What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

For the Columbo fans on the board: just noticed an album by pianist Ruth Slenczynska (recently subject of discussion here for her Eloquence box set and new Decca encore album) on display:

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on May 15, 2022, 06:12:00 AM
For the Columbo fans on the board: just noticed an album by pianist Ruth Slenczynska (recently subject of discussion here for her Eloquence box set and new Decca encore album) on display:

(* chortle *)

Count on Theodore Bikel to listen to the best!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

TD

A tip of the hat to our LKB:

Thriller (1960-62)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

George

Zach Galifianakis has had a really long career.   ;)
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

George

Papy Oli

Series 1 of Black Spot (Zone Blanche) on Netflix.

Atmospheric dark crime drama set in a remote French village and its mysterious forest. Each episode is a standalone crime story, with an overarching crime story through the series. A French "Hinterland" of sorts, in woods.

Pretty good acting overall, gripping mood throughout and yet, something is missing. Some episodes feel a bit "hollow"... A shame really.

Not sure yet if I will carry on with season 2.

Olivier

Irons

Quote from: Papy Oli on May 27, 2022, 02:17:02 AM
Series 1 of Black Spot (Zone Blanche) on Netflix.

Atmospheric dark crime drama set in a remote French village and its mysterious forest. Each episode is a standalone crime story, with an overarching crime story through the series. A French "Hinterland" of sorts, in woods.

Pretty good acting overall, gripping mood throughout and yet, something is missing. Some episodes feel a bit "hollow"... A shame really.

Not sure yet if I will carry on with season 2.

For a fleeting moment I thought you had come up with something worth watching, Olivier. I'm relying on you, don't you know. :D

Out of desperation we viewed "A British Horror Story". Depressing beyond words that such an evil person, Jimmy Saville, had carte blanche to abuse for decades.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Irons on May 27, 2022, 07:36:14 AM
For a fleeting moment I thought you had come up with something worth watching, Olivier. I'm relying on you, don't you know. :D

Out of desperation we viewed "A British Horror Story". Depressing beyond words that such an evil person, Jimmy Saville, had carte blanche to abuse for decades.

Hi Lol,
Black Spot is not bad, it remains worth a punt. Maybe because I have only finished Ozark only recently, it might have suffered as a direct follow-up.

I'd recommend Hinterland first though, if you haven't watched this one yet.     
Olivier

Irons

Quote from: Papy Oli on May 27, 2022, 09:12:44 AM
Hi Lol,
Black Spot is not bad, it remains worth a punt. Maybe because I have only finished Ozark only recently, it might have suffered as a direct follow-up.

I'd recommend Hinterland first though, if you haven't watched this one yet.     

Watched first two episodes of Ozark. Very well done but a bit "Breaking Bad" without the laughs. A lot of violence involving guns which after the terrible events in Texas this week not good.

Will take a look at Hinterland, thanks.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Irons on May 28, 2022, 12:52:12 AM
Watched first two episodes of Ozark. Very well done but a bit "Breaking Bad" without the laughs. A lot of violence involving guns which after the terrible events in Texas this week not good.

Will take a look at Hinterland, thanks.

Fair point, Lol. Hope you'll find Hinterland more to your liking.

I thought I had posted about it a couple of weeks back but we also recently watched "The Thief, The Wife and the Canoe" on ITV about the famous UK case of life insurance scam by a couple in the North East, with the husband faking his death in a canoe accident. Some great acting there. 
Olivier

Roy Bland

George

SimonNZ

Jo498

Can someone identify the turntable?
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Karl Henning

Still traversing Season 1 of Thriller. Last night: Cloris Leachman in a screenplay by the great Chas Beaumont, "Girl with a Secret," which might have served as a Jas Bond subplot.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

drogulus

I watched the first 2 episodes of The Midwich Cukoos, which had previously been made twice on film, the first one very good and the second pretty bad. This series looks to be the best yet. I read the John Wyndham novel in my early teens when I was immersed in the sci fi classics, and Wyndham was one of my favorite authors in the genre.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Karl Henning

Quote from: drogulus on June 07, 2022, 12:09:52 PM
     I watched the first 2 episodes of The Midwich Cukoos, which had previously been made twice on film, the first one very good and the second pretty bad. This series looks to be the best yet. I read the John Wyndham novel in my early teens when I was immersed in the sci fi classics, and Wyndham was one of my favorite authors in the genre.

Wyndham wrote The Day of the Triffids, yes?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

drogulus

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 07, 2022, 12:27:32 PM
Wyndham wrote The Day of the Triffids, yes?

Yes, and that was made into a film and later a series. I have the series but haven't watched it yet.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Roy Bland

SonicMan46

Dr. Oakley - Yukon Vet - National Geographic series streaming on Apple TV; just into the 2nd season - 10th season announced (check link for further information if interested) - Michelle Oakley was born in Indiana and received an undergrad degree in zoology from the University of Michigan, my alma mater - completed her DVM degree in Canada (as in the quote) and lives w/ her husband and 3 daughters in Haines Junction, Yukon (see attached map) - she covers a LOT of territory and treats all kinds of animals.  Dave :)

QuoteDr. Oakley, Yukon Vet is an American television series on Nat Geo Wild. The show premiered 4 April 2014.[2] The show stars Dr. Michelle Oakley and follows her adventures usually around her home base of Haines Junction, Yukon and Haines, Alaska. Dr. Oakley attended the Atlantic Veterinary College in Prince Edward Island, Canada and interned at the Calgary Zoo. (Source)