What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: Todd on November 17, 2019, 02:26:58 PM

Indeed.  I may have to watch now that I know he's in it.

It's a great show!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

dissily Mordentroge

Repeats of The Antique Roadshow. To hear the English language spoken so clearly is only one of the thrills.

Papy Oli

Finished Season 1 of World on Fire on the BBC catch up last night. Gripping viewing.

Halfway through the second season of the Kominsky Method on Netflix as well. As good and as sarcastic as the first one.

Tonight: finally catching up with Guilt !!!
Olivier

ritter

Quote from: Papy Oli on November 18, 2019, 02:34:20 AM
Finished Season 1 of World on Fire on the BBC catch up last night. Gripping viewing.
Watching that one here in Spain as well...gripping indeed.

SimonNZ

"1964" in the PBS American Experience series

particularly good on Barry Goldwater (in fact that could have been a multi part series all of its own)

Todd

Season 2 of Jim Halpert: Tough Guy Lady Killer.  This time around, Messrs Ryan and Greer become embroiled in international chicanery involving PMCs, new-fangled satellite-based LIDAR, corrupt politicians and rigged elections, and tantalum, all in Venezuela.  How very timely.  The heavy-handed use of too dramatic music and choppy editing can't mask the fact that the show is boring, though the second season ups the ante by bringing in Noomi Rapace and a host of TV character actors from better TV shows - GoT, The Americans, Narcos, House of Cards.  Meh.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Ken B

The Crown, Season 3

This continues to be interesting and entertaining, mostly for the astounding production values, and some good acting.

SimonNZ

three episodes in and unexpectedly impressed (particularly surprised to learn that the careful and sober direction is from Ben Stiller, of all people)

jess

Been watching Doctor Who episodes from the 2005 reboot onwards (which a smattering of Classic Era stuff in between) as I wait for THIS WHICH IS COMING OUT SOOOOOOON oh my god the trailer looks good

https://www.youtube.com/v/vkEB0ysv7sM

vandermolen

I greatly enjoyed the first part of a TV series called 'Vienna Blood' - a murder mystery set in early 20th Century Vienna.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Ken B

Quote from: vandermolen on November 23, 2019, 01:52:32 PM
I greatly enjoyed the first part of a TV series called 'Vienna Blood' - a murder mystery set in early 20th Century Vienna.
Now I have pictures of Strauss, Lehar, Von Suppé, and a wood chipper ...

vandermolen

Quote from: Ken B on November 23, 2019, 02:25:39 PM
Now I have pictures of Strauss, Lehar, Von Suppé, and a wood chipper ...

Mahler makes a brief guest appearance playing the piano.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Papy Oli

Quote from: vandermolen on November 23, 2019, 01:52:32 PM

I have this one in the watching queue. Mahler's appearance sells it even more  :laugh:

Have you seen the War of the Worlds on BBC as well ?
Olivier

j winter

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

j winter

Quote from: jess on November 24, 2019, 10:10:11 AM
NICE, which season/serials?

I signed up for Britbox, which has all of the classic Dr. Who.  My wife and I are planning to take the whole trip in order (there's not a lot of TV that we agree on but we both like the doctor).  We just finished Troughton last night, and have moved on to Pertwee.

The doctors I grew up with are Pertwee, Baker, and Davison.  I hadn't seen much Troughton prior to this, but really enjoyed it -- great fun!
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

jess

Quote from: j winter on November 24, 2019, 12:37:01 PM
I signed up for Britbox, which has all of the classic Dr. Who.  My wife and I are planning to take the whole trip in order (there's not a lot of TV that we agree on but we both like the doctor).  We just finished Troughton last night, and have moved on to Pertwee.

The doctors I grew up with are Pertwee, Baker, and Davison.  I hadn't seen much Troughton prior to this, but really enjoyed it -- great fun!

Brilliant. I love Hartnell and Troughton. Haven't seen a lot of Pertwee but I have watched his first season and I love it—especially Inferno.

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on November 23, 2019, 10:33:02 PM
I have this one in the watching queue. Mahler's appearance sells it even more  :laugh:

Have you seen the War of the Worlds on BBC as well ?

Yes indeed Olivier. I watched Part 2 tonight. I enjoyed it but preferred 'World on Fire' and 'Vienna Blood' which I've been recommending to everyone. I didn't realise that World at War was an attack on British Colonialism ('now you can see what it's like to be colonised!') apparently H.G.Wells hated the treatment of the Aborigines in Australia. An enjoyable series and interesting to see Demelza from Poldark in a different role.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Roy Bland

Wonderful opening theme by Wilfreds Josephs

IMHO BBC's series in 1970s were absolutely the best