What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 08, 2022, 08:20:25 PM
Well, it's like taking the WABAC machine to mine own childhood: Dark Shadows.

And as the episodes only run 20 minutes, I find it easy to just let 'em run.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

JBS

Quote from: Daverz on July 03, 2022, 10:39:31 AM
Starring Peter Davison, who may be Dr. Who to some, but will always be Tristan Farnon to me.

Both to me.
He also played the lead in the short lived Campion, so The Last Detective was not his first detective role.
I did, in double checking the name of the series, discover his daughter is married to David Tennant. So in a sense he's his own father-in-law.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SimonNZ

Started a second viewing of this excellent 14-hour series,  first seen on a big set of vhs tapes from the university library when I was an undergraduate.

Iota

Hard not to like Jagger. He's been an icon and continuously in the glare of the public spotlight since the age of seventeen, rumbled through all sorts of controversies, yet his head seems perfectly screwed on. A straight-talking, affable guy with something of a mania for control of Stones business/promotional matters that has no doubt kept them together for sixty years. And in impressive nick for a seventy-six year old.

All four surviving members have their own episode, available on the iPlayer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0018zwp

drogulus

I'm in the middle of Under The Banner Of Heaven, which came from the book by Jon Krakauer about a murder case involving Mormons. Andrew Garfield plays a detective who is a Mormon, as are the victims and possibly the perps. To my surprise, Garfield is very good, which makes me think Scorsese had a trick up his sleeve when in Silence he cast an actor who could so easily portray a pious numbskull.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:126.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/126.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

SimonNZ

Was his character meant to be a numbskull in that?. I just thought Garfield was acting badly (and haven't read the book).

George

Biffo

Murdoch Mysteries - earlier in the week I re-watched the last 3 episodes of Series 14 to refresh my memory. Now started on Series 15 (on DVD).

André

Quote from: Biffo on July 18, 2022, 03:08:47 AM
Murdoch Mysteries - earlier in the week I re-watched the last 3 episodes of Series 14 to refresh my memory. Now started on Series 15 (on DVD).

I didn't know season 15 was in the can ! It's not yet on Netflix, hopefully they'll pick it up soon.

Biffo

quote author=André link=topic=24223.msg1459887#msg1459887 date=1658155059]
I didn't know season 15 was in the can ! It's not yet on Netflix, hopefully they'll pick it up soon.
[/quote]

It has been shown on tv here in the UK but I can't remember which channel. Murdoch has hopped between channels so many times (or seems to have) that I gave up trying to follow it on tv, now I just buy the DVD when it comes out. I pre-ordered the DVD from Amazon UK several weeks ago and it arrived last week.

drogulus

Quote from: SimonNZ on July 17, 2022, 04:35:40 PM
Was his character meant to be a numbskull in that?. I just thought Garfield was acting badly (and haven't read the book).

Yes, the character was vain and ignorant. Some of my negative reaction got attributed to the actor.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:126.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/126.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

milk

Rewatched The Wire w/my wife. Now rewatching Deawood, two of the very best TV shows ever made. Extraordinary entertainment.

Karl Henning

Rod Serling's Night Gallery. Watching afresh, as seasons 1 & 2 have now been upgraded to blu-ray.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SimonNZ

drogulus

Quote from: SimonNZ on July 23, 2022, 06:14:50 PM

From 1975 in 13 episodes.

That's a good one, with a great cast. I've watched it several times over the decades.

Todd

The Terminal List.  A new bang bang shoot 'em up starring Chris Pratt based on the renowned literature of Jack Carr.  Part Commando, part Wizard of Oz, part Wozzeck, and part video game with a new, challenging boss pretty much every episode, Pratt's character, beset by family tragedy and PTSD and real bad memory loss, hunts down baddies, dispatching them neatly and professionally.  Kinda.  But he's a dutiful soldier, so he knows when not to kill, too.  That's very important.  He's a good guy, despite any acts of terrorism he may commit.  Antoine Fuqua was brought in to direct the opening episode and to produce the series (along with Pratt, and others), so the series has a big budget action flick look and feel.  A slick mediocrity. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

drogulus

Now I'm watching Dopesick, which stars Michael Keaton as a doctor in Appalachia caught up in the opioid crisis in the early days when oxycontin was marketed as a less addictive narcotic. That claim was fraudulent from the get go. In reality oxy was just as addictive as the opioid alternatives, and because of how it was marketed doctors were encouraged to prescribe it more freely than they otherwise would, and to double the dose when the patients developed a tolerance.

This is all handled in a way that doesn't disguise the horror of addiction. When the plague spreads to the doctors themselves it gets downright nightmarish.

George

Quote from: drogulus on July 26, 2022, 03:00:04 PM
     Now I'm watching Dopesick, which stars Michael Keaton as a doctor in Appalachia caught up in the opioid crisis in the early days when oxycontin was marketed as a less addictive narcotic. That claim was fraudulent from the get go. In reality oxy was just as addictive as the opioid alternatives, and because of how it was marketed doctors were encouraged to prescribe it more freely than they otherwise would, and to double the dose when the patients developed a tolerance.

This is all handled in a way that doesn't disguise the horror of addiction. When the plague spreads to the doctors themselves it gets downright nightmarish.

A powerful, moving show!

Fëanor

Quote from: Todd on July 26, 2022, 12:57:12 PM

The Terminal List.  A new bang bang shoot 'em up starring Chris Pratt based on the renowned literature of Jack Carr.  Part Commando, part Wizard of Oz, part Wozzeck, and part video game with a new, challenging boss pretty much every episode, Pratt's character, beset by family tragedy and PTSD and real bad memory loss, hunts down baddies, dispatching them neatly and professionally.  Kinda.  But he's a dutiful soldier, so he knows when not to kill, too.  That's very important.  He's a good guy, despite any acts of terrorism he may commit.  Antoine Fuqua was brought in to direct the opening episode and to produce the series (along with Pratt, and others), so the series has a big budget action flick look and feel.  A slick mediocrity.

I watched this too.  There is certainly lots of action and is as well done in that respect as most.  However ultimately it's a formulaic revenge flick, the more vicious on account of our hero's willingness and drive to torture as well as just kill people, albeit all of them guilty.

Formulaic too are the villains:  a cabal of corporate, government, and military profit seekers.  There are the usual twists & turns in our hero's quest to exterminate them.