matter - pain killers etc. And some music has the capacity to cheer you up, distract you from troubles. I'm thinking of things like Dandrieu suites, Haydn trios, a lot of Dvorak.

A third way something can matter is that it offers people an answer to the question "what is the meaning of life?", and so helps them go on from one day to the next. Some religion is like this, with stories of paradise, grace etc. And I think some music suggests a comforting and ineffable world - so people can aspire to knowing that world better, being in it more securely. I'm thinking of things like big romantic adagios like in Mahler symphonies.

A fourth way is that music can be a model, a picture, of our mind. And so hearing it is like having a mirror held up to ourselves. And that can be both shocking and comforting, because it lets us know that we are not alone, our nature is shared. I'm thinking of the way the emotional states change so realistically in a piece like Schumann's first piano sonata, or Schoenberg's late string trio, or indeed some Chopin nocturnes and Mahler 9/i. Furtwangler was good at bringing out this aspect of Brahms and Beethoven.

There is a fifth way, and it has to do with love and the unknowability of pieces like op 131. But I need more time to think about it.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

EigenUser

Quote from: Mandryka on April 10, 2015, 10:30:55 PM
The Nichomachean Ethics matters because it contains some ideas which make you think about how you act and what you are. That's a paradigm of mattering.  Some music is like that, because it encodes references and reflections on profound texts. J S Bach's chorale preludes are an example, because of their relation to Luther's commentaries and the church chorales they're based on.  And maybe so is History of Photography in Sound.

Another way things can matter is that they offer consolation and distraction.  I suppose that's why some drugs matter - pain killers etc. And some music has the capacity to cheer you up, distract you from troubles. I'm thinking of things like Dandrieu suites, Haydn trios, a lot of Dvorak.

A third way something can matter is that it offers people an answer to the question "what is the meaning of life?", and so helps them go on from one day to the next. Some religion is like this, with stories of paradise, grace etc. And I think some music suggests a comforting and ineffable world - so people can aspire to knowing that world better, being in it more securely. I'm thinking of things like big romantic adagios like in Mahler symphonies.

A fourth way is that music can be a model, a picture, of our mind. And so hearing it is like having a mirror held up to ourselves. And that can be both shocking and comforting, because it lets us know that we are not alone, our nature is shared. I'm thinking of the way the emotional states change so realistically in a piece like Schumann's first piano sonata, or Schoenberg's late string trio, or indeed some Chopin nocturnes and Mahler 9/i. Furtwangler was good at bringing out this aspect of Brahms and Beethoven.

There is a fifth way, and it has to do with love and the unknowability of pieces like op 131. But I need more time to think about it.
Very interesting post, though I bet that we GMG'ers could come up with way more than five (not that I have any suggestions, myself).
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Mirror Image

Is it or Izzy? :)

For those that don't remember, the 1996 Summer Olympics were held in Atlanta, GA and their mascot was a weird looking creature named Izzy. I still have a good bit of memorabilia from these games.

Linus

Quote from: jochanaan on April 08, 2015, 08:20:15 AM
But the moment we begin to try to say "This art matters, this doesn't," we begin to insult, discriminate against or otherwise deny the value of something someone holds very dear, at least potentially.  So to say that any art does not matter is. as many have said, false on its face.

But, but ... Can we speak of things that matter if we don't first assume that some things don't?

North Star

Quote from: Linus on April 13, 2015, 07:00:39 AM
But, but ... Can we speak of things that matter if we don't first assume that some things don't?
A person can stay silent about art that doesn't matter to them.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

jochanaan

Quote from: North Star on April 13, 2015, 07:03:46 AM
Well writ! ;D

Karl Henning

Sometimes, silence is the best wisdom.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

jochanaan

Linus

Quote from: North Star on April 13, 2015, 07:03:46 AM

Certainly, and in most social contexts we probably should, but I also think it's quite possible to stay civil and friendly even when discussing this aspect of the philosophy of music, i.e. we don't have to make it into something concerning person against person or taste against taste. But if we are to discuss music, we will probably have to deal with likes and don't likes in general sooner or later, that's all. :)

Anyway, I personally believe music matters the most (or is the least "boring"?) when it confirms feelings we have about the world (so, somewhere between Mandryka's 3rd and 4th example of the way things can matter). If e.g. my feelings about death are well mirrored in a symphony, then that symphony matters to me. If it mirrors none of my feelings about the great mysteries of life, then I would say the symphony matters little to me.

North Star

Quote from: Linus on April 13, 2015, 07:00:39 AM
Quote from: Linus on April 13, 2015, 09:13:29 AM
Certainly, and in most social contexts we probably should, but I also think it's quite possible to stay civil and friendly even when discussing this aspect of the philosophy of music, i.e. we don't have to make it into something concerning person against person or taste against taste. But if we are to discuss music, we will probably have to deal with likes and don't likes in general sooner or later, that's all. :)

Anyway, I personally believe music matters the most (or is the least "boring"?) when it confirms feelings we have about the world (so, somewhere between Mandryka's 3rd and 4th example of the way things can matter). If e.g. my feelings about death are well mirrored in a symphony, then that symphony matters to me. If it mirrors none of my feelings about the great mysteries of life, then I would say the symphony matters little to me.
My point was that whether art matters cannot be answered without considering who they are that it matters to. Any art, if it can be called such, matters at the very least to its creator. Saying that 'some art matters and some doesn't' is gross oversimplification. Some works of art are more important and influential than others, just as a flesh wound might not get you to the emergency room, but should be treated appropriately, or you might get e.g. blood poisoning. The doctors will start treating the more acute disease first without pondering whether that flesh wound matters at all.

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

And then, there are questions of how much "importance" and "influence" matters  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on April 13, 2015, 10:01:22 AM
And then, there are questions of how much "importance" and "influence" matters  8)
They matter a lot, in medicine.  8)

My photographs on Flickr

San Antone

A couple of quotes from John Cage which I think might be relevant to this discussion, especially if you substitute "(doesn't) matter(s)" for "to be beautiful" or "is boring".

"The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I feel it's not beautiful? And very shortly you discover there is no reason."
― John Cage

"If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight. Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all."
― John Cage

Linus

Quote from: North Star on April 13, 2015, 09:55:35 AM
My point was that whether art matters cannot be answered without considering who they are that it matters to.

And I totally agree with you on that. But once we know to whom a piece of music matters, that person should--according to your previous post--be silent about the stuff he does not like. And in my opinion, that muddles the discussion. Rather, if we are allowed to discuss things we don't like, it may clarify why we like the things we do like (which, I assume, was the aim of this thread from the start).