What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 24, 2021, 08:41:22 AM
And the very attractive Hope Lange8)  Dave

Not to be confused with Artie Lange.  :D
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SonicMan46

Quote from: George on February 25, 2021, 08:48:26 AM
Not to be confused with Artie Lange.  :D

Not a problem at all, George:laugh:  Dave

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 24, 2021, 08:41:22 AM
And the very attractive Hope Lange8)  Dave
Yes, she was very beautiful...and I've been enjoying her acting skills too.  ;)

And what about the talented Edward Mulhare?  :)

And must admit that I've developed a soft spot for Scruffy.  :D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

milk

Quote from: North Star on April 26, 2015, 10:23:28 PM
I have really only glimpsed at Downton Abbey, as the soapiness appeared too great for Dame Maggie's presence to be able to negate it.
For dramas, there's a difference between shows like Downton Abbey that spin around looking for soapy intrigues to keep the audience interested and great shows that seem to have an organic story that adds up to something greater. I find the latter is done less and less these days. I end up watching more documentaries or reruns of Seinfeld.

Stürmisch Bewegt

I am really enjoying What We Do in the Shadows, a comedy series about a house of vampires, inc. an hysterically hilarious energy vampire.  You can see him in action, anthologized here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUoxjn_V_HU
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: milk on February 25, 2021, 02:42:42 PM
For dramas, there's a difference between shows like Downton Abbey that spin around looking for soapy intrigues to keep the audience interested and great shows that seem to have an organic story that adds up to something greater. I find the latter is done less and less these days. I end up watching more documentaries or reruns of Seinfeld.
You mean "a show about nothing"?  ;) ;D
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: Stürmisch Bewegt on February 25, 2021, 03:19:32 PM
I am really enjoying What We Do in the Shadows, a comedy series about a house of vampires, inc. an hysterically hilarious energy vampire.  You can see him in action, anthologized here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUoxjn_V_HU

That was one of my favorite shows last year!!  I also liked the movie.

Stürmisch Bewegt

Quote from: DavidW on February 26, 2021, 05:07:41 AM
That was one of my favorite shows last year!!  I also liked the movie.

The second season is as worthy as the first if you haven't seen that yet.  They have just begun filming the third season, so we've something to look forward to!  Did you notice the song about herb gathering, appended at the credit sequence for the Witches episode?  It's quite wonderful (and written by the actor who plays Laszlo, also a musician): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuY_0TEVdFE
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Stürmisch Bewegt on February 25, 2021, 03:19:32 PM
I am really enjoying What We Do in the Shadows, a comedy series about a house of vampires, inc. an hysterically hilarious energy vampire.

A favorite show of the Rock household. Loved how they defeated the werewolves  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Todd

The fifth season of Billions.  Cut short by Covid, which gets a mention in the last episode, the writers appear to have run out of things to write.  There's a new decabillionaire in the mix (Corey Stoll) who's more or less just bland and boring, and some of the dialogue is just awful.  There are a few very good scenes scattered throughout the season, but there are no good episodes.  A pity.  Perhaps Showtime, or some other content delivery organization, could be persuaded to fund a multi-episode documentary about Steven Cohen.  Now that could never be anything but good.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Stürmisch Bewegt

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 27, 2021, 08:24:16 AM
A favorite show of the Rock household. Loved how they defeated the werewolves  ;D

Sarge

Our household, too! We've already adapted some of the dialog to suit our own daily life (this happened with Red Dwarf, as well), but the taste for blood has so far eluded us (kinda problematic in any case as we're vegetarians...) 

Fëanor

What!?!  Downton Abbey soap opera?  Heck, of course it's soap opera.  But like I tell my son, good movies and series can made in any genre.  We should avoid literary condescension based on genre.  Downton Abbey is superior soap opera

DavidW

I find the latter is done less and less these days.

No you're just looking in the wrong places.

milk

Quote from: Fëanor on February 28, 2021, 04:53:07 AM
What!?!  Downton Abbey soap opera?  Heck, of course it's soap opera.  But like I tell my son, good movies and series can made in any genre.  We should avoid literary condescension based on genre.  Downton Abbey is superior soap opera
I had a hard time with that show. It's seemed like it was written week to week like a soap. The rivalries and deep dark secrets didn't serve enough of a purpose to me.
But it's hard to write a great show I guess. I think shows like Mad Men and Deadwood are superior because they seem like they had more literary elements and more vision. The psychology of Don Draper, for example, was complex and nuanced. His deep dark secret was the crux of the show, not merely a plot point to throw away. I think those two I mentioned had a larger vision and purpose. I don't know what the point of Downton Abby was really.

arpeggio

I have very mundane tastes when it comes to TV.

I enjoy watching the old Perry Mason.

Big fan of Judge Judy.

NCIS: New Orleans is becoming my favorite of that franchise.

Other series I watch on a regular basis are Law & Order SVU and Bull.

On Netflix I have been watching their series on the Roman Emperors.

Some sci fi series I have been watching are Picard, Resident Alien and HBO's Watchman.

Of course the NHL and the Olympic Channel.  It is great to see alpine skiing occurs more frequently than once every four years.  I am really impressed with the ladies in the biathlon, alpine skiing and bobsledding.  One really has to be crazy to do the luge or skeleton.

Brahmsian

Quote from: arpeggio on March 05, 2021, 06:40:39 AM

Of course the NHL

Do you have a favourite team? Mine, being in Winnipeg, is the Jets. I was so disappointed when Patrik Laine was traded to Columbus.  :'(

However, it may actually be a good trade for both teams.

SonicMan46

Well, we're on our last 'suspended' season of Doc Martin, so decided to start a new series - we are BIG fans of NCIS w/ Mark Harmon (and may just re-watch from the beginning?), but wanted to give one of the other take-off NCIS series a try - having been to New Orleans many times - chose to buy the first season ($14 purchase for 23 episodes on Amazon Prime) of NCIS: New Orleans - enjoying the NOLA atmosphere, but not getting into the characters' personalities as easily (vs. original NCIS); plus, the last half seasons are $30 - a later decision to continue to the next season or go back to the first NCIS?  Dave :)

George

Incredible that a show this good can fly under the radar.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 04, 2021, 08:15:29 AM
Loved that series when on TV in the early 70s - much later I bought the DVD box set, watched and then sent to my son who was just a babe when the show first appeared.  Dave :)

I'm having frequent trouble with the DVDs, alas!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 07, 2021, 01:44:09 PM
Sweet!  I'm having the odd problem with a DVD here and there.

Why, I'm even repeating myself....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot