What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakefield

Tonight, while I dined, I watched a new chapter of the TV series "Orphan Black" (BBC America, 3rd Season), aired yesterday.

Then I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to start a thread like this about TV series that we are currently watching, reviews, recommendations, new chapters and new seasons.

That being said, I wouldn't want to restrict this thread to TV series, but a title was needed. :D

I mean TV series will probably take the lion's share of the content of this thread, but there is a lot of audiovisual material that we could discuss here: TED talks, all kinds of documentaries, "Comedy Central" roasts, web-based programs like Seinfeld's "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee" and so on.

These days of streaming, tablets, laptops, smartphones, I suspect many of us are consuming a lot of this kind of material. 

:)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Wakefield

Stannis "The Mannis" Baratheon: Why he's the best "Game of Thrones" character — and rightful king of Westeros

http://www.salon.com/2015/04/26/stannis_the_mannis_baratheon_why_hes_the_best_game_of_thrones_character_and_rightful_king_of_westeros/

"He's an absolute badass. He's the Clint Eastwood of Westeros." — IGN forum user DigInTheCrates

;D
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Mirror Image

I'm in the midst of re-watching the sitcoms Frasier, Wings, and Becker.

springrite

Kimi is watching a series about a doctor intern.  I don't know the name of the show.

She loves movies and TV with surgery, emergency room bloody scenes.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Bogey

On my own: Blacklist

My wife and I: Foyle's War.  We are on season 3.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

North Star

Quote from: Gordo on April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PMThese days of streaming, tablets, laptops, smartphones, I suspect many of us are consuming a lot of this kind of material.
If not consumed by it. . .

Inspector George Gently is currently broadcast on Saturday evenings over here, a very good police show located in the 60s North-East of England, with Martin Shaw & Lee Ingleby. Other TV I watch: QI and Frasier (for the nth time).
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Moonfish

Quote from: Gordo on April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM
Tonight, while I dined, I watched a new chapter of the TV series "Orphan Black" (BBC America, 3rd Season), aired yesterday.

Then I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to start a thread like this about TV series that we are currently watching, reviews, recommendations, new chapters and new seasons.

That being said, I wouldn't want to restrict this thread to TV series, but a title was needed. :D

I mean TV series will probably take the lion's share of the content of this thread, but there is a lot of audiovisual material that we could discuss here: TED talks, all kinds of documentaries, "Comedy Central" roasts, web-based programs like Seinfeld's "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee" and so on.

These days of streaming, tablets, laptops, smartphones, I suspect many of us are consuming a lot of this kind of material. 

:)

I started watching the first season a few months ago, but could not get into it. Does it pick up somewhere in that season (or later on for that matter)?
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Just finishing the fifth season of Downton Abbey. Watched all the previous four season this spring. Excellent story, but with a slight presence of "soapiness" as the seasons progressed. Still, great acting and sets. I am definitely a sucker for dramas from BBC (Masterpiece Theatre type).  :)

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

North Star

Quote from: Moonfish on April 26, 2015, 10:12:39 PM
Just finishing the fifth season of Downton Abbey. Watched all the previous four season this spring. Excellent story, but with a slight presence of "soapiness" as the seasons progressed. Still, great acting and sets. I am definitely a sucker for dramas from BBC (Masterpiece Theatre type).  :)
I have really only glimpsed at Downton Abbey, as the soapiness appeared too great for Dame Maggie's presence to be able to negate it.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Moonfish

Quote from: North Star on April 26, 2015, 10:23:28 PM
I have really only glimpsed at Downton Abbey, as the soapiness appeared too great for Dame Maggie's presence to be able to negate it.

It is actually pretty good if one enjoys BBC costume dramas (it is kind of a new version of "Upstairs, Downstairs").
Anna Lappé

springrite

Quote from: springrite on April 26, 2015, 08:21:03 PM
Kimi is watching a series about a doctor intern.  I don't know the name of the show.

She loves movies and TV with surgery, emergency room bloody scenes.

Dr. Grey?
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Jo498

I watched bits of the first seasons of Downton Abbey over Xmas 2013 when my sister gave the DVDs as a present to my mother. I like some costume drama but this was too soapy for me.
I absolutely loved Jeeves & Wooster and the Jeremy Brett Holmes series, also because of the stylish costumes and sets (these are among the very few series I actually bought the DVDs of). Of course this is old stuff.

Of more current series, I watched most of the first season of Boardwalk Empire (also quite stylish but with a lot of brutality and some implausible things), probably should finish at least the first season. I came rather late to Game of Thrones (having read the books I was disappointed by the first episode and put it off for more than a year. It's really flawed but of course I ended up watching it anyway. I am not jumping to the current seasons, though, because it will both spoil the not yet published books and considerably deviate from them, it seems.

I saw the first episode of "Lillyhammer" about an American mafioso relocating to Norway for witness protection. This was quite funny but did not grab enough to immediately keep watching. I will at some stage, maybe. (Overall I'd rather listen to music or play the occasional game of CIV...)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Karl Henning

Season 3 of the '80s version of The Twilight Zone, which overall has greatly pleased, exceeding querulous expectations.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Wakefield

Quote from: springrite on April 26, 2015, 10:44:39 PM
Dr. Grey?

If Kimi is watching "Grey's Anatomy", probably she will be sad some days, as one of the major characters (portrayed by Patrick Dempsey) tragically died the last chapter... I don't watch this series, but newspapers informed that fans (ladies principally) are devastated. 
-- Voltaire

Wakefield

Quote from: Moonfish on April 26, 2015, 10:10:29 PM
I started watching the first season a few months ago, but could not get into it. Does it pick up somewhere in that season (or later on for that matter)?

I enjoyed the first and second seasons, especially because of Tatiana Maslany's ability to give different features and personalities to every clon. But unfortunately the third season is being a disappointment so far.  :(   
-- Voltaire

Jubal Slate

Game of Thrones is my main one when The Walking Dead isn't on.

I also enjoy The Leftovers. Not sure when that one returns.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on April 26, 2015, 08:41:46 PM
On my own: Blacklist

I greatly enjoy Blacklist; I get my share of vicarious, gratuitous violence, enough to last me the week. The mystery is nice too.   >:D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

(poco) Sforzando

The Good Wife. Outstanding plotting and acting.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Wakefield

Quote from: MN Dave on April 27, 2015, 05:27:02 AM
Game of Thrones is my main one when The Walking Dead isn't on.

I also enjoy The Leftovers. Not sure when that one returns.

Two favorite of mine, too!

"The Leftovers" brought one of the most moving moments I have watched on TV the last years, when Kevin eulogizes Patti and reads the Book of Job, chapter 23:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBZDj4nTFNY

Great soundtrack by Max Richter.  :)
-- Voltaire

Jubal Slate

Quote from: Gordo on April 27, 2015, 06:24:30 AM
Two favorite of mine, too!

Great soundtrack by Max Richter.  :)

Which two of the three, Gordo? :)

Yes, the Richter soundtrack is great!