Castelnuovo-Tedesco's Castle

Started by vandermolen, April 10, 2015, 01:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

No thread yet on this interesting Italian composer (1895-1968). He spent much of his later life in the USA having fled from Mussolini's Fascist Italy, once it became influenced by Hitler's anti-semitic decrees (Castelnuovo-Tedesco was Jewish). The new Naxos CD below is wonderful and I have just played it right through with much pleasure. The Violin Concerto 2, 'The Prophets' has been recorded several times before. It is rather in the spirit of Bloch with its biblical inspiration and possesses considerable depth. It has a certain cinematic character and the composer wrote much film music during his time in the USA. The earlier 'Concerto Italiano' has never been recorded before but is just as good. At first I thought that it might be quite a 'light' work but I was wrong and like the 'Prophets' concerto it possesses considerable depth. Basically these are two very enjoyable works if you fancy something different:
[asin]B00QSMV30A[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Albion

So far I just have the two Naxos discs of the wonderful Shakespeare overtures, but definitely intend to explore the piano and violin concertos...

:)

A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

vandermolen

Quote from: Albion on April 10, 2015, 02:04:32 PM
So far I just have the two Naxos discs of the wonderful Shakespeare overtures, but definitely intend to explore the piano and violin concertos...

Thank you! Let us know what you think. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the violin concertos.  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Rons_talking

His Guitar Concerto is one of the finest in the idiom. I'll have to give him a listen. I nearly wore out the concerto disc (it's often coupled with the Rodrigo, John Williams soloist). His other music is unfamiliar to me, but I'll check out the Violin Concerto.

vandermolen

Quote from: Rons_talking on April 10, 2015, 03:39:38 PM
His Guitar Concerto is one of the finest in the idiom. I'll have to give him a listen. I nearly wore out the concerto disc (it's often coupled with the Rodrigo, John Williams soloist). His other music is unfamiliar to me, but I'll check out the Violin Concerto.
Yes, he is known for his guitar music. Let us know what you think when you hear the VC.

aligreto

Likewise, I only know this composer through his wonderful guitar concerto. I should also investigate his VC.

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on April 11, 2015, 03:09:04 AM
Likewise, I only know this composer through his wonderful guitar concerto. I should also investigate his VC.
I suspect that you would enjoy it too.

vandermolen

Another one of my triumphant thread inspirations! (Only about five years since the previous post) ;D
I think that I need to discover more of Castelnuovo-Tedesco's music this year.
Any recommendations?
Is there a particular recording of the VC No.2 'The Prophets' which you would recommend?
One at a time please.  8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: vandermolen on February 23, 2020, 01:45:43 PM
Another one of my triumphant thread inspirations! (Only about five years since the previous post) ;D
Any recommendations?
Is there a particular recording of the VC No.2 'The Prophets' which you would recommend?

I have always wanted his VC's, but while I shopped them intensively about 15 years ago, the only recording I could find was by (IIRC) Heifetz, and I was totally unable to find a copy of it. He had faded from my radar screen since then, but I would still like to get a disk with the concertos on it, maybe there is one now?

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Roy Bland

Quote from: vandermolen on February 23, 2020, 01:45:43 PM
Any recommendations?
Beyond Concerto ,i would suggest these works of superb craftmanship (IMHO reminds Rota)

vandermolen

Quote from: Roy Bland on February 23, 2020, 03:26:23 PM
Beyond Concerto ,i would suggest these works of superb craftmanship (IMHO reminds Rota)

A reply! My goodness. Thank you. I'll definitely look out for that disc.

Daverz

The Shakespeare overtures are great, the sort of music where his style shines. 

Of course, I also love the Guitar Concerto No. 1, particularly the John Williams/Ormandy recording, which you can get as a download now (outside of a giant John Williams box).

Perlman also recorded the Violin Concerto No. 2.  It's coupled with his recording of the Ben-Haim concerto.

https://www.amazon.com/Castelnuovo-Tedesco-Violin-Concerto-No-Ben-Haim/dp/B00000DNPL

(Also in Warner's enormous Perlman box, of course.)

The bios all say he was a successful film composer, but can anyone name one of his film scores?  His guitar music is widely played, and I think that is his legacy.

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on February 23, 2020, 11:31:01 PM
The Shakespeare overtures are great, the sort of music where his style shines. 

Of course, I also love the Guitar Concerto No. 1, particularly the John Williams/Ormandy recording, which you can get as a download now (outside of a giant John Williams box).

Perlman also recorded the Violin Concerto No. 2.  It's coupled with his recording of the Ben-Haim concerto.

https://www.amazon.com/Castelnuovo-Tedesco-Violin-Concerto-No-Ben-Haim/dp/B00000DNPL

(Also in Warner's enormous Perlman box, of course.)

The bios all say he was a successful film composer, but can anyone name one of his film scores?  His guitar music is widely played, and I think that is his legacy.
Thanks Daverz. I have the VC in that recording with the fine Ben-Haim concerto. I will order the Shakespeare overtures.

JBS

Wikipedia gives this list of film scores

QuoteCredited contributions (full list of the 11 scores that were credited to the composer):

1. The Return of the Vampire (Lew Landers, 1943)
2. The Black Parachute (Lew Landers, 1944)
3. She's a Soldier Too (William Castle, 1944)
4. And Then There Were None (René Clair, 1945)
5. Time Out of Mind (Robert Siodmak, 1947)
6. The Loves of Carmen (Charles Vidor, 1948)
7. Rogues of Sherwood Forest (Gordon Douglas, 1950)
8. The Brave Bulls (Robert Rossen, 1951)
9. Mask of the Avenger (Phil Karlson, 1951)
10. The Brigand (Phil Karlson, 1952)
11. The Long Wait (Victor Saville, 1954)

The link also gives a long list of films to which he made "uncredited contributions"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_compositions_by_Mario_Castelnuovo-Tedesco#Film_music[34]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

Quote from: JBS on February 24, 2020, 08:27:12 AM

The link also gives a long list of films to which he made "uncredited contributions"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_compositions_by_Mario_Castelnuovo-Tedesco#Film_music[34]
Excellent!
Thanks Jeffrey

Daverz

Quote from: JBS on February 24, 2020, 08:27:12 AM

Yes, but did he write any scores that have the traction of those by Korngold, Waxman, Rosza, Herrmann, Tiomkin, Steiner, etc?

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on February 24, 2020, 01:21:18 PM
Yes, but did he write any scores that have the traction of those by Korngold, Waxman, Rosza, Herrmann, Tiomkin, Steiner, etc?
I don't know any of the films but I doubt it although I'd love to hear some of them.

Daverz

Quote from: vandermolen on February 24, 2020, 01:27:55 PM
I don't know any of the films but I doubt it although I'd love to hear some of them.

I only recall And Then There Were None (but not the music; I don't recall it as a music heavy film).

vandermolen

Quote from: vandermolen on April 10, 2015, 01:50:45 PM
No thread yet on this interesting Italian composer (1895-1968). He spent much of his later life in the USA having fled from Mussolini's Fascist Italy, once it became influenced by Hitler's anti-semitic decrees (Castelnuovo-Tedesco was Jewish). The new Naxos CD below is wonderful and I have just played it right through with much pleasure. The Violin Concerto 2, 'The Prophets' has been recorded several times before. It is rather in the spirit of Bloch with its biblical inspiration and possesses considerable depth. It has a certain cinematic character and the composer wrote much film music during his time in the USA. The earlier 'Concerto Italiano' has never been recorded before but is just as good. At first I thought that it might be quite a 'light' work but I was wrong and like the 'Prophets' concerto it possesses considerable depth. Basically these are two very enjoyable works if you fancy something different:
[asin]B00QSMV30A[/asin]
Just been replaying this disc with which I opened this thread and with just as much pleasure. I prefer this recording of the VC 2 'The Prophets' than the Perlman/Mehta version, good as that is. In this version I find that the violin is more integrated with the orchestra and the playing is less 'sugary' as well.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on February 26, 2020, 07:22:50 AM
Just been replaying this disc with which I opened this thread and with just as much pleasure. I prefer this recording of the VC 2 'The Prophets' than the Perlman/Mehta version, good as that is. In this version I find that the violin is more integrated with the orchestra and the playing is less 'sugary' as well.

Both concertos were a revelation the first time I listened to this amazing CD. Don't know the Perlman CD of the VC 2, but this Naxos one fulfilled my expectations. One of the best CDs I know devoted to Castelnuovo-Tedesco.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky