Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

I don't follow DVD releases anymore because we are living HD age. This German release had gone under my radar, but I noticed it today and I ordered it used from a Amazon.de marketplace seller:

Steven Spielberg's Das Haus des Bösen (Something Evil, 1972).

10.28 euros delivered.

----------

I have six albums from The Carpenters now:

Close to You
Carpenters
A Song For You
Now & Then
Horizon
A Kind of Hush

Three of these I got from "Finnish eBay" Huuto.net pretty cheap.

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

71 dB

I was able to buy The Carpenters debut album, Ticket To Ride, on CD for 12,90 euros delivered from a Finnish auction site!  8)

steve ridgway

Quote from: 71 dB on February 27, 2024, 08:38:55 AMI was able to buy The Carpenters debut album, Ticket To Ride, on CD for 12,90 euros delivered from a Finnish auction site!  8)

The Universe loves you ;D .

71 dB

Quote from: steve ridgway on February 27, 2024, 08:24:30 PMThe Universe loves you ;D .

I do have these "good days", but in between them are a lot of disappointing ones. I'm not even done with this purchase. I'm now waiting for the CD to arrive. Since it is a used CD, there's a small risk of surface scratches affecting the play (the seller says the CD will play, but different CD-players handle scratches differently - fortunately many scratched CDs can be "fixed" with toothpaste). The package can even get lost in the transit. Things can go wrong even if the probability is very low.

Of course happiness shouldn't hinge on how well old albums are available on CD. Of all the possible problems people can have in life this one is a "first World problem" at best. How ever, it has been frustrating and annoying to see how collecting these The Carpenters albums on CD is like collecting the CDs of an obscure band making weird underground music. There are so many 5 CD boxsets in the "Original Albums Series" by bands who have sold a small fraction of the amount The Carpenters have (at least 40 million, but some say even 100 million, of which I believe most are singles). Instead of boxsets, The Carpenters "hits" are released on many "best of" compilations. These compilations are almost identical, because they contain the same hit songs. Some bands had good hits songs and the other songs were fillers. For those bands compilations like this are very reasonable, but in my opinion The Carpenters is an example of a band whose albums don't have fillers. The hit songs give a limited and incomplete picture of the band. That's why it is annoying to have the record companies "tell me" the hit songs are all I need and if I'm crazy enough to collect the albums, I have to buy expensive (and not always in stock) Japanese SHM-CDs!

Mama Cass Elliot's first few albums are even more (much more) difficult to get on CD. I was forced to buy a collection containing many songs from those albums including the song "Make Your Own Kind of Music" that made me interested of the artist in the first place.

Then there is Maureen McGovern. I am only interested of her 70s output, mostly the first two albums. Suddenly there is this twofer coming out containing the first 4 albums and I am in the seventh heaven. I buy it and when it arrives, it is a lousy vinyl rip on CD-R! The first time ever I have experienced a scam like that! It is just too much to ask to have Maureen McGovern's first two albums on CD taken from the original master tapes remastered. Since the music on those albums is very much to my liking in the genre of "sunshine pop", this experienced was a bit traumatic.

Initially I was so excited about discovering "sunshine pop" last October or thereabouts, but it has been more cloudy than expected and I have lost my interest. With this The Carpenters CD I can end (or at least put a pause on) this journey into "sunshine pop" and look elsewhere.

BTW, the Finnish auction site HUUTO.NET has been quite helpful with collecting The Carpenters offering many CDs cheaper than what they would be if ordered from other countries. In most cases my music taste is quite different from typical Finnish taste, but it seems The Carpenters have some popularity in Finland. Most of the time the most popular artists are not to liking that much.

steve ridgway

I am finding classical music a lot easier to collect. Being able to choose from multiple recordings instead of having to own the one original and genuine version makes it much easier to relax and wait for bargains to show up rather than fixating on the holes in my collection  8).

71 dB

Quote from: steve ridgway on February 28, 2024, 09:16:58 PMI am finding classical music a lot easier to collect. Being able to choose from multiple recordings instead of having to own the one original and genuine version makes it much easier to relax and wait for bargains to show up rather than fixating on the holes in my collection  8).

Indeed classical music is so much easier! Tons of big cheap boxes (170 CDs of Mozart for 100 euros delivered! Insane!). So many recordings and re-releases! SACDs! It is mindblowing how I can buy the music of Johann Christian Schieferdecker (Buxtehude's last pupil), an obscure composer almost nobody knows about, almost easier than the albums of The Carpenters, one of the best known acts of the 70s popular music! That's why I have intentionally almost stopped buying classical music. I already have more than I need while collecting just a dozen CDs of sunshine pop takes patience, effort, time and money.  ???

Classical music has changed my perspective of what amounts as a lot of music. Before I got into classical music, 10 CDs of music seemed a lot (the whole output of a band after 25 years of activity), while in the World of classical music, 10 CDs is JUST the String Quartets of a prolific composer of chamber music...

drogulus

Ich auch bought a thing from Amazon Germany!

For years I looked for this film and all I found were VHS tapes and DVDs I didn't quite trust.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

SimonNZ

Finally reacquired, after having had to sell my old set some seven or eight years ago.