What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

Resuming The Crown from Series 3 after a long hiatus. Up to Episode 4 so far.

Constantly good and gripping. There isn't really a weak character or performer overall but I already miss Tommy Lascelles !  8)

Olivier

Irons

Quote from: Papy Oli on July 26, 2021, 12:44:48 PM
Resuming The Crown from Series 3 after a long hiatus. Up to Episode 4 so far.

Constantly good and gripping. There isn't really a weak character or performer overall but I already miss Tommy Lascelles !  8)

Just started series 1, Olivier. Thought the portrayal of Edward VIII good. Aware accuracy in the series has to be taken with a pinch of salt but I am now more sympathetic towards Edward and his abdication.   
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

The new erato

Ken Burns' Hemingway documentary in 6 instalments.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Irons on July 27, 2021, 03:40:28 AM
Just started series 1, Olivier. Thought the portrayal of Edward VIII good. Aware accuracy in the series has to be taken with a pinch of salt but I am now more sympathetic towards Edward and his abdication.

Hope you'll enjoy it throughout, Lol. Just seen Charles becoming Prince of Wales and now starting dating Camilla. It is sometimes hard to keep in mind the split drama/reality but regardless, it just draws you in and we still learn about particular events or it makes us curious to look them up subsequently.

The actor playing Charles is mimicking him to a tee. Top stuff.
Olivier

drogulus

I'm watching Katla, the Icelandic series. My teammate calls these country Icelanders "squeegee people". She developed this view as a result of watching Trapped, which I believe was created by some of the same people as Katla. I don't know what "squeegee" is but it's probably very good.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Fëanor

Quote from: drogulus on July 27, 2021, 10:59:53 AM
     I'm watching Katla, the Icelandic series. My teammate calls these country Icelanders "squeegee people". She developed this view as a result of watching Trapped, which I believe was created by some of the same people as Katla. I don't know what "squeegee" is but it's probably very good.

I'm watching Katla too and enjoying it.  The incarnate simulacrums seem benign like the people they innocently mimic, not like the usual fantasy/sci-fi monsters.  What intrigues is the bewildered and suspicious reactions of people reacting to these uncanny apparitions.

André

Oooooh, that's interesting ! Trapped was a big hit for me, one of the best 'noir' series I've seen. If Katla is half as good it'll still be worth watching. On my viewlist it goes !  :)

JBS

Not watched either series so I don't know why she applies the term, but this is a squeegee.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

André

Quote from: JBS on July 27, 2021, 06:16:26 PM
Not watched either series so I don't know why she applies the term, but this is a squeegee.

She was referring to squeegee people, commonly known as squeegees.

JBS

Quote from: André on July 27, 2021, 06:45:31 PM

Is that the connection? I am more bemused than I was before.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

André

drogulus

Quote from: André on July 27, 2021, 06:45:31 PM

It's not that. It's more like elfin, but not exactly.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

George

Not nearly as good as prior seasons, but I'm in it for the long haul. Walton Goggins is as amazing as he always is and the guy who plays Dewey Crowe is funny as all hell.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

DavidW

Quote from: André on July 27, 2021, 03:03:48 PM
Oooooh, that's interesting ! Trapped was a big hit for me, one of the best 'noir' series I've seen. If Katla is half as good it'll still be worth watching. On my viewlist it goes !  :)

It is completely different btw.  Katla is more of a dark fantasy.  I posted about it not long ago on this thread.  I really liked it, but it's not for everyone and it is not AT ALL like Trapped.

SonicMan46

Fargo - Second Season - new cast; short synopsis below, more HERE - really enjoyed the first season, so purchased the second one and about half way through the 10 episodes, and liking!  Dave :)

QuoteThe second season of Fargo, an American anthology black comedy–crime drama television series created by Noah Hawley, premiered on October 12, 2015, on the basic cable network FX. Its principal cast is Kirsten Dunst, Patrick Wilson, Jesse Plemons, Jean Smart, and Ted Danson.

André

Quote from: DavidW on July 28, 2021, 07:38:07 AM
It is completely different btw.  Katla is more of a dark fantasy.  I posted about it not long ago on this thread.  I really liked it, but it's not for everyone and it is not AT ALL like Trapped.

Thanks, David. I'll check your post. I've watched 3 episodes of Katla so far. Kinda weird indeed, but eminently watchable.  :)

DavidW

Quote from: André on July 28, 2021, 09:48:48 AM
Thanks, David. I'll check your post. I've watched 3 episodes of Katla so far. Kinda weird indeed, but eminently watchable.  :)

I hope you like it.  I really liked it myself. 

SimonNZ

I had started this before and stopped after one episode because it looked as though it was going to play fast and loose with the historical record and because some of the casting choices were jarring.

But I'm glad I persevered this time and ended feeling it was excellent.

George

My second time through the series. I'm up to the 5th episode of the 3rd season. So far, Spader's character has already made reference to the 9th step in AA in two separate episodes. I find this particularly funny, as he was on the 9th step in that Seinfeld episode he was in. I figure the writers have left this as an Easter egg. My girlfriend and I enjoy the show, despite its flaws. Spader is a joy to watch here. He visibly enjoys the role.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

André

Quote from: DavidW on July 29, 2021, 04:45:39 AM
I hope you like it.  I really liked it myself.

Well, I did !  :)

Hard to watch an episode without wanting to see the next right away. Very interesting on different levels - psychological, scientific (heavily fictional but still captivating) and very well acted. Some of the faces were familiar from other icelandic series I've watched, and very good they are.