What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milk

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 21, 2020, 10:20:59 AM
It's tickled me, how many season 3 episodes have a role for character actor Vito Scotti.
The restaurant one is fun. Colombo cooks!

milk

SimonNZ

Daverz

Quote from: milk on May 22, 2020, 01:38:16 AM
The restaurant one is fun. Colombo cooks!

Peter Falk videos have been coming into my Youtube recommendations a lot lately.  According to Falk, when he was a cook in the merchant marine all he cooked was pork chops!

I'll have to hunt down that Columbo.  I love that show.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

drogulus

Quote from: SimonNZ on May 24, 2020, 06:07:21 PM

rewatching season one

I DL'd all 3. What's with the Danes and their politics? I mean, after Forbrydelsen do I want a whole show devoted to it? IOW I'm thinking that just maybe I do.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

SimonNZ

half way through the fourth and (say it ain't so!) final season, and continuing to feel this was and is the absolute best show of recent years

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SimonNZ on May 24, 2020, 06:07:21 PM

rewatching season one
Is this supposed to be a play on the name "Borgia" perchance?   :)   ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SimonNZ

Heh. I hadn't made that connection before. I'm not sure even the worst ones here rise to that level of ruthlessness and cynicism.

The title, of course, means "The Castle", ie: Christiansborg Palace.

George

Ratliff

Quote from: George on May 24, 2020, 06:59:56 PM

I also watched this one, a 10 episode season. In case it's not obvious, it's about a near future in which you have the option of uploading your consciousness into a computer and continue to live in a simulation. A blend of sci-fi, social commentary, a romantic thriller subplot. I found it enjoyable.

vandermolen

I'd have thought that  this French drama might be of great interest here. A murder mystery (I think) set in an orchestra. I've only seen episode 1. Unfortunately the ruthless and possibly deranged new female conductor of the orchestra reminds me of a headmistress I once worked with! Strongly recommended on the basis of episode 1.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SimonNZ

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 27, 2020, 03:15:54 PM
Is this supposed to be a play on the name "Borgia" perchance?   :)   ;)

PD

Nearly finished a first watch of the third and final season, and think it the strongest. The first two were fine, but I kept wishing they'd dig down into the issues they were dealing with and offer a number of sides at some depth to rise to the level of The West Wing at its best and in this season they do it. The best larger story arcs in the background also. And I loved they way they jumped two years ahead without bothering with exposition.

That ad-line you noticed about "give everything up for your family - except power" is in no way a good representation of the show, and certainly not of the character of Brigitte Nyborg.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on June 03, 2020, 08:44:48 PM
I'd have thought that  this French drama might be of great interest here. A murder mystery (I think) set in an orchestra. I've only seen episode 1. Unfortunately the ruthless and possibly deranged new female conductor of the orchestra reminds me of a headmistress I once worked with! Strongly recommended on the basis of episode 1.

Sounds interesting:  both stories that is!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SimonNZ on June 04, 2020, 12:54:23 AM
Nearly finished a first watch of the third and final season, and think it the strongest. The first two were fine, but I kept wishing they'd dig down into the issues they were dealing with and offer a number of sides at some depth to rise to the level of The West Wing at its best and in this season they do it. The best larger story arcs in the background also. And I loved they way they jumped two years ahead without bothering with exposition.

That ad-line you noticed about "give everything up for your family - except power" is in no way a good representation of the show, and certainly not of the character of Brigitte Nyborg.

Pleased to hear that you are enjoying it!  And delighted to see you posting!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 04, 2020, 01:58:31 AM
Sounds interesting:  both stories that is!

PD

It's OTT but great fun IMO PD, especially when the scheming members of the orchestra glue together the pages of the new conductor's score of Beethoven's 'Pastoral Symphony' just before a concert!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

George

Good for a laugh. John Malkovich is wonderful in this.

Todd

Quote from: George on June 04, 2020, 05:02:12 AM

Good for a laugh. John Malkovich is wonderful in this.

I've watched a few episodes, and Malkovich is easily the best thing in the show.  I wanted something more, and just being able to drop F-bombs doesn't really add a lot.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

Quote from: Todd on June 04, 2020, 05:03:40 AM

I've watched a few episodes, and Malkovich is easily the best thing in the show.  I wanted something more, and just being able to drop F-bombs doesn't really add a lot.
"I've wanted more" seems to be a common reaction to this show, which saddens me, because that cast has incredible potential.

Ratliff

Fleabag, season 2, continues to be brilliant.