What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Three episodes last night of the Netflix series The Stranger and it took some willpower not to embark on a fourth which would have taken me well past my bedtime.

More twists and turns then a corkscrew. Highly recommended.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Fëanor

I'm into Season 2 of the well above average character drama, Succession (HBO) -- highly recommended, (IMDB 8.8/10*).

It's about a crusty, 80 y/o media business tycoon who is reluctant to pass on his CEO position to any of his kids (or his son-in-law).  You can't entirely blame him because they are all jerks, idiots, drugheads, sex maniacs, or some combination of the preceding.

The crusty tycoon is played by one of my favourite actors, Brian Cox, without whom the show wouldn't be nearly as good.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Irons on August 04, 2022, 06:12:14 AM
Three episodes last night of the Netflix series The Stranger and it took some willpower not to embark on a fourth which would have taken me well past my bedtime.

More twists and turns then a corkscrew. Highly recommended.

Oh, this one was a cracker, Lol !
Olivier

Irons

Quote from: Papy Oli on August 04, 2022, 06:31:53 AM
Oh, this one was a cracker, Lol !

Isn't it just, Olivier. When a certain character was shot in the knee I was so shocked, embarrassingly I shouted out! I don't think I have ever done such a thing previously. :-[
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Todd

The Old Man.  A mixed bag.  The minuses include use of dream sequences, dual timelines, young actors playing unconvincing younger versions of the main stars from periods when both Jeff Bridges and John Lithgow were already quite famous (and Bill Heck has also played a young Jon Voight), a kinda plot twist that doesn't work at all, and the laughable spectacle of a seventy-year-old tough guy making mincemeat out of young, professionally trained spies and killers.  The plusses basically come down to the acting of Bridges, Lithgow, and Amy Brenneman.  They deliver their lines like champs and they get to faux emote nicely.  Some of the scenes with Bridges and the improbably age defiant Brenneman have such good dialogue and acting that one wishes the series could have just focused on that.  Also, watching, one can't help but notice how Jeff resembles Beau more and more, both physically and vocally, as the years pass.  The show is set up for a second season, though who knows if it happens.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Papy Oli

Quote from: Irons on June 16, 2022, 07:58:13 AM
After a slow start BBC's Sherwood has promise. A murder committed in the present day with strong links to the 1984 miners strike. A bit "Summer Murders" with balls. Not often embarrassed watching TV but a scene in episode two had me squirming, watching you will have no doubt which. Excellent cast headed by David Morrissey.

We are finally getting to Sherwood at our end, we're taking our time with this one, one episode every other day.

Gripping and tense, and my word, what a cast !!

As for the scene in question in ep.2, I laughed my head off. Different strokes I guess :laugh: pun, what pun ?  >:D

I didn't see the shovel coming though...  :o
Olivier

Irons

Quote from: Papy Oli on August 10, 2022, 01:01:08 AM
We are finally getting to Sherwood at our end, we're taking our time with this one, one episode every other day.

Gripping and tense, and my word, what a cast !!

As for the scene in question in ep.2, I laughed my head off. Different strokes I guess :laugh: pun, what pun ?  >:D

I didn't see the shovel coming though...  :o

;)

She didn't see the shovel coming either!

Papy Oli

Olivier

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

KevinP

Stranger Things. I started watching it when season 2 came out, but at the time I was on my sabbatical year. When I came back, I wanted my wife to watch it, but, despite repeated attempts, she kept falling asleep. Eventually I gave up, but recently I made another attempt, without going back to episode 1, and this time it stuck, so I've been able to watch the episodes I never saw. (Almost finished S3. Not as good, but not terrible, and at least I had been prepared for the drop in quality.)

Better Call Saul, although Korean Netflix is weeks behind, so I have to stay away from certain conversations.

I like it better than Breaking Bad, but I'm not a 'best. tv. show. ever.' fanboy of either. Both have some pretty flat villains. Take Tuco. Very flat, more 'plot complication' than 'character.' (Fring, on the other hand, is a character.) BCS, for the most part, avoided this, but then introduced one who stayed around for quite some time. But at least the actor who portrayed him oozed charisma.

So now we're in the second half of the final season, of which only the second one is available to me so far. The first of these was just wrapping up the mid-season finale, and frankly, I wish they had aired this along with the first half, but they insist on cliffhangers. (All fiction writing is to some degree manipulative, but the BB franchise relies on manipulation to get the audience back. See the last scene of nearly every episode.) But either way, I'm glad those storylines got wrapped up so now they get back to the main characters, which they are doing. I like where this is going.

SimonNZ

André

Iota

SimonNZ

I'm enjoying the series, but it seems there's not a lot of variety in police work in the town. No drug dealing or robberies etc. Just all the murders.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Roy Bland

Karl Henning

Watching Columbo, "Ransom for a Dead Man." This time, I see that it is Double Indemnity that is playing on the TV in the Williams kitchen.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Irons

To be transfixed, as I was last night, by the first episode of a series where nothing happens on the surface is some achievement by the writer (Stefan Golaszewski) of Marriage and the main cast members of Sean Bean and Nicola Walker. The scene in the cemetery contains some of the finest acting I have witnessed with the pair just sitting on a bench.
Story is the wrong word, so is action, but whatever, revolves around a couple married for thirty years or so, with the husband newly retired and his wife still in employment. The writing is very clever as sans signposts the viewer has to workout for themselves the past and driving force of  a coupling of two people over such a long period. At times unnerving as their life is too like ours for comfort.
Not for everyone but I found it unique as well as brilliant.       

Papy Oli

Finished BBC's Sherwood last night. Absolutely outstanding. Top acting and stirring scenes all throughout. I am not even sure I want a second series of this. It was gripping and perfect as it was.

Also watched the Better Call Saul finale today. Another massive series finishing this year. The last season was a bit stretched at times but still good to very good overall.

Marriage is in the queue, Lol.
Olivier

Irons

Quote from: Papy Oli on August 16, 2022, 08:12:26 AM
Finished BBC's Sherwood last night. Absolutely outstanding. Top acting and stirring scenes all throughout. I am not even sure I want a second series of this. It was gripping and perfect as it was.

Also watched the Better Call Saul finale today. Another massive series finishing this year. The last season was a bit stretched at times but still good to very good overall.

Marriage is in the queue, Lol.

My daughter thought Marriage dreadful, Olivier. I thought it brilliant. One of us has it wrong. :-\