What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iota

Fargo, Season 4.

Consistently excellent so far, very impressed!

Papy Oli

Quote from: Papy Oli on August 18, 2021, 07:28:00 AM
The Bridge (Season 1).

I had not seen any of those acclaimed Scandi thriller series like The Bridge, Borgen or The Killing yet.

It was high time to remedy to this and I am glad I did.

Very good.

And Season 2 binged and dusted too. As good as. Very tough last episode.

Tack / Tak !!
Olivier

Irons

Quote from: Papy Oli on August 26, 2021, 07:28:55 AM
And Season 2 binged and dusted too. As good as. Very tough last episode.

Tack / Tak !!

Martin and Saga have a great dynamic - will they, or won't they. ;)
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Irons on August 26, 2021, 07:47:55 AM
Martin and Saga have a great dynamic - will they, or won't they. ;)

Kim Bodnia is the main reason I picked The Bridge first as I absolutely loved his character of Konstantin in Killing Eve.

I liked the characters' evolutions over those 2 series, Martin starting constantly bewildered (his facial expressions are top notch) by Saga's behaviour up to understanding/getting through to her. That was a great storyline in parallel to the crime threads themselves. I also liked the underlying tension caused by the arrival of Pernille in Season 2.
Olivier

The new erato

The german Weissensee series has been one of my strongest TV experiences this summer. In a lighter vein, I follow Ted Lasso. Will be driving across Broen in some days time, I'm currently in Germany.

George

Quote from: Papy Oli on August 26, 2021, 08:10:24 AM
Kim Bodnia is the main reason I picked The Bridge first as I absolutely loved his character of Konstantin in Killing Eve.

Since I couldn't agree more with the second half of your post, I should probably check out The Bridge.

I have been gleefully enjoying season one of Boston Legal for the first time.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Irons

Quote from: Papy Oli on August 26, 2021, 08:10:24 AM

I liked the characters' evolutions over those 2 series, Martin starting constantly bewildered (his facial expressions are top notch) by Saga's behaviour up to understanding/getting through to her. That was a great storyline in parallel to the crime threads themselves. I also liked the underlying tension caused by the arrival of Pernille in Season 2.

I find Saga one of the most interesting characters portrayed on television. She has a form of autism which leads to strange interaction with others at times. As well as leading to funny situations at times it does help in my view to a better understanding of the condition. Martin grew to work out what made Saga tick and in the process fell for her. The way this is played out during the whole series is very well done. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Irons on August 27, 2021, 07:34:08 AM
I find Saga one of the most interesting characters portrayed on television. She has a form of autism which leads to strange interaction with others at times. As well as leading to funny situations at times it does help in my view to a better understanding of the condition. Martin grew to work out what made Saga tick and in the process fell for her. The way this is played out during the whole series is very well done.

I have to agree with your view on that character. It offers a full range of reactions with her counterparts.

I'll take a break from that series for a bit but I am intrigued to see how it moves on in Series 3, given season 2's ending. Have you seen S3 & S4 yet ? Is the general level maintained ?

We have Baptiste Season 2 on the go at the minute. We struggled to get to the end of episode 2 so far. It is a real drag and something feels really off compared to season 1. Very underwhelming so far.
Olivier

Pohjolas Daughter

Reminds me that I don't believe that Season 4 of Bron was yet available on DVD to me.  Will have to check back in on that!  :)

Oh, just been watching some more episodes of Vera; great program!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Undersea

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 15, 2021, 03:35:37 AM
I really enjoyed that series.  Hope that you like the rest of the DVDs.  :)

PD

Thanks- it's great so far... :)
I'd like to be
Under the sea
In an octopus' garden
In the shade

- Ringo Starr

Pohjolas Daughter

Watched the first episode of Maigret (the series from the early 1990's with Michael Gambon) entitled "The Patience of Maigret".  Very enjoyable.  Loved the sense of humor at times too.  In one scene, Maigret is in a bar asking some questions of the new owner with the bartender in the background.  You can tell that the owner is uncomfortable and is trying to avoid answering the questions; however, the barkeep keeps on chiming in with the answers whilst continually getting dirty looks from his employer!  :laugh:  Good plots too.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Irons

Quote from: Papy Oli on August 27, 2021, 08:07:34 AM
I have to agree with your view on that character. It offers a full range of reactions with her counterparts.

I'll take a break from that series for a bit but I am intrigued to see how it moves on in Series 3, given season 2's ending. Have you seen S3 & S4 yet ? Is the general level maintained ?

We have Baptiste Season 2 on the go at the minute. We struggled to get to the end of episode 2 so far. It is a real drag and something feels really off compared to season 1. Very underwhelming so far.

Yes, Baptiste was disappointing. We didn't bother with the final episode.

Watched the lot (The Bridge), Olivier. I would say Series 1 & 4 are the best. The ending leaves you in little doubt there will not be a 5th series.

Being French I'm in no doubt preaching to the converted but for us Spiral is if not as good, not far behind.

drogulus

Quote from: Irons on August 29, 2021, 12:55:07 AM

Being French I'm in no doubt preaching to the converted but for us Spiral is if not as good, not far behind.

I'm a charter member of the Judge Roban fan club.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Irons

Quote from: drogulus on September 02, 2021, 11:40:38 AM
     I'm a charter member of the Judge Roban fan club.

Sadly Judge Roban departs to be replaced by Judge Bourdien who although easy on the eye is not so interesting.

SimonNZ

Starting yet another go around of this. Usually I skip season one which I find the weakest of the seven, the most dated as well as being the most sentimental and rose-tinted. But I'm doing it this time...and largely reminding myself again why I usually skip it.

Edit: of course as soon as I say that I watch In Excelsis Deo which is a truly great episode, and the ones following are better. So I should say it's the first half of season one that is problematic.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SimonNZ on September 04, 2021, 07:07:29 PM

Starting yet another go around of this. Usually I skip season one which I find the weakest of the seven, the most dated as well as being the most sentimental and rose-tinted. But I'm doing it this time...and largely reminding myself again why I usually skip it.

Edit: of course as soon as I say that I watch In Excelsis Deo which is a truly great episode, and the ones following are better. So I should say it's the first half of season one that is problematic.
I really enjoyed that show.  And needless to say, there were a lot of people wishing that we could have had Jed Bartlet for president!  ;D  Interesting to see that it's popular outside of the US with, I'm guessing, a non-American?

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

SimonNZ

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 05, 2021, 04:42:13 AM
I really enjoyed that show.  And needless to say, there were a lot of people wishing that we could have had Jed Bartlet for president!  ;D  Interesting to see that it's popular outside of the US with, I'm guessing, a non-American?

PD

I'd be wishing for President Santos, myself. A large part of the reason they're on the back foot and unsuccessful for most of WW - an aspect of the show I find particularly interesting - stem from Bartlet's own personality.

Todd

Your Honor.  Walter White moonlights as a judge who adheres to the very highest moral and ethical standards.  His son then does a Very Bad Thing.  Mr White then begins to engage in the shadiest of behavior to protect his son from severe legal and extralegal consequences.  The plot really doesn't work, with some of the devices and twists coming off as the most ham-fisted type.  The production and look and acting is more or less high grade, but it can't save the show overall.  Bryan Cranston, it turns out, shot his wad playing Walter White and sort of recycles his shtick.  Michael Stuhlbarg, on the other hand, more or less ends up the reason to watch all ten episodes.  One hopes this is truly a mini-series, or whatever they are called now.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SimonNZ on September 05, 2021, 01:48:04 PM
I'd be wishing for President Santos, myself. A large part of the reason they're on the back foot and unsuccessful for most of WW - an aspect of the show I find particularly interesting - stem from Bartlet's own personality.
I'd forgotten about the character of Pres. Santos.  Looking at the run dates for the show, it's been at least 15 years since I've watched it---presuming that I watched all of the episodes (which I suspect that I missed at least some of them.  I can't even remember the ending of the final season!).  ::)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter