Castelnuovo-Tedesco's Castle

Started by vandermolen, April 10, 2015, 01:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on May 01, 2024, 01:57:19 PMIt's been a long time since Naxos released anything interesting.

I remember about 10 years ago they suddenly hiked the price of downloads from $6 (Australian) to $12, saying they were providing 'better customer experience'. I wrote and asked them exactly how doubling their prices was providing a better customer experience, but they didn't reply.

Funnily enough though since that time they have barely issued anything I want to try anyway.

Fortunately all of the Naxos releases devoted to Castelnuovo-Tedesco have been noteworthy, something I'm grateful for.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Speaking of him and Naxos, recently I gave the recording of the 2nd Violin Concerto 'I Propheti' a listen. That work is the bee's knees in terms of cinematic sumptuousness and colourful luxury, absolutely tremendous. Love it. I echo Kyle's words about the chivalrious element that is perceived in some of his works, I felt that feature in that concerto. The 1st Violin Concerto is not half bad either. The two Piano Concertos, on the other hand, are not as powerful and vivid, but they are pretty good, nevertheless.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Bachtoven

Quote from: Rons_talking on April 10, 2015, 03:39:38 PMHis Guitar Concerto is one of the finest in the idiom. I'll have to give him a listen. I nearly wore out the concerto disc (it's often coupled with the Rodrigo, John Williams soloist). His other music is unfamiliar to me, but I'll check out the Violin Concerto.
He wrote two. This recording is superb:

Audio: B&W 803D3, SVS Ultra 13, McIntosh MA9000, Mark Levinson No.5101, Roon Nucleus Plus, Denafrips Venus II, VPI Prime Signature, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Focal Stellia, Sennheiser HD800S

Bachtoven

Audio: B&W 803D3, SVS Ultra 13, McIntosh MA9000, Mark Levinson No.5101, Roon Nucleus Plus, Denafrips Venus II, VPI Prime Signature, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Focal Stellia, Sennheiser HD800S

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 01, 2024, 02:43:21 PMSpeaking of him and Naxos, recently I gave the recording of the 2nd Violin Concerto 'I Propheti' a listen. That work is the bee's knees in terms of cinematic sumptuousness and colourful luxury, absolutely tremendous. Love it. I echo Kyle's words about the chivalrious element that is perceived in some of his works, I felt that feature in that concerto. The 1st Violin Concerto is not half bad either. The two Piano Concertos, on the other hand, are not as powerful and vivid, but they are pretty good, nevertheless.

Agreed, the VCs nos. 1 and 2 showcase the composer at his very best. The VC no. 1 Concerto Italiano is hardly any less impressive or appealing than the (slightly) more famous No. 2. Interestingly, there is a VC no. 3 but it is only with piano accompaniment (it's been recorded recently by Naxos). And yes, the two PCs are not quite on the same level, but they're quite delightful all the same. In some ways, it's the "filler" on the below Naxos CD which steals the show - the Four Dances from Love's Labour's Lost:

The first dance, the Sarabande for the King of Navarre, is particularly memorable in its regal, stately character.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff