What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: George on May 10, 2019, 07:05:28 PM

Just started this tonight and its good. Funny, dark, touching, complex.

I watched the pilot and must say I found it quite dull. Does it pick up?

I have been watching "The Kamisky Method" in dribs and drabs. I probably should focus on that.

Daverz

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on May 10, 2019, 01:06:03 PM
No one watching Game of Thrones? Well, I'm not either, don't get HBO. I'll presumably find a way to watch it when the final season is done and it is released on disc, Amazon Prime Video, iTunes, etc. But I've been reading the episode reviews as the new season appears (not afraid of spoilers). Seems like they are in a big rush to finish it up and be done with it.

I've been watching.  This season has been a total dumpster fire. 

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Daverz on May 15, 2019, 11:15:50 PM

Seems like the material for 6 seasons has been condensed into 6 episodes...

milk

It probably deserves all the hate its got. But it's interesting to me just how people are reacting. They had a really huge ship to bring into port and they have seriously banged and bashed it.

Omicron9

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on May 10, 2019, 05:31:18 PM
Moone Boy-- a very offbeat but hilarious Hulu comedy about an 11 year-old Irish boy and his imaginary (45 year old!) friend.

A Cook's Tour Anthony Bourdain.  We saw most of the ones in this series many years ago, but it is fun to catch up on them again.

Newhart Bought the DVDs of season two--am waiting for Larry, Darrell, and Darrell to show up !

Also, we stopped watching The Sopranos a while ago (finished the series), but I am experiencing a bit of withdrawl, so am watching various "Tony Raging" compilations on YouTube.

Absolutely zero interest in Game of Thrones.

I finished a long-term binge of the entire "Newhart" series not long ago.  That show really seems to find its footing around season 3 or 4, at the point where Kirk leaves and Stephanie/Michael arrive.  From that point on, it is so incredibly well-done.  Newhart is the master of dry comedy performance.  Enjoy!

"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Omicron9

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on May 15, 2019, 09:24:28 PM

I have been watching "The Kamisky Method" in dribs and drabs. I probably should focus on that.

I binged "Dead to Me" over two nights; it does pick up.  There are some good plot twists and surprises. 

"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Ken B

I am trying, for the second time, Babylon Berlin. I gave up mid episode 2 last fall. I feel that I should really like this show, but I cannot say that I do.

drogulus

I'm watching Weissensee, set in '80s East Berlin, about a family of police officers entangled with mother and daughter dissidents. It's kind of soapy but well done.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Jo498

Quote from: Ken B on May 16, 2019, 07:06:55 AM
I am trying, for the second time, Babylon Berlin. I gave up mid episode 2 last fall. I feel that I should really like this show, but I cannot say that I do.
It's flawed and overrated, some things are fairly ridiculous (like that "title song" that has absolutely nothing to do with 1920s music) but maybe worth a little more patience. (I watched the whole of it last fall when it came to free TV in Germany.) The best are the costumes and settings, I am afraid.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Daverz

Quote from: Jo498 on May 16, 2019, 11:10:47 AM
It's flawed and overrated, some things are fairly ridiculous (like that "title song" that has absolutely nothing to do with 1920s music) but maybe worth a little more patience. (I watched the whole of it last fall when it came to free TV in Germany.) The best are the costumes and settings, I am afraid.

I left off about half way through the first season and haven't felt very compelled to come back to it.

Was there a followup to Deutschland '83?  That I'd like to see.

George

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on May 15, 2019, 09:24:28 PM

Plotwise, yes. But I would say if you didn't enjoy the pilot, I wouldn't suggest continuing.

QuoteI have been watching "The Kamisky Method" in dribs and drabs. I probably should focus on that.

A helluva show. So glad we will be getting a season 2.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SimonNZ

second viewing

First time around I remember saying that whoever it was that played Anne Boleyn gave a memorable performance. Post The Crown I now can reiterate with more accuracy that Claire Foy gave a great performance. And the rest was just as good as I remember - though the historical exposition in episode one seemed way more obvious this time around.

Jo498

Quote from: Daverz on May 16, 2019, 02:02:43 PM
I left off about half way through the first season and haven't felt very compelled to come back to it.

Was there a followup to Deutschland '83?  That I'd like to see.
No idea, I haven't seen this one and was only barely aware of it.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Daverz

Todd

Fire in the Maternity Ward.  Not a series, of course, and not as good as his last Netflix special, but still quite good.  The extended bit about why murder-suicide is the best suicide, and the fifteen minute closing bit on abortion have some prime material.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

George

Quote from: Todd on May 18, 2019, 05:54:46 AM

Fire in the Maternity Ward.  Not a series, of course, and not as good as his last Netflix special, but still quite good.  The extended bit about why murder-suicide is the best suicide, and the fifteen minute closing bit on abortion have some prime material.

Saw that last week and really enjoyed it. To me, the last special was a bit of a misstep and this one sees him right back on track, even if he is more deliberate here. I got the sense that he was taking this special ultra seriously.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Well, we can read the books and see how it really ends. According to my Kindle I've read the first three volumes. That means I read two more volumes, wait for Martin to finish Volume 6, which he has been working on for 8 years, then wait probably another decade for him to finish Volume 7. That's contingent on both of us being alive that long. And it assumes Martin doesn't write Volume 7 and decide that eight volumes will be necessary. Ok. Maybe I accept the TV show ending.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ken B on May 10, 2019, 04:55:42 PM
After I catch up with all the reruns on the paint drying channel.

Must-see TV!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

So many GoT questions. How to explain that the seasons on this planet are variable in length? Reportedly people could be born, live, and die during a long winter. What is the physical mechanism for the seasons?

And, of course, why are the Khaleesi's eyebrows jet black even though she has platinum blond hair?

George

Second time through this great show. Just finished episode 2.