What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

staxomega

Quote from: milk on January 29, 2020, 01:19:17 AM

I watched a few minutes of this. It's not for me. Just my two cents but ST is not what it once was. It's just too broad, too laborious or strained, too much trying to create some kind of arc, and not nerdy enough. I guess it's a bit silly to say, seeing as how this is the um-teenth iteration of the ST universe, but it feels very tired, uninventive, etc. I don't like any of the SF I see now-a-days. I think there's not the inventiveness there used to be in TV. Battlestar Galactica was a very creative show, at least aesthetically and thematically, though it could be very annoying at times. Everything feels very safe to me these days. There is so much that could be done I wonder why TV has become so lame.

As someone that has never seen any Star Trek (aside from an old roommate desperately trying for me to get into Voyager) I loved Discovery. I am a season behind so no spoilers there please :)

I only started watching non-sitcom TV when the so called "golden age" started and I think the first TV series that was of great interest to me was Lost. So I really started to get a taste for that "what will happen next" type of serial show where everything is connected and there is some grand story arc. This is why I  enjoy Discovery so much even if older fans hate it. Someone on another forum has put together a mini pack of old episodes/movie(s) to put some context around Picard, I plan to give this a go too. On that board old Star Trek fans seem to have more enthusiasm for Picard than for Discovery. Discovery is universally hated  :laugh:

I loved BSG :) The Expanse is another current sci-fi show I really enjoy. Dark on Netflix is also really good.

Papy Oli

Finished SAFE last night on Netflix, a standalone series based on a crime novel by Harlan Coben, unraveling the deep secrets of a gated well-off community. Gripping stuff, highly recommended.

Also finished the first series of DARK, a German apocalyptic/time-travel thriller following murders and disappearances in 4 families in a small German town with a nuclear plant and a big cave (also on Netflix). An absolute mindfudge of a series but very good. You'll need a characters map in front of you to keep up properly with the various characters through the various time periods though.

Olivier

André

Coincidentally, another Harlan Coben-based series.

Papy Oli

Quote from: André on February 19, 2020, 05:24:00 AM

Coincidentally, another Harlan Corben-based series.

Thanks André, will have to keep an eye out for this one.

Netflix have another Coben-based series added recently, The Stranger. In the queue for viewing soon.

Olivier

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

André

I concur with Olivier's assessment above. Good acting, esp. from Marc Warren. Michael C. Hall (Dexter) is good too, but his character alternates btw sentimental portrayal and action hero. I like the way all the threads are connected in the last episode.

Roy Bland

drogulus

Quote from: Roy Bland on March 08, 2020, 08:49:47 AM

This was a real landmark production. I must have watched it half a dozen times over the decades and I will again. It kicked off a Golden Age of TV productions that stretched all the way into the "80s, or the '90s if you want to be generous.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

drogulus

I looked at my DVD rip of Six Wives and its horrible, like VHS horrible. It's not the rip, I don't do any processing at all, it's the discs. So I took out the box and found it was an edition from 2000.

Next I went to Amazon Prime and looked at it there and it's much better, good enough so you aren't distracted by quality issues.

I'd rather own this set and not be subject to Amazonian availability, so I did a little sleuthing and found an edition from 2011 is the most recent and a customer review said this one was good. So I ordered a used copy for less than $20. New it would be about $200.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

vandermolen

Actually I rather like the movie of the Six Wives of Henry VIII also with Keith Michell.

I recall my parents going to the premiere of it in London.

As for TV series I'm currently watching Babylon Berlin Series 3. Love it:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

drogulus

It was Homeland last night, the last episode of last season and the first episode of the current, final season.

It's probably time to wrap this one up, even though last season was quite good and timely.

TMHeimer

There are always so many new shows the last few years, as well as the "reduced" seasons of the shows you got used to being more prevalent. Seems every week there's a new "Series Premiere" that you just have to add. Of course, we record everything and watch it at our leisure, which may contribute to the situation--one that seemed to start after 2000.
The most recent ones we've watched are Stumptown and Nurses, which is another medical drama this one in Canada. Maybe I'll post again in April after all the new "Summer" or "Spring" season premieres occur.....
The Most Advanced Clarinet Book
tomheimer.ampbk.com/
austinmacauley.com/author/heimer-tom
(click on book image, PDF samples)
Boreal Ballad for unaccompanied clarinet solo
(Sheet Music Plus)

Daverz

Quote from: hvbias on February 13, 2020, 07:06:33 AM
This is why I  enjoy Discovery so much even if older fans hate it.

Steve Shives, who does a Star Trek video series on YouTube, was fairly positive about Discovery. 

https://www.youtube.com/v/0yRsFtyKELc

The technobabble is even more annoying than usual Trek, and the character behavior is as annoying as Voyager, but ultimately, like a lot of fans, I could not get beyond the arbitrary decision to completely redesign the look and behavior of the Klingons.  They also decided to have the Klingons speak Klingon, but apparently no Klingon is actually proficient in spoken Klingon (because, duh, they are actors who learned their lines phonetically), so every scene with Klingons speaking to each other is excruciating.   

So far, DS9 is the best Star Trek franchise.

SimonNZ

Quote from: drogulus on March 21, 2020, 08:33:51 AM
    It was Homeland last night, the last episode of last season and the first episode of the current, final season.

It's probably time to wrap this one up, even though last season was quite good and timely.

I just finished a rewatch of seasons 1-7 of Homeland and ended with a higher opinion of the last two than I did the first time around.

Have started on a second viewing of Game Of Thrones. Everyone looks so young.

George

I'm running out of shows to try. For some reason, I never gave this one a try. A few episodes in and enjoying this.

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

drogulus

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 21, 2020, 02:39:02 PM

Have started on a second viewing of Game Of Thrones. Everyone looks so young.

I'm more of a Wars of the Roses kind of guy, the old BBC Shakespeare series and The Hollow Crown series done a few years ago.

SimonNZ

Quote from: drogulus on March 21, 2020, 03:08:25 PM
     I'm more of a Wars of the Roses kind of guy, the old BBC Shakespeare series and The Hollow Crown series done a few years ago.

I love those too, but its not what I want right now. The big BBC Shakespeare has many merits (including an excellent Measure For Measure), but also a number of misfires. The Hollow Crown is excellent, but I was disappointed at how they truncated Henry VI.

vandermolen

Series 2 of 'Liar'
Series 3 of 'Babylon Berlin'
Series 8 (on DVD) of 'Foyle's War'
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

TMHeimer

Quote from: Daverz on March 21, 2020, 01:11:07 PM
Steve Shives, who does a Star Trek video series on YouTube, was fairly positive about Discovery. 

https://www.youtube.com/v/0yRsFtyKELc

The technobabble is even more annoying than usual Trek, and the character behavior is as annoying as Voyager, but ultimately, like a lot of fans, I could not get beyond the arbitrary decision to completely redesign the look and behavior of the Klingons.  They also decided to have the Klingons speak Klingon, but apparently no Klingon is actually proficient in spoken Klingon (because, duh, they are actors who learned their lines phonetically), so every scene with Klingons speaking to each other is excruciating.   

So far, DS9 is the best Star Trek franchise.
And, what happened to Discovery?  Wasn't a favourite of mine either, especially with the continuing plot line as opposed to the old series that has "self-contained" episodes (ei., you could watch years later without missing a beat). But as I recently posted, in the "new" (last 20 yrs.) TV rules, why were there so few episodes and where is it now?  Oh wait, we have yet another newbie--'Star Trek Picard".....And one that started "mid-season".. Oh wait again, there hasn't BEEN a "season" (Sept.-June...) for how long?
The Most Advanced Clarinet Book
tomheimer.ampbk.com/
austinmacauley.com/author/heimer-tom
(click on book image, PDF samples)
Boreal Ballad for unaccompanied clarinet solo
(Sheet Music Plus)

drogulus

For All Mankind, the alternative-history story of the NASA space program., may not have looked appealing to some people who don't much like one or more of its elements. It's well done and its messaging may not be as bothersome as its premise would suggest. If you give it a try you might get hooked in these distinctly non-piping times.