What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on October 18, 2021, 12:26:33 PM
I've been enjoying this series as well. Rory Kinnear is terrific as the British fascist leader Colin Jordan as is Eddie Marsan as a Jewish cab driver resistance leader.

Kinnear makes your skin crawl. Some acting achievement.

The first series of Guilt was brilliant, black humour at its finest. First two episodes of the second series, which I was looking forward to, are a disappointment. A mish-mash which is difficult to follow and in two minds to give up on it. Shame.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Papy Oli

Quote from: vandermolen on October 18, 2021, 12:26:33 PM
I've been enjoying this series as well. Rory Kinnear is terrific as the British fascist leader Colin Jordan as is Eddie Marsan as a Jewish cab driver resistance leader.

Lol was praising this one too, I need to bump it up the watch list.

Quote from: Irons on October 19, 2021, 12:52:26 AM
The first series of Guilt was brilliant, black humour at its finest. First two episodes of the second series, which I was looking forward to, are a disappointment. A mish-mash which is difficult to follow and in two minds to give up on it. Shame.

Oh no, that's not what I wanted to read. We re-watched the last episode of season 1 over the weekend to remind ourselves of the plot ending with the intention of diving into season 2. Series 1 was perfect in so many ways. A hidden gem. It would have been hard to beat or equal but that sounds ominous.
Olivier

milk

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 16, 2021, 01:07:41 PM
Hi milk,

To resize an image, after you've clicked the button above.  So add(type) the following into the first box:  [img width=400] or 500, for example...depending upon how big you want it to be.  And copy your image, as normal, between the two [img].

PD

p.s.  Note:  There's a space between "img" and "width" but no spaces between "width, = nor the size which in this case is 400.
Thanks!

Irons

Quote from: Papy Oli on October 19, 2021, 01:30:21 AM
Lol was praising this one too, I need to bump it up the watch list.

Oh no, that's not what I wanted to read. We re-watched the last episode of season 1 over the weekend to remind ourselves of the plot ending with the intention of diving into season 2. Series 1 was perfect in so many ways. A hidden gem. It would have been hard to beat or equal but that sounds ominous.

Don't let me put you off, Olivier. Old dumb nuts here in leafy Surrey could not make head or tails of it. Doesn't mean that you will not too.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Irons on October 19, 2021, 07:07:17 AM
Don't let me put you off, Olivier. Old dumb nuts here in leafy Surrey could not make head or tails of it. Doesn't mean that you will not too.

Ha, I'll see what this old-ish dumb nut here can make of it  ;D
Olivier

George

I just saw episode one of season 2 of Guilt after seeing all of S1 (for the second time) over the last few days. I enjoyed it, though not as much as S1 episodes.

A few things to keep in mind:

1. The Roy Lynch character has been recast. I missed that and it led to some confusion. I only found out after reading a review after.
2. Jake is not coming back, so the music aspect that I loved from S1 will likely be gone.
3. Jake not coming back means the "heart" of the series is missing, so it will be interesting to see how S2 feels as a result.
4. There seems to be less humor so far in S2 compared to S1, I am hoping this changes. 
5. Thankfully, Kenny is back.

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Papy Oli

Quote from: George on October 19, 2021, 09:12:10 AM
I just saw episode one of season 2 of Guilt after seeing all of S1 (for the second time) over the last few days. I enjoyed it, though not as much as S1 episodes.

1. The Roy Lynch character has been recast. I missed that and it led to some confusion. I only found out after reading a review after.
2. Jake is not coming back, so the music aspect that I loved from S1 will likely be gone.
3. Jake not coming back means the "heart" of the series is missing, so it will be interesting to see how S2 feels as a result.
4. There seems to be less humor so far in S2 compared to S1, I am hoping this changes. 

Thank you for the info and heads-up, George.
Olivier

George

Todd

Nine Perfect Strangers.  A Hulu prestige mini-series, with a star-studded cast headed by Nicole Kidman.  Based on a novel I did not and will not read, it covers the travails of mostly self-indulgent wealthy folks who escape to a wellness center and then receive experimental hallucinogenic treatments.  A bland premise is made more real by having the very generous host – Kidman, donning a feeble Russian (?) accent – offer free therapy to a family.  And there's another guest with a secret, too.  The show manages to basically squander Michael Shannon, though he has a couple good scenes.  The best bits involve Melissa McCarthy and Bobby Cannavale, who obviously enjoy working together.  The show boasts high-end production values but ultimately it's just kind of there. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

bhodges

Watching a short, 5-episode series...the World Series! Rooting for the Astros, because my brother likes them, but if the Braves win, my father (who left us a few years ago) will be very happy, too.

--Bruce

George

Karl Henning

I've started my second go through Star Trek: The Next Generation.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Papy Oli

Quote from: Irons on October 19, 2021, 12:52:26 AM

Quote from: George on October 19, 2021, 09:12:10 AM

We finally watched the 2nd series of GUILT this week.
Definitely a different atmosphere to Season 1, much much tenser throughout, less humour indeed but still a very good acerbic touch and overall a great writing and dialogues. Yes, a lot of different threads to keep up with from the off but the way they all come together, with some good twists, in the final episode, was enjoyable.
Olivier

George

VonStupp

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 27, 2021, 07:14:26 PM
I've started my second go through Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Engage...

I have seen these so many times, yet I never tire of it. When was your first go-around?

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on October 31, 2021, 10:14:00 AM
Engage...

I have seen these so many times, yet I never tire of it. When was your first go-around?

VS

Maybe 2-3 years ago. I was late to the party 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

VonStupp

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 31, 2021, 12:31:59 PM
Maybe 2-3 years ago. I was late to the party 8)

Better late than never!  :)

Don't know if you caught it, but the Star Trek: Picard series that came out last year is a different beast, yet has enough fan service for those who have seen TNG and the movies. Moreso, it is a poignant postcard to an octogenarian Patrick Stewart returning to that role decades later.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Mirror Image

I've been watching reruns of 3rd Rock from the Sun. What a great show! I forgot just how funny it was --- John Lithgow is hilarious.

mahler10th

24 Hours in Police Custody (UK TV Reality)
Sometimes disturbing.  Always riveting.

milk

There are less laughs here but he's still a master comedian. I think it's Seinfeld who recently said that all comedy is specific and there's no better example than Chapelle. He knows exactly where to put each word, each pause, each emphasis. It's controversial even to comment on this but, anyway, it's provocative to say the least. It's worth trying to understand what he's saying. This is risky stuff and risky for the audience too. That's what makes it interesting and even fun - if one takes in stride.