What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

Finished Harlan Coben's "The Stranger" last night on Netflix. Decent but found it not as edge of seat and multi-threaded as "Safe".

Olivier

André

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 22, 2020, 08:13:38 AM
Finished Harlan Coben's "The Stranger" last night on Netflix. Decent but found it not as edge of seat and multi-threaded as "Safe".

Thanks for the comment, Papy. Safe was a cobweb of intrigues, deceits and false leads. A real thriller.

Right now: finished watching season I of Hinterland. I like the format of one full story per 75 minute episode. My favourite character is DI Mared Rhys. Will start season 2 tonight or tomorrow.

Papy Oli

Quote from: André on March 22, 2020, 09:01:08 AM
Thanks for the comment, Papy. Safe was a cobweb of intrigues, deceits and false leads. A real thriller.

Right now: finished watching season I of Hinterland. I like the format of one full story per 75 minute episode. My favourite character is DI Mared Rhys. Will start season 2 tonight or tomorrow.

Excellent André, Hinterland is an absolute corker in its own different slow style.
Olivier

North Star

Watching Doctor Who for the first time, the revived era episodes.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Wakefield

Watching this British TV series again:

"The plot centers around a graphic novel called The Utopia Experiments. It is rumoured to have predicted some disastrous epidemics (like BSE) in the past. There is an unpublished sequel which contains even more pertinent information for the survival of humankind. Various groups and people want this manuscript, some to find out the hidden truths in it, others to cover up conspiracies and secret identities." (Wikipedia)

The best TV series I have watched in some time, with a superb OST if you like electronic music.  :)

Trailer: https://youtu.be/uJnN3WMwDsk
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Mookalafalas

I'm watching a documentary series on WWI called "Apocalypse".  It is extremely cursory, and huge events only get a couple of minutes. I am far from a WWI scholar, but feel like I know more about the events from the little I remember from previous reading.

BUT, the series has incredible archival footage, which has all been colorized.  I am opposed to colorization of old movies, in general, but in this case it is stunningly effective.  It is like a time machine. 
It's all good...

Papy Oli

How to get Away with Murder - seasons 1,2,3.

Very soap opera-like, implausible at the best of times but entertaining. Absolute pants...but entertaining...won't bother with seasons 4&5.

Watching the last season of Better Call Saul each week as well. As good as ever.

Will start shortly the new 3rd season of Ozark being released today. I really enjoyed the first two.

Olivier

staxomega

Quote from: Gordo on March 24, 2020, 05:32:01 AM
Watching this British TV series again:

"The plot centers around a graphic novel called The Utopia Experiments. It is rumoured to have predicted some disastrous epidemics (like BSE) in the past. There is an unpublished sequel which contains even more pertinent information for the survival of humankind. Various groups and people want this manuscript, some to find out the hidden truths in it, others to cover up conspiracies and secret identities." (Wikipedia)

The best TV series I have watched in some time, with a superb OST if you like electronic music.  :)

Trailer: https://youtu.be/uJnN3WMwDsk

One of my all time favorite series, I was thoroughly disappointed when it was cancelled. Or that the Fincher remake didn't come to fruition.

Irons

Quote from: Mookalafalas on March 27, 2020, 12:33:29 AM
I'm watching a documentary series on WWI called "Apocalypse".  It is extremely cursory, and huge events only get a couple of minutes. I am far from a WWI scholar, but feel like I know more about the events from the little I remember from previous reading.

BUT, the series has incredible archival footage, which has all been colorized.  I am opposed to colorization of old movies, in general, but in this case it is stunningly effective.  It is like a time machine. 

Should not post here as not TV but have become addicted to "The Great War" on YouTube. A day by day progression of how WW1 unfolded. With the aid of maps and film the presenter - a title not giving him full justice - brilliantly educates. Absolutely ideal for young adults unable to attend school/college.

https://youtu.be/6FgaL0xIazk
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Wakefield

Quote from: hvbias on March 27, 2020, 08:34:21 AM
One of my all time favorite series, I was thoroughly disappointed when it was cancelled. Or that the Fincher remake didn't come to fruition.

I was hugely disappointed too. But I didn't know about the Fincher's project: It had been great.

Maybe someday Netflix will do something about, as they already did with "The Killing" and "Arrested Development."

Over the years, I have also profoundly lamented the abrupt cancellation of "The Hour," a superb British TV series (BBC 2).  :)

"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Daverz

Finished up Star Trek: Picard.  Meh.  Frittered away what little promise it might have had.

Better Call Saul, season 5.  Still a great show.

Westworld, season 3.  So far, much better than the unnecessarily confusing season 2.

I thought I'd check out Devs later.

Roy Bland

Fëanor

Been focusing on a couple of sci fi series, both oldies:

LEXX, (1996) ...  I rate this 8/10;  IMDB 7.3.

A delightfully imaginative and eccentric 4-season series with a cult following.  I viewed this on TV back the day and am now viewing Season 1 thanks to borrowed resources.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexx[url=http://]]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexx[url]]]]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexx[url]

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115243/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1[/url]

~~~~

I'm also watching ...

Andromeda, (2000) ... I rate this 7/10;  IMDB 6.6

This series was rather more banal than Lexx, (above), but still an entertaining 5-season,  101 episode servies.  Basically it was a 1950s space opera updated to the early 21st century (and better for it).  I'm watching on Prime Video.

I have to say one of the things I like best about was the space ship's AI android 'avatar' character, Romie, played by the petite but very beautiful, Lexa Doig.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andromeda_(TV_series)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0213327/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_3

André

Started watching Rake yesterday. Season 1, episode 1. I almost turned it off after 20 minutes, but kept watching. In the end it was okay. Not sure if I'll take to it. I'll watch another couple of episodes. Might be worth it.

Todd

The third season of Ozark.  A step up from the second season, and enjoyable enough to watch at the clip of one episode an evening.  Some of the new characters and attendant storylines are a bit much, but then the show has never really been truly realistic. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

SimonNZ

finished season one and found it watchable enough, but am not as taken with it as some others here have been

SonicMan46

Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman (6 seasons, 1993-1998) - well, being a retired physician and an admirer of the old West and beautiful women, i.e. Jane Seymour, this series was made for me!  :laugh:

A while back, I streamed the entire 6 seasons for 'free' (probably on Amazon) and enjoyed - lately, wife and I looking for some joint viewing options and I suggested 'Dr. Quinn....' - well, Amazon wanted too much for each season now (must still be popular) - then, received an email from Deep Discount to purchase the ENTIRE series for just $68 (42 discs!) - thus, bought the package and about to finish the first season - knew that I would enjoy but Susan is also loving the characters and the numerous guest stars from those days!  Dave :)

vandermolen

I watched the drama 'Quiz' over the last three nights about the infamous 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire?' coughing fraud. I thought it was excellent. Both leads were brilliant and Michael Sheen (as Chris Tarrant) is always worth watching. I thought that the drama was very even handed leaving open the possibility that the Major and his wife may have been innocent:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on April 15, 2020, 10:03:17 PM
I watched the drama 'Quiz' over the last three nights about the infamous 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire?' coughing fraud. I thought it was excellent. Both leads were brilliant and Michael Sheen (as Chris Tarrant) is always worth watching. I thought that the drama was very even handed leaving open the possibility that the Major and his wife may have been innocent:

Watched episode one last night. Most enjoyable, it comes over as a black comedy I thought. As well as the parts you mention I thought Mark Bonnar was again brilliant as the wide eyed, slightly mad producer.
I was under the impression that the comedian Jasper Carrot devised the programme and sold the rights for a fortune. As his name wasn't mentioned, am I mistaken?
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on April 16, 2020, 12:06:58 AM
Watched episode one last night. Most enjoyable, it comes over as a black comedy I thought. As well as the parts you mention I thought Mark Bonnar was again brilliant as the wide eyed, slightly mad producer.
I was under the impression that the comedian Jasper Carrot devised the programme and sold the rights for a fortune. As his name wasn't mentioned, am I mistaken?
Episode 1 was more or less setting the scene so I'm sure you'll enjoy episode 2 (the programme) and episode 3 (the aftermath) even more Lol. Don't know about Jasper Carrot but I agree about Mark Bonnar's performance. I was only aware of him in another excellent drama 'Summer of Rockets' which I enjoyed very much indeed.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).