Castelnuovo-Tedesco's Castle

Started by vandermolen, April 10, 2015, 01:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 26, 2020, 01:32:15 PM
Both concertos were a revelation the first time I listened to this amazing CD. Don't know the Perlman CD of the VC 2, but this Naxos one fulfilled my expectations. One of the best CDs I know devoted to Castelnuovo-Tedesco.
My favourite Cesar, been playing it continuously. The VC No.1, of which I think this may be the only recording ,is very enjoyable as well. At the start I thought that it was going to be quite light-weight but I was wrong.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

Earlier I was playing this disc. This is one out of countless cases where discovering new works is a thoroughly gratifying experience, at least for me. Two superb and memorable piano quintets that show the immense artistry of this composer. I was particularly impressed by the intensity and memorability of the No. 1.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 07, 2020, 12:49:06 PM

Earlier I was playing this disc. This is one out of countless cases where discovering new works is a thoroughly gratifying experience, at least for me. Two superb and memorable piano quintets that show the immense artistry of this composer. I was particularly impressed by the intensity and memorability of the No. 1.
Oh gosh! More temptation  ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

The guitar concertos of course, the First (1939) contemporary with the Rodrigo ('Aranjuez") and perhaps finest of them all: Ponce's ('del Sur').
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Daverz

Quote from: Christo on June 10, 2020, 01:47:27 AM
The guitar concertos of course, the First (1939) contemporary with the Rodrigo ('Aranjuez") and perhaps finest of them all: Ponce's ('del Sur').

A good disc for your C-T dollars.  I think No. 2 is not as recorded because it is not as much a showpiece as No. 1.  But it is a very appealing concerto.

There have been several recordings of the Cello Concerto just recently, including by Raphael Wallfisch:

[asin]B075DT4QWF[/asin]

Initial impression was positive, though I'll need another listen to say anything useful.

kyjo

Quote from: Christo on June 10, 2020, 01:47:27 AM

A couple days ago I was listening to the Guitar Concerto no. 2 from this album and enjoyed it very much. In fact, I have more positive memories of it than of the much more popular 1st concerto, though I'll have to revisit that one. This is sunny, melodic, inventive music that has C-T's unmistakable compositional stamp on it.

I was also very impressed by his all-too-brief, two-movement Cello Sonata recently. The opening melody is simply one of the most beautiful things I've heard in a while. It will haunt you for days! This Naxos recording is superb:

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

That Naxos disc is great indeed. I would add this one too:

Almost all of what I've heard from this composer has delighted me a lot.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

He's a composer whom I've increasingly learned to appreciate

aligreto

Castelnuovo-Tedesco: Platero And I, Second Series [Segovia]

Very pleasant and engaging music along with very fluid and masterly playing lends for a very pleasurable listening experience. This is one of those cases where one is simply prepared to sit back and let the music wash over you.

I must admit that I have never explored this composer beyond his guitar music as that is what has impacted on me in the past, in particular, the Guitar Concerto.

Scion7

When quite dexterous playing is totally unheard due to a cover atrocity.
What were they thinking, sending a pic to mum??
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

aligreto

Quote from: Scion7 on September 23, 2020, 08:03:26 AM

When quite dexterous playing is totally unheard due to a cover atrocity.
What were they thinking, sending a pic to mum??

How very unforgiving  :laugh:

Scion7

Piano quintets.

Opus 69's (1932) first two movements are not interesting, but things quite nicely shift gear with the Scherzo.  Last movement ends with flair.

Opus 155 (1951) is a fine piece, perhaps benefitting from 20 years of experience.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on September 22, 2020, 06:40:52 PM
A couple days ago I was listening to the Guitar Concerto no. 2 from this album and enjoyed it very much. In fact, I have more positive memories of it than of the much more popular 1st concerto, though I'll have to revisit that one. This is sunny, melodic, inventive music that has C-T's unmistakable compositional stamp on it.

I was also very impressed by his all-too-brief, two-movement Cello Sonata recently. The opening melody is simply one of the most beautiful things I've heard in a while. It will haunt you for days! This Naxos recording is superb:

Here's a nice little trailer for the Cello Sonata disc:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDgIommxPKY

Scion7

Castelnuovo-Tedesco : unrecorded chamber music

String Quartet no.1, op.58, 1929
String Quartet no.2, op.139
String Quartet no.3, op.203, 1964 'casa al dono'

Sonata for Violin & Viola, op.127,  1945
Sonata for Viola & Cello, op.144  1950

Pastorale and Rondo for Clarinet, Violin, Cello, & Piano, op.185,  1958

Quartettsatz, op.170  1960

. . . it is a great sadness.  >:( :(

Scion7

Dynamic has this set of the Piano Trios.  Probably harder to find, as it is 20 years old, as far as a CD is concerned.

https://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=CDS136

I have a number of Dynamic releases - I've always found them top quality.

Symphonic Addict

Some of their recordings are often made with dry acoustics and the sound quality is not the best. That is the case with that CD IIRC.

Noam Chomsky

Scion7

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on September 23, 2020, 10:22:23 AM
Here's a nice little trailer for the Cello Sonata disc:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDgIommxPKY

Thanks for sharing, Jeffrey. Enrico Dindo is a fantastic cellist who I haven't paid much attention to until recently.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on September 23, 2020, 08:02:57 PM
Thanks for sharing, Jeffrey. Enrico Dindo is a fantastic cellist who I haven't paid much attention to until recently.

I've now purchased the CD having enjoyed the trailer samples Kyle.
I especially liked the sound of the 'Chant Hébraïque'.

Scion7

Symphonic Variations for Violin and Orchestra, Op.48 (1928)

Doesn't seem to have been recorded ... couldn't find a radio broadcast, either.
Anyone have information on this piece?  I was unable to track down a score.