What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy Bland

IMHO this work has both strengths than defects.First: Adolfo Celi ( his best televisive  interpretation) was  a double of Alexander VI (see portraits) and the costumes and sets are richly reconstructed,wonderful score by Delerue.Faults:highly imaginative historical reconstruction (tale of the assassination Gandia's Duke it's unlikely) and so the story resembles "Dallas".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S5RvEzn63c&list=RD8S5RvEzn63c&start_radio=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g2aOA9gHuc

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 17, 2020, 07:58:26 AM
I googled Roadkill and supposedly PBS is supposed to be airing it starting November 1st.  I hadn't realized that they would be showing it in the US and so soon!  :)

PD

Every scene shot outside was either raining or wet so I guessed made with the American market in mind. Watched first episode, and it may well improve, but a tad disappointed. Hugh Laurie is a fabulous actor who fills the screen but I think and I hope to be proved wrong, it is all going to be a bit too "woke".
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

I know that the sun shines in the UK (having been there and witnessed it myself).  ;)  ;D

Here:  The Bridge (original Swedish/Danish collaboration).  Excellent Scandi-Noir complete with twists and turns and great, complicated characters.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 21, 2020, 01:53:15 PM
I know that the sun shines in the UK (having been there and witnessed it myself).  ;)  ;D

Here:  The Bridge (original Swedish/Danish collaboration).  Excellent Scandi-Noir complete with twists and turns and great, complicated characters.

PD

We love "The Bridge". Just finished watching series 1 & 2 for the second time. Tack.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on October 22, 2020, 07:36:11 AM
We love "The Bridge". Just finished watching series 1 & 2 for the second time. Tack.
Nice!  Looking forward to watching the second season.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

A new Scandi drama began on BBC4 last night DNA. Danish with English subtitles. Promising, although anything following tedious "Strictly" is going to look good. She hasn't appeared yet, but I was surprised to see the excellent Charlotte Rampling in the cast list. Can she speak Danish?

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on October 25, 2020, 02:27:58 AM
A new Scandi drama began on BBC4 last night DNA. Danish with English subtitles. Promising, although anything following tedious "Strictly" is going to look good. She hasn't appeared yet, but I was surprised to see the excellent Charlotte Rampling in the cast list. Can she speak Danish?
Not certain how I could watch it here.  It didn't come up when I searched for it by name; I did get a whole lot of other programs starting with "DNA" though!  ??? ::)  Think that I saw somewhere about it being a Danish/French program, so perhaps it will be a mixture of the two?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

milk

I wonder if the new season of Fargo is any good. I kind of doubt it.

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 25, 2020, 05:36:23 AM
Not certain how I could watch it here.  It didn't come up when I searched for it by name; I did get a whole lot of other programs starting with "DNA" though!  ??? ::)  Think that I saw somewhere about it being a Danish/French program, so perhaps it will be a mixture of the two?

PD

Yes, I believe Danish/French is correct. As often the case a pan-European production.

George

Quote from: milk on October 25, 2020, 06:37:15 AM
I wonder if the new season of Fargo is any good. I kind of doubt it.

It's excellent!

I saw Roadkill season one this week and enjoyed it. It's good, not great.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SimonNZ

Listening to an interview with Lawrence O'Donnell I learn for the first time that he took a break from working as a consultant on The West Wing to go produce a WW-like political show of his own, staring Josh Brolin as a freshman senator. Apparently an updating of the Jimmy Stewart film Mr Smith Goes To Washington, which I don't think I've ever seen.

Cancelled after one season and seems not to have been released on vhs or dvd, but thankfully all ten episodes are up on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I25MFW40eO4&list=PL31Imi3-yP7W28cXuMlzXb5KAIqQuIpg_

Strange, I listened to every episode-by-episode podcast of TheWestWingWeekly which had multiple interviews with O'Donnell and I'm sure it was never mentioned.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Just finished Season 2 of Bron/Broen/The Bridge....excellent!  Lots of great twists and turns and character development.  Will be watching Season 3 soon.  I did check and found out that there is also a Season 4 on DVD, but I don't believe that I can borrow it from any of my local libraries.

I am wondering whether or not anyone here in the US knows where online I could watch the last season to it?  I didn't see it listed on Britbox, and also don't believe that it's available through Amazon (for streaming)?  Am tempted to also ask my library whether or not they might be able to order a copy of the last DVD (who knows how much ordering of new items they are able to afford during these days and times?).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 28, 2020, 08:23:22 AM
Just finished Season 2 of Bron/Broen/The Bridge....excellent!  Lots of great twists and turns and character development.  Will be watching Season 3 soon.  I did check and found out that there is also a Season 4 on DVD, but I don't believe that I can borrow it from any of my local libraries.

I am wondering whether or not anyone here in the US knows where online I could watch the last season to it?  I didn't see it listed on Britbox, and also don't believe that it's available through Amazon (for streaming)?  Am tempted to also ask my library whether or not they might be able to order a copy of the last DVD (who knows how much ordering of new items they are able to afford during these days and times?).

PD

No doubt you are well aware P that an older Martin has a leading role in "Killing Eve". Saga (also older) turned up in an Australian drama series screened recently.

vandermolen

We are watching 'The Queen's Gambit' on Netflix. An excellent series about an orphan girl who is a chess prodigy and which also deals with the theme of drug addiction. Brilliantly acted with great period (Cold War) setting and very good musical score:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on October 28, 2020, 11:41:27 AM
No doubt you are well aware P that an older Martin has a leading role in "Killing Eve". Saga (also older) turned up in an Australian drama series screened recently.
Irons,

Yes, tak!  I googled to see what other series he was in and noticed that he was in the original version of the Bridge series; some time ago, I had watched either an American or a British version of it (called "The Tunnel") but had lost interest in it.  Very happy that I decided to give the Danish/Swedish one a go!

Do you happen to know what the name of the Australian drama is/was?

Still hunting for season 4 online.  Possibly Hulu or Xfinity has it available online?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 29, 2020, 10:18:31 AM
Irons,

Yes, tak!  I googled to see what other series he was in and noticed that he was in the original version of the Bridge series; some time ago, I had watched either an American or a British version of it (called "The Tunnel") but had lost interest in it.  Very happy that I decided to give the Danish/Swedish one a go!

Do you happen to know what the name of the Australian drama is/was?

Still hunting for season 4 online.  Possibly Hulu or Xfinity has it available online?

PD

Mystery Road, P.

https://www.smh.com.au/culture/tv-and-radio/sofia-helin-swaps-chilly-nordic-noir-for-outback-gothic-mystery-road-20200403-p54gu0.html

Biffo

Murdoch Mysteries - Series 13 (on DVD) - getting progressively soapier but some of the quirkier stories make it worth persevering  with.

Pohjolas Daughter

Thanks Irons.  I tried googling a bit earlier; it looks like she doesn't appear 'til the second season?

As an aside, I found some fun and entertaining interviews with her and Kim Bodnia...one was by a BBC host and the other was at Nordicom.  There was also this which I got a kick out of and I think that you might enjoy it too ;Dhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ4bMOU23D0

PD

Pohjolas Daughter