Author Topic: USA Politics  (Read 66186 times)

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
Re: USA Politics
« Reply #4360 on: October 21, 2020, 01:58:27 PM »
     Voters in Two States Report Threatening ‘Vote for Trump’ Emails

“We are in possession of all your information You are currently registered as a Democrat and we know this because we have gained access into the entire voting infrastructure. You will vote for Trump on Election Day or we will come after you. Change your party affiliation to Republican to let us know you received our message and will comply. We will know which candidate you voted for. I would take this seriously if I were you.”

The source of the email was a server in Estonia.

In the email that The Times reviewed, metadata shows that the original email came from vhost43553f0@avalik.koolibri.ee, an Estonian mail server hosted on ElkData.ee, one of the country’s domain hosting services.

If I got an email like this I would "view raw message" to see what that reveals. I might have seen the ".ee" or just looked up the originating IP address.
I heard a story today about a 20-year-old in Florida who received this and was truly scared and freaked out.

PD

Online drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #4361 on: October 21, 2020, 02:22:46 PM »

You did btw leave out Putin's involvement in Syria, which Obama's decision not to get involved there cleared the way for.

Trump's position on Iran is war in Yemen but no war in Syria. Also he has a Saudi friend, a Russian friend and a Turkish friend.

Trump's position on Ukraine involves less triangulation. He supports Putin and opposes Biden.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0 Waterfox/56.2.13

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:64.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/64.0

Offline BasilValentine

• Veteran member
« Reply #4362 on: October 21, 2020, 02:53:43 PM »
With respect to foreign policy Trump seemed to me the most paciifist POTUS since Jimmy Carter.

My opinion is that with respect to hawkishness Obama > Putin > Trump.

Yawn. Given that the three chief executives have/had entirely different motivations and interests in pursuing foreign policy goals, hawkishness is a vapid, intellectually lazy catch all. I'm wondering what you even mean by hawkish? If you mean naked aggression on foreign soil, including invading countries and annexing territory, then you're obviously in error in your ranking.

Online drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #4363 on: October 21, 2020, 07:08:38 PM »

"This data can be used by foreign actors to attempt to communicate false information to registered voters that they hope will cause confusion, sow chaos, and undermine your confidence in American democracy," Director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe said in a surprise news conference Wednesday evening.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0 Waterfox/56.2.13

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #4364 on: October 21, 2020, 07:12:35 PM »
The party of voter suppression doesn't mind.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Online drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #4365 on: October 21, 2020, 07:19:16 PM »

NSA intelligence led to last month’s takedown by Facebook and Twitter of a Russian operation called Peace Data, which recruited U.S. journalists to write articles intended to undermine support for Biden and his running mate, Sen. Kamala D. Harris (D-Calif.). In October, an FBI investigation led to the neutralizing of another Russian operation — this one targeting conservative voters — on three mainstream platforms.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #4366 on: Today at 12:43:00 AM »
I'm wondering what you even mean by hawkish?

Willingness to use military force or other violent actions in order to achieve a country's foreign policy goals or to protect their economic, strategic or geopolitical interests.

Now, if we refer to statements and declarations, Putin is the most bellicose leader in the world save Kim Jong-Un. When it comes to actual use of military force and violent actions, his are less numerous than Obama's. And compared to both Obama and Putin, Trump is a schoolyard boy.

Look, I'm not saying Putin is a good guy (he isn't) but I'd like to know why USA's militarily protecting their foreign interests in defiance of international law is legitimate or at least justifiable and Russia's doing the same isn't.
“Play Mozart in memory of me --- and I will hear you.” — Chopin

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #4367 on: Today at 04:42:59 AM »
T was least friendly/sympathetic president to the allies and developed nations.

Excellent. 

Willingness to use military force or other violent actions in order to achieve a country's foreign policy goals or to protect their economic, strategic or geopolitical interests.

It is important to distinguish between rhetoric and war.  Someone characterized Reagan as quite hawkish previously in this thread, yet Reagan invaded Grenada and approved various covert acts, none as consequential as Carter's Afghanistan policy.  Using Haass' framework, Reagan was an arch-maximalist in rhetoric, but a minimalist in action.  He spoke loudly and carried a big stick, but he didn't really use it.  Trump is a minimalist.  Obama was a minimalist compared to Bush II, though more warlike and prone to war and war crimes than Trump - eg, his vast, unaccountable expansion of assassination by UAV, and the destruction of Libya. 

Some items on your list of charges against Obama don't differentiate between rhetoric and action, and fail to take account of international agreement.  For instance, threatening to go to war with Iran is standard fare, and everyone knew Obama would not actually do it, just like Trump will not, nor will Biden.  Also, use of force against piracy in the Gulf of Aden and Red Sea was part of an international effort that involved multiple great powers, and fighting piracy is fairly mundane in the area of foreign policy.  Putin's actions in the Caucasus and Ukraine have represented a formal breach with long-standing norms, most importantly the seizure and annexation of land.  Putin's rhetoric and asymmetric activities show him to be fairly hawkish and quite willing to engage in standard violent or otherwise unpleasant policy actions to further Russian actions.  He is not especially hawkish in action given Russian limitations.  This century, the most violent and warlike great power has been the US, no question about it.  Every president since at least Eisenhower has committed war crimes under either the Geneva Conventions or the rules established at Nuremberg, but many Americans still need to rely on a fantasy that Americans are good guys and various foreigners are bad guys, with Russia the baddest of the bad.  Eventually, China will take that away from Russia, but not this election cycle.  Seems unlikely for the 2024 cycle, but it depends on what Chinese plans are regarding Taiwan.
« Last Edit: Today at 05:57:15 AM by Todd »
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #4368 on: Today at 04:47:51 AM »
Democrats Plan To Boycott Senate Committee Vote On Barrett Nomination

As an Oregonian, I would like some clarity on why in this instance Democrats are acting in a constructive, principled manner and are good, and why Oregon state Republicans, when they walked out of legislative sessions, are unprincipled and bad.  If I did not know any better, it appears that Dems are being their hypocritical selves.  To be clear, Republicans are hypocritical.  Both sides are hypocritical.  Ah, see that?

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #4369 on: Today at 05:16:56 AM »
Some items on your list of charges against Obama

Not my list. I copypasted it from The Atlantic. That being said, there's nothing in your post that I disagree with.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #4370 on: Today at 05:18:02 AM »
Democrats Plan To Boycott Senate Committee Vote On Barrett Nomination

As an Oregonian, I would like some clarity on why in this instance Democrats are acting in a constructive, principled manner and are good, and why Oregon state Republicans, when they walked out of legislative sessions, are unprincipled and bad.  If I did not know any better, it appears that Dems are being their hypocritical selves.  To be clear, Republicans are hypocritical.  Both sides are hypocritical.  Ah, see that?

This is bothsiderism, right?  :D

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #4371 on: Today at 05:44:52 AM »
I copypasted it from The Atlantic.

Got it.  That explains the mediocrity.

This is bothsiderism, right?  :D

When pseudo-intellectuals use the phrase or one of its derivatives, they really mean that Democrats are morally good and intellectually honest, and that when Dems engage in a specific action or use a specific argument, it is wholesome and right.  When dastardly Republicans do it, it is vile and wrong and dishonest.  You will see said pseudo-intellectuals attempt to use logicians' phrases like "false equivalence" or "moral equivalence", or whatnot.

Now, in the comparison I raised, Amy Coney Barrett is very clearly a bad person, bordering on Hitlerian evil.  She does not agree with Roe, for instance.  That necessarily, automatically, and permanently renders her entirely unsuitable to sit on SCOTUS.  Therefore, given her Hitlerian evil, Democrats are taking the bold step of boycotting the Judiciary Committee vote.  It is an ineffectual, impotent gesture.

Oregon state Republicans, on the other hand, opposed righteous and good and wholesome legislation regarding an emissions cap and trade scheme*  presented by the near super-majority Democrats.  That prevented a quorum, which killed the bill.  Republicans were effective.  Actually, you see, that points out the difference: Democrats are incompetent and flail helplessly while Republicans, even when in minority status, thwart Dems.  Republicans are bad because they succeed.

* State level cap and trade legislation is hokum on many levels.  Every economist, of every political persuasion, will tell you that a carbon tax is far more efficient and effective at dealing with emissions.  Telling people you want to impose a massive new tax is political poison, though, so hokum prevails. 

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #4372 on: Today at 06:13:30 AM »
"Trump is trailing, according to FiveThirtyEight’s averages, by about 3.5 points in both Arizona and Florida and three points in North Carolina. He cannot afford to lose any of them. He is also in a statistical tie with Biden in Ohio, Texas, Iowa and Georgia. (Imagine if a Democrat were tied in Maryland, Connecticut, New Jersey and Vermont while trailing in Nevada, Colorado and New Hampshire.)

Such an extensive election map lead with a huge money advantage is every campaign operative’s dream. (Biden started October with $177 million on hand, compared with $63 million for Trump.) Trump, on the other hand, has too many holes in the dike, with too little time and too few resources to plug them. Moreover, he has no compelling reason to change voters’ minds. He wastes time hollering about indecipherable conspiracy plots; whining that CBS’s Lesley Stahl was mean to him; joining supporters in a “lock her up” chant against popular Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer (D); and trying to minimize a pandemic that has killed more than 220,000 Americans."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #4373 on: Today at 06:38:00 AM »
Remember the joke in Spaceballs about 12345 as a password?

"Dutch security researcher succeeded in logging into the Twitter account of the American President Donald Trump [who] had an extremely weak and easy to guess password ["maga2020!"] and had, according to the researcher, not applied two-step verification."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Herman

• Veteran member
  • there's something wrong with my brain
« Reply #4374 on: Today at 06:54:00 AM »
whining that CBS’s Lesley Stahl was mean to him; joining supporters in a “lock her up” chant against popular Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer (D)

I believe tonight's debate is again moderated by a woman?

There are not enough sedatives in the USA for Trump not to have yet another peeve episode...

Online greg

• Veteran member
« Reply #4375 on: Today at 08:00:56 AM »
When pseudo-intellectuals use the phrase or one of its derivatives, they really mean that Democrats are morally good and intellectually honest, and that when Dems engage in a specific action or use a specific argument, it is wholesome and right.  When dastardly Republicans do it, it is vile and wrong and dishonest.  You will see said pseudo-intellectuals attempt to use logicians' phrases like "false equivalence" or "moral equivalence", or whatnot.
This concept isn't just for this phrase, this sums up partisan politics in a nutshell. Tribalism 101 here.

Part of the problem may be that some groups are actually bad, so if you recontextualize some things then it can turn negative. So there could be some legitimacy to this generally, but not in the sense of Republicans/Democrats, because to just think that all of them are bad is retarded.

I really wish people could detach from their tribes/groups, in order to be able to look for the truth more freely, without having their tribal/philosophical/religious filter applied to their vision. But when you try to question attached people, usually they will make it personal and view you as some sort of devil just for trying to find the truth.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Online drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #4376 on: Today at 08:35:23 AM »

I really wish people could detach from their tribes/groups, in order to be able to look for the truth more freely, without having their tribal/philosophical/religious filter applied to their vision.

People do that all the time, but consider also that filters can be open or closed to disconfirmation of beliefs.

Offline flyingdutchman

« Reply #4377 on: Today at 08:41:31 AM »

Except Trump has not packed the court.  The phrase and concept eludes many/most/all lefties.  Trump and McConnell have followed constitutionally and statutorily prescribed processes to fill judicial vacancies.  McConnell arrived at a novel approach to blocking a SCOTUS nominee in 2016, so now nominees can get either Borked or Garlanded when they get screwed over for purely political reasons. 

Packing the court is when sore loser lefties - and it is always sore loser lefties - attempt to use legislative means to increase the number of justices to meet a preferred outcome - a majority.  FDR tried this in the 30s when the mean old justices then on the bench disagreed with his executive branch power grab.  Even he failed.  (There is some question whether he really wanted to succeed, or if he just wanted a more pliable court, which he ended up with.)  Lefties want to do it again today.  Lefties are sore losers.  And they are hilariously inept.  Ro Khanna and assorted Dem hangers-on are engaging in a silly attempt to legislatively limit SCOTUS justice terms.  Apparently, Khanna and crew forgot to read the actual Constitution.  Either that, or they do know the Constitution and are merely grandstanding.  I guess that would make them cynical.  Hmm.  (Best case from a lefty standpoint is that they are wishful thinkers since the premise of the legislation is that SCOTUS justices be reassigned to lower courts, thereby adhering to the good behavior clause.  Good luck on that one.)

But let's play a fun game.  If Dems succeed under a Super-Creepy 46 administration, and pack the court, a future Republican government will have several avenues to limit the damage the unelected body can do.  They could pack the court again, bringing it to an unruly size, rendering even procedural decisions unnecessarily difficult.  That would be a good outcome.  They could limit appellate jurisdiction.  That would definitely be a good outcome.  They could limit SCOTUS session lengths.  That could be nearly paralyzing in some instances, resulting in conflicting lower court rulings on various matters.  That would be a delightful outcome.  This would all be made much, much easier if Dems abolish the legislative filibuster. 

So it would be a very good thing if Dems sweep in a couple weeks, eliminate the legislative filibuster, and pack the court. 

Go Dems!

Dems like me don't care what you think. We're just following the "good" example of Moscow Mitch. When it comes time to pack the courts, we'll just tell the GOP to go eff themselves.

Online drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #4378 on: Today at 08:57:12 AM »

If Biden endorses a court reform package with buy-in from some Repubs that might make it more difficult for Repubs to throw it away if they ever get unified government behind a white power platform. These days Repubs are acting as though this is the last chance for the Lost Cause.