What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drogulus

On Prime I've been watching Murder In..., a series of murder mysteries each set in a different location in France. The scenery is beautiful, and some of the police are beautiful, too.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

SimonNZ

Second viewing.

It seems more poorly written this time around. Their motives just the sketchiest caricature, and all of the dialogue and acting a little over the top.

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 25, 2021, 06:12:11 AM
A 3-part BBC documentary called Football's Darkest Secret broadcast this week, covering the abuse of kids in youth teams over several decades in English football clubs, the cover ups, the breaking out of the stories years later and the rolling effect thereafter. It is a gruelling, sickening, harrowing watch seeing those now adults talking bluntly and courageously about having to deal with their burden everyday since the abuse started. I can't remember a documentary that kicked me in the guts like that in a long time. A very hard watch but one worthy of your time.

A review from the Guardian:
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/mar/22/footballs-darkest-secret-review-spare-and-unrelenting

The link to the BBC player :
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000ths4

For some reason, only episodes 1 & 3 are made available on catch-up. I saw No.1 earlier in the week Live and No.3 today on catch up. No idea why No.2 is not there (assuming some lawyers might have got involved and requested a suspension of the catch up version ?). I will have to keep an eye out when it returns. Episodes 1 & 3 are still definitely worth watching as they are.
I watched Part 1 and didn't realise there was a part 2 and 3. A very sad, depressing documentary, focusing on the corruption and destruction of the lives of innocent young football hopefuls.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Papy Oli

Quote from: vandermolen on March 27, 2021, 01:35:26 PM
I watched Part 1 and didn't realise there was a part 2 and 3. A very sad, depressing documentary, focusing on the corruption and destruction of the lives of innocent young football hopefuls.

Jeffrey,
They've put the 2nd episode back up on i-player yesterday, apparently after some edits since the broadcast. This 2nd episode is utterly heartbreaking but a compelling watch.
Olivier

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 27, 2021, 03:31:28 PM
Jeffrey,
They've put the 2nd episode back up on i-player yesterday, apparently after some edits since the broadcast. This 2nd episode is utterly heartbreaking but a compelling watch.
Cheers Olivier - thank you.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

George

Superstore series finale. Very sad to see it go.  :(
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Daverz

Quote from: Fëanor on March 27, 2021, 05:30:36 AM

Loved the whole show.  It was, of course, fantasy, so I find it amusing that a petite woman kicking ass was among the things that bothered you. 

Roy Bland

George

Stürmisch Bewegt

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 20, 2021, 01:35:21 PM
Are you talking about the original series or the new one?

I remember reading the books years ago...encouraged by an animal-crazy person who ended up going to vet school.  ;)  Loved them!
PD

Old series, '78-80. Just started the succeeding one done ten years later, '88-90 (Carol Drinkwater, playing Helen, JAmes' wife, left and was replaced by a less interesting actor - certainly one without Drinkwater's flair - and the writers seem not to be interested in her.  Still a lot of fun. Will eventually view the new one. 
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

drogulus

I just started Valley Of Tears, an Israeli series about the Yom Kippur War (Oct. '73). So far it's riveting.

An Epic Israeli TV Drama Exposes War Wounds Old and New
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Fëanor

Quote from: Daverz on March 28, 2021, 11:53:17 AM
Loved the whole show  {The Americans}.  It was, of course, fantasy, so I find it amusing that a petite woman kicking ass was among the things that bothered you.

Apparently lots of people like to show which was cleverly intriguing and got high a IMDB rating.  My personal sensibilities perhaps aren't mainstream.

The show is presented as serious though, of course, there are huge improbabilities, not the least that a single couple cut pull off so many heinous deeds for so long without detection.  But again, it was the total lack of empathy I could muster for the chief protagonists that overwhelmed me by the end of season 3.  I can only watch fanatics doing detestable things for so long without revulsion;  (I'd better avoid the evening news).

DavidW

Quote from: Fëanor on March 29, 2021, 07:54:54 AM
I can only watch fanatics doing detestable things for so long without revulsion;  (I'd better avoid the evening news).

I guess I shouldn't recommend Dexter to you then!

Fëanor

Quote from: DavidW on March 29, 2021, 09:10:17 AM
I guess I shouldn't recommend Dexter to you then!

Have seen the whole series and mildly enjoyed it.  Maybe the difference was that Dexter was always portrayed as a compulsive psychopath who, by intention, victimized only bad people, plus fantasy element was more up-front than for The Americans.

milk

Quote from: George on March 28, 2021, 07:44:43 PM

I wonder how the last season of this was. I never got around to it and the reviews were mixed.

George

Quote from: milk on March 31, 2021, 05:14:53 AM
I wonder how the last season of this was. I never got around to it and the reviews were mixed.

It was slower than previous seasons, so watching it a week at a time didn't do it any favors. I plan to watch it again when I finish the second season (which I think the best of the four.)

Also, a fifth season was recently confirmed by the creator.

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 27, 2021, 03:31:28 PM
Jeffrey,
I watched it this evening Olivier - heartbreaking, as you suggest, but compelling viewing.

Papy Oli

Quote from: vandermolen on March 31, 2021, 02:53:09 PM
I watched it this evening Olivier - heartbreaking, as you suggest, but compelling viewing.

BBC did broadcast another powerful documentary this week, Finding Jack Charlton. Putting in parallel his and people's memories of his coaching of the Irish national team against his growing dementia settling in his latter years. Another emotional one. Worth the hour and a half of your time. 
Olivier

SimonNZ

The second semi-final of the current University Challenge.

That was brutal: 270-50, and not that its saying much but the lowest number of questions I was able to answer or guess myself.

Final next week

(why is Magdalene College pronounced "maudlin"?)

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 31, 2021, 03:06:03 PM
BBC did broadcast another powerful documentary this week, Finding Jack Charlton. Putting in parallel his and people's memories of his coaching of the Irish national team against his growing dementia settling in his latter years. Another emotional one. Worth the hour and a half of your time.
Thanks Olivier - I noticed that was on and will be watching in due course. I always thought that Jack seemed a rather more likeable individual that Bobby.