Castelnuovo-Tedesco's Castle

Started by vandermolen, April 10, 2015, 01:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franco_Manitobain

The Concertino for Harp and Chamber Orchestra, Op. 93, here performed by Catherine Michel (harp), Orchestre Philharmonique de Monte Carlo, conducted by Antonio de Almeida is quite lovely!

Franco_Manitobain

Quote from: aligreto on September 23, 2020, 07:16:34 AMCastelnuovo-Tedesco: Platero And I, Second Series [Segovia]

Very pleasant and engaging music along with very fluid and masterly playing lends for a very pleasurable listening experience. This is one of those cases where one is simply prepared to sit back and let the music wash over you.

I must admit that I have never explored this composer beyond his guitar music as that is what has impacted on me in the past, in particular, the Guitar Concerto.

@aligreto Fergus, where the heck are you?  We really miss you around these parts!

Interesting you bring this up, the work Platero y yo, Op. 190 (Platero and I)

It is based on 28 poems of the above named by Spanish poet Juan Ramon Jimenez

The traditional performance is set to guitar and narration, but I see there are some recordings of just the guitar (if those who don't want the accompanying narration like me)  ;D

Here is an example of a complete recording of all 28 poems (sans narration), performed by Catherine Liolios

@Brian
@Bachtoven
@Dry Brett Kavanaugh
@San Antone
@Que
@JBS

I haven't listened to it yet (the complete Platero), but it peaked my interest via this absolutely terrific 1967 documentary by Christoper Nupen on Andres Segovia, which is a must watch in my opinion.  This is the second time I watch it!!  Hat tip again to @Papy Oli for bringing this video to our attention in the guitar recordings' thread.  :)

In The House of Andres Segovia

JBS

Perhaps my imagination is at work, but I think I read Platero and I as a kid--perhaps an adaptation?

Wikipedia reveals this composer wrote an 8 piece suite based on the book
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eduardo_Sainz_de_la_Maza

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Symphonic Addict

This is the sort of releases I'm waiting for (to be released on June 14th):

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 17, 2024, 04:20:00 PMThis is the sort of releases I'm waiting for (to be released on June 14th):

Great news, Cesar! I was recently listening to his Cello Concerto in this fine recording:

Its weakness is that the first movement is a bit too repetitive - the main rhythmic motive is milked for all its worth. I have no qualms with the remaining two movements, which are in MC-T's best "elegantly heroic/chivalrous" style (for lack of a better description). Overall, I think his VCs 1 and 2 are stronger works, but the Cello Concerto has many attractions. The above disc is filled out with several effective (and very virtuosic) transcriptions MC-T made for cello and piano of works by arias by Mozart and Rossini, as well as two movements from Ravel's Miroirs. All in all, though, my favorite work of his for the instrument is his two-movement Cello Sonata (Op. 50), which boasts one of the most beautiful, heartfelt opening melodies of any work that I know: https://youtu.be/wOJxLE5wh9U?si=I_4LDhk58782WkFj
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on April 26, 2024, 11:50:38 AMAll in all, though, my favorite work of his for the instrument is his two-movement Cello Sonata (Op. 50), which boasts one of the most beautiful, heartfelt opening melodies of any work that I know: https://youtu.be/wOJxLE5wh9U?si=I_4LDhk58782WkFj

Count me as a fan of his chamber music, not only of that sonata, but also of his two Piano Quintets, String Trio, Sonata for violin and cello and Sonata quasi una fantasia for violin and piano. In some of those pieces he incorporates Jewish melodies. On the other hand, I haven't warmed to the two Piano Trios yet, the recordings of them don't sound convincing methinks.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Daverz

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 26, 2024, 04:37:16 PMCount me as a fan of his chamber music, not only of that sonata, but also of his two Piano Quintets, String Trio, Sonata for violin and cello and Sonata quasi una fantasia for violin and piano. In some of those pieces he incorporates Jewish melodies. On the other hand, I haven't warmed to the two Piano Trios yet, the recordings of them don't sound convincing methinks.

There's also a Guitar Quintet:

Lisztianwagner

I've recently listened for the first time to some Castelnuovo-Tedesco's music (without counting his part in the Genesis Suite), the piano pieces Il raggio verde, Alghe, I Naviganti, Cipressi and Ricercare sul nome di Luigi Dallapiccola; absolutely exquisite, evocative compositions! The first four were very colourful and fluent, elegantly limpid and beautifully floating in the developing of the melodic lines, and they seemed to show the influence of the French Impressionism. Instead the fifth, despite equally graceful and lyrical, was in some way more angular and had certainly more tension and harmonic contrasts, definitely echoing the style of Dallapiccola; an interesting aspect was that it also seemed to show some brief series of notes, similarly to the tone row of dodecaphony.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Daverz on April 27, 2024, 04:43:47 AMThere's also a Guitar Quintet:

I have no recollections of that piece at the moment. I'll have to give a listen to find out.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on April 27, 2024, 01:44:56 PMI've recently listened for the first time to some Castelnuovo-Tedesco's music (without counting his part in the Genesis Suite), the piano pieces Il raggio verde, Alghe, I Naviganti, Cipressi and Ricercare sul nome di Luigi Dallapiccola; absolutely exquisite, evocative compositions! The first four were very colourful and fluent, elegantly limpid and beautifully floating in the developing of the melodic lines, and they seemed to show the influence of the French Impressionism. Instead the fifth, despite equally graceful and lyrical, was in some way more angular and had certainly more tension and harmonic contrasts, definitely echoing the style of Dallapiccola; an interesting aspect was that it also seemed to show some brief series of notes, similarly to the tone row of dodecaphony.

Interesting, Ilaria. His piano works are still unknown to me. I think he is an underrated composer (that epithet again!), and also very prolific, who wrote in practically all forms but symphony (something I regret).

Noam Chomsky

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 28, 2024, 10:13:00 AMInteresting, Ilaria. His piano works are still unknown to me. I think he is an underrated composer (that epithet again!), and also very prolific, who wrote in practically all forms but symphony (something I regret).
He seems so, what a pity; today I've listened to his Piano Sonata, quite sharp and hectic, but extremely enchanting. His piano works are certainly worth exploring, I hope you'll find some time to check them out sooner or later, Cesar.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on April 28, 2024, 01:57:40 PMHe seems so, what a pity; today I've listened to his Piano Sonata, quite sharp and hectic, but extremely enchanting. His piano works are certainly worth exploring, I hope you'll find some time to check them out sooner or later, Cesar.

Checking info on the internet, I see that a considerable bunch of his piano works were performed nothing more, nothing less than by Aldo Ciccolini, including the Piano Sonata you listened to.

Following your recommendation of listening to some piano music by him, I just heard Le danze del Re David from this recording:

They are 7 short dances, some imbued with rhythmic vitality and others with more lyricism. Ieratico and Allegro guerriero contain some magical writing and good melodies (they possibly were my favorites), and I must say that piece as a whole gave me a positive impression, it's really music with purpose and spark. Thanks for the heads up, Ilaria!

Noam Chomsky

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on April 27, 2024, 01:44:56 PMI've recently listened for the first time to some Castelnuovo-Tedesco's music (without counting his part in the Genesis Suite), the piano pieces Il raggio verde, Alghe, I Naviganti, Cipressi and Ricercare sul nome di Luigi Dallapiccola; absolutely exquisite, evocative compositions! The first four were very colourful and fluent, elegantly limpid and beautifully floating in the developing of the melodic lines, and they seemed to show the influence of the French Impressionism. Instead the fifth, despite equally graceful and lyrical, was in some way more angular and had certainly more tension and harmonic contrasts, definitely echoing the style of Dallapiccola; an interesting aspect was that it also seemed to show some brief series of notes, similarly to the tone row of dodecaphony.
Sounds interesting!  Whose recordings did you listen to LW?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 29, 2024, 06:43:13 AMSounds interesting!  Whose recordings did you listen to LW?

PD
I listened to those pieces on youtube, but it should be this recording, the pianist is Mariaclara Monetti:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on April 29, 2024, 09:01:06 AMI listened to those pieces on youtube, but it should be this recording, the pianist is Mariaclara Monetti:

Thanks!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on April 29, 2024, 09:01:06 AMI listened to those pieces on youtube, but it should be this recording, the pianist is Mariaclara Monetti:

I don't think that I can get a hold of a copy to listen to near me, so I'll try listening to them via youtube.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 29, 2024, 05:30:23 PMI don't think that I can get a hold of a copy to listen to near me, so I'll try listening to them via youtube.

PD
Try this one, PD, these are the recordings I listened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NrPQI7mHz4&list=PL5716CB49B49FD856

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on Today at 04:51:00 AMTry this one, PD, these are the recordings I listened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NrPQI7mHz4&list=PL5716CB49B49FD856
Thank you for that link.  I listened to the first one.  And, yes, like you, I thought immediately of impressionism.  Will listen to the other ones later (still working on my morning coffee here.  French roast mixed with the remains of milder Ethiopian beans left in the grinder--hasn't quite kicked in yet.).  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Roy Bland