What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakefield

Quote from: MN Dave on April 27, 2015, 06:26:39 AM
Which two of the three, Gordo? :)

Yes, the Richter soundtrack is great!

"Game of Thrones" and "The Leftovers", I haven't watched "The Walking Dead".  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 27, 2015, 05:27:23 AM
I greatly enjoy Blacklist; I get my share of vicarious, gratuitous violence, enough to last me the week. The mystery is nice too.   >:D

8)

Have you watched Sherlock (BBC One), Gurn? Cumberbatch and Freeman portray a very successful image of the relationship between Holmes and Watson. It's a fantastic modernized version.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Sergeant Rock

Just watched seasons 1 & 2 of the web series Adult Wednesday Addams. Hysterical, and creepy  ;D  Unfortunately the Charles Addams Foundation has gotten the series banned for copyright infringement so it is no longer available on YouTube.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 27, 2015, 07:02:21 AM
Just watched seasons 1 & 2 of the web series Adult Wednesday Addams. Hysterical, and creepy  ;D  Unfortunately the Charles Addams Foundation has gotten the series banned for copyright infringement so it is no longer available on YouTube.

Well, yes, they really ought to have secured the rights.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordo on April 27, 2015, 06:37:54 AM
Have you watched Sherlock (BBC One), Gurn? Cumberbatch and Freeman portray a very successful image of the relationship between Holmes and Watson. It's a fantastic modernized version.  :)

No, Gordo, I don't get but one BBC; BBC America. ANd they don't appear to be showing it yet. I will watch out for it though, since Holmes is one of my favorites!

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Rinaldo

Making my way, slowly, through John from Cincinnati. I don't like using the adjective 'weird' but this thing IS weird. In a good way, mostly.

https://www.youtube.com/v/SbbM_v2_5wA

Todd

I'm more interested in television than movies right now, and I generally prefer comedy to drama. 

Wolf Hall - Well, I'm trying to watch it, but 10:00 PM is just too late to watch full episodes, and I don't have a recording device.  (I'm an OTA and Netflix & Amazon guy, not a cable and DVR guy.)  Slow pace, but quite good from what I have seen.  I'll have to watch all episodes later.

House of Cards - Season three of the US version.  It should be subtitled The Wussification of Frank Underwood.

Breaking Bad - Rewatching.  I'm stuck on season five.  The show does not hold up very well on a second viewing.

Justified - Ready for second season.

The Last Man on Earth - Great stuff.  So glad it was picked up for a second season.  The best broadcast sitcom I know of.

The Middle - Formulaic but entertaining. 

Black-ish - The predictable lamentations about how the show was/is racist prompted me to watch, and it is entertaining enough to keep watching.  It does have some jokes that may make certain people flinch.  I mean, come on, a black doctor making a comment on Martin Luther King Jr not being a real doctor, how can that not be racist?  And who knew Lawrence Fishburne was so good at comedy?

Inside Amy Schumer - Chicks can do vulgar humor, too.  Season two.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - So crass, so funny.  Possibly the greatest sitcom on television now.  I'm on season six.

Wilfred - The best ever sitcom about a mentally ill person.  Season three, with four ready and waiting. 

Archer - I'm on season five, "Archer Vice", which is not as good as prior seasons, but it is still good 'n' raunchy.

Dr Who - Season eight.  Not a fan, but my daughter insists that I watch it with her.  Peter Capaldi makes the show far more bearable than the prior seasons.

How the States Got Their Shapes - Family friendly viewing filled with mildly entertaining bits of trivia.  I've liked host Brian Unger since he was on the original (and better) The Daily Show in the 90s, and he keeps the show moving.

And waiting until next year for season five of Game of Thrones.  No spoilers please!  (The line "All men must die" does leave me in some doubt as to the fate of the human characters.)
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Wakefield

Quote from: sanantonio on April 27, 2015, 07:35:17 AM
If you have Amazon Prime most of these shows are included in Prime Instant Video.  Unless your Internet connection is to slow for streaming.  That's how I watch; I hardly ever watch actual TV anymore.

Me, too.

I rarely turn on the TV and when I do it's to watch Netflix via Apple TV.

I watched the three seasons of Sherlock on Netflix. I also watched via Netflix another excellent BBC series called Luther, starred by Idris Elba, the new James Bond.
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: sanantonio on April 27, 2015, 07:35:17 AM
If you have Amazon Prime most of these shows are included in Prime Instant Video.  Unless your Internet connection is to slow for streaming.  That's how I watch; I hardly ever watch actual TV anymore.

Yes, I DO have Prime; yes, my internet is too slow for streaming.    :'(
I have Direct TV, I get hundreds of channels, I watch about 2 dozen.   :-\
I don't watch much TV anyway, so it hasn't really bothered me, I made a conscious choice to live way out in the countryside, so I make the best of it.  :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Drasko

Currently watching Inspector George Gently, just finished 4th season. It is very good. I love the period setting and characters and plots are quite well written. Slight dislike is that the title character seems to be getting bit too avuncular for my taste as the series progresses, there was some toughness and physicality in first season that I feel is largely gone.

Recently finished the first season of The Knick. Good, it has certain cool, cold air about it. Manages to eschew any trace of sentimentality which often can plague doctor/hospital series.

Also, the first season of Maison Close, French series about denizens of a Parisian fin-de-siecle brothel. Relentlessly grim, don't think I'll be bac for second season.

Can't wait for third season of Ripper Street. Finale of second season was truly epic, tragic actually in a Greek drama kind of way.

Also eagerly waiting for final seasons of Justified and Community.   

Wakefield

Quote from: Todd on April 27, 2015, 07:44:02 AM
I'm more interested in television than movies right now, and I generally prefer comedy to drama. 

Wolf Hall - Well, I'm trying to watch it, but 10:00 PM is just too late to watch full episodes, and I don't have a recording device.  (I'm an OTA and Netflix & Amazon guy, not a cable and DVR guy.)  Slow pace, but quite good from what I have seen.  I'll have to watch all episodes later.

House of Cards - Season three of the US version.  It should be subtitled The Wussification of Frank Underwood.

Breaking Bad - Rewatching.  I'm stuck on season five.  The show does not hold up very well on a second viewing.

Justified - Ready for second season.

The Last Man on Earth - Great stuff.  So glad it was picked up for a second season.  The best broadcast sitcom I know of.

The Middle - Formulaic but entertaining. 

Black-ish - The predictable lamentations about how the show was/is racist prompted me to watch, and it is entertaining enough to keep watching.  It does have some jokes that may make certain people flinch.  I mean, come on, a black doctor making a comment on Martin Luther King Jr not being a real doctor, how can that not be racist?  And who knew Lawrence Fishburne was so good at comedy?

Inside Amy Schumer - Chicks can do vulgar humor, too.  Season two.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - So crass, so funny.  Possibly the greatest sitcom on television now.  I'm on season six.

Wilfred - The best ever sitcom about a mentally ill person.  Season three, with four ready and waiting. 

Archer - I'm on season five, "Archer Vice", which is not as good as prior seasons, but it is still good 'n' raunchy.

Dr Who - Season eight.  Not a fan, but my daughter insists that I watch it with her.  Peter Capaldi makes the show far more bearable than the prior seasons.

How the States Got Their Shapes - Family friendly viewing filled with mildly entertaining bits of trivia.  I've liked host Brian Unger since he was on the original (and better) The Daily Show in the 90s, and he keeps the show moving.

And waiting until next year for season five of Game of Thrones.  No spoilers please!  (The line "All men must die" does leave me in some doubt as to the fate of the human characters.)

As a matter of fact, I think, TV series and streaming content are the principal treat to movies. Today, production values and acting in TV series are better than in many movies.

Two: spoilers are the principal threat to this thread.  ;D

-- Voltaire

Wanderer

I'm quite fond of (airing now or waiting for new seasons):

Game of Thrones.
Modern Family.
Brooklyn Nine Nine.
Mom.
American Horror Story.
House of Cards.
True Detective.
The Americans.
Fargo.
Portlandia.
Penny Dreadful.
Vikings.
Sherlock.

Wolf Hall

I enjoyed this one thoroughly and I'm hearing there's going to be a second season based on the sequel book Bring Up the Bodies The Mirror and the Light.

BBC poised to commission Wolf Hall series two

I thought the first episode was great. I'll probably watch this over the summer.

Jubal Slate

Quote from: Wanderer on April 27, 2015, 08:28:55 AM
I'm quite fond of (airing now or waiting for new seasons):
Game of Thrones.
True Detective.
Fargo.

Nice. :)

Wakefield

Quote from: Wanderer on April 27, 2015, 08:28:55 AM
Game of Thrones.
Modern Family.
Brooklyn Nine Nine.
Mom.
American Horror Story.
House of Cards.
True Detective.
The Americans.
Fargo.
Portlandia.
Penny Dreadful.
Vikings.
Sherlock.

I have watched the highlighted titles.  :)

One month ago I finished True Detective, one of the most nihilistic TV series I have ever watched.

I also judged superb the first season of American Horror Story, but I haven't watched the new seasons.
-- Voltaire

71 dB

They are showing the sixth season of 'Good Wife' in Finland. I have been following this show ever since I accidently discovered it when they were showing the last episodes of season one. This is imo an amazing show suffering from the lamest name in television history.  ::)

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Wakefield

Quote from: sanantonio on April 27, 2015, 08:08:58 AM
I guess you mean "threat" - and I agree.  Movies seem to be going for the special effects, action-adventure genre, aimed at younger audiences, which do not interest me.  There are independent films which come around once in a while.  But generally I think the long form of television series writing can be much more interesting.

Yes, "threat", indeed. Sorry.

I don't know if it's about good quality or not because, as a matter of fact, very excellent movies are released every year. But I think there is something in the very nature of TV series appealing to human spirit: a tale to be continued tomorrow night or the next week or the next season; to share the misadventures of our hero through a long and dangerous road, all of this... as when we were children, as in the One Thousand and One Nights:)
-- Voltaire

NikF

I don't watch a lot of television. However it's not because 'I'm too cool to own a TV' or anything like that. It's more to do with time/interests/priorities. But my partner watches a fair amount, and because there's an age difference between us it means I see shows I might otherwise overlook.

Mad Men - this holds my attention if only for the production values. I can't think of a show in which room ceilings are so clearly visible - and are lit correctly. Also, my girl does the whole 'Zou Bisou Bisou' thing when the mood takes her.

Game of Thrones - that's a terrible wig...you know, the blonde one. The actress isn't unattractive, but she's about as naturally sensuous as Charles Dance on the toilet.

Black Sails - another that my girl enjoys. She has the hots for one of the pirates and always gets all quiet when he's on screen.

Da Vinci's Demons - I don't know if this has been cancelled, but I do recall us watching it.

My own tastes are for such as Seinfeld, Hill St. Blues, Phil Silvers show/Bilko, various Dennis Potter things, and I've been meaning to get a hold of a DVD of the C4 production of Mary Wesley's 'Camomile Lawn' because I'd like to see it again.

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Daverz

Quote from: Gordo on April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM
Tonight, while I dined, I watched a new chapter of the TV series "Orphan Black" (BBC America, 3rd Season), aired yesterday.

I don't think I finished the first season.  Tatiana Maslany is a fabulous actor, but the writing just lost my interest.

Recent watching: 

The Americans, just ending it's 3rd season, continues to amaze.  They start out with a preposterous premise, and knock it out of the park with great writing and acting.

Mad Men.  I keep watching, but I just don't feel much emotional connection to the characters.

Game of Thrones.  It's interesting how much they are diverging from the books now.  A good choice, as the last 2 books have just dawdled for thousands of tedious pages, and GRRM seems to be incapable of moving the story forward.  I have no comments on the fuckability of any of the actors.

Outlander.  A very well done popcorn historical adventure-romance with lots of hot, hot sexytime.

This Week Tonight with John Oliver.  This has to be one of the best journalistic shows on television now, masquerading as a comedy show.

Better Call Saul.  I suppose it won't really resonate unless you've seen Breaking Bad, but this show is just as well done in its own lower-key way, it's not just scraps from the same source.   

Fortitude.  Not sure why I stuck this one out.  Rather dour and needlessly gross, and why are all these people such assholes?  A waste of the considerable talent on hand.

So the best of recent stuff has been The Americans, Better Call Saul, and John Oliver's show.

Less current watching:

Call the Midwife.  You have to have some tolerance for sentimental slop (I swear I'm not crying, my eyes are just irritated).  If it gives you an idea, every other season has an additional Christmas episode.  An undemanding if entertaining time filler.

Looking forward to:

Penny Dreadful, season 2.  The plotting is a mess, but I still find this a pretty fun show. 

Orange Is the New Black, season 3.

Rectify, season 3.

Wakefield

Quote from: Daverz on April 27, 2015, 02:16:39 PM
I don't think I finished the first season.  Tatiana Maslany is a fabulous actor, but the writing just lost my interest.

Yes, I know. It's not everyone's cup of tea.  :)

For instance, I recommended it to my sister, but she only resisted 3 chapters.

Currently, she is watching Resurrection and The Returned, both of them based on the same novel, and she is delighted. 
-- Voltaire

Jubal Slate