What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

I just bought the sixth season of Better Call Saul on Blu-ray (German release) and have watched the first 3 episodes (disc one). This is probably the most stylish TV show I have ever seen and very high in my top TV shows ranking (All time favorite TV show for me is a tie between The X-Files and original Doctor Who).

I am also watching on TV re-runs of Austrian gem from the 90's, namely Kommissar Rex, which I like a lot! This series really helps me to smile in these cynical ugly times. This time I see this show with 16:9 HD picture (shot on film).
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Florestan

Vienna, around 1900. DI Oskar Reinhardt (brilliant but unassuming, therefore overlooked) and Freudian psychiatrist Max Liebermann (brilliant but Jewish, therefore overlooked) team up to solve decadent Viennese murders. Enjoying it quite a lot.

Funny bit:  I've always thought that Juergen Maurer played Max Liebermann, but I was wrong. Max is actually played by Matthew Beard.  Juergen Maurer plays Oskar Reinhardt. Talk about stereotypes...
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Todd

Season three of Jack Ryan, with the second half of the Amazon Prime power couple.  This season some rogue Russkies are the bad guys.  It's always comforting to hear bad guys speak with satisfyingly sinister Slavic accents.  And when it comes to accents, the Czech president is played by a German actress, the perfectly acceptable Nina Hoss, because all Central European accents sound the same.  The story involves nefarious schemers attempting to goad the US and Russia into war by way of various shenangigans, with the dastardly plot rooted in an ancient Soviet program.  Or something.  Hey, there's nice locale hopping.  Production values are good, but there's no suspense at all since it's all predictable.  I'll probably have to pass on season four, if there is one, unless the analyst/superspy takes on the Chinese. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

KevinP

Giving That 90s Show a shot. I was never a fan of the 70s show but I watched it on occasion.

Alas, this doesn't seem so much like a show about the 90s as it does an updating of the characters from the original show. The nostalgia factor was the only thing the original incarnation had going for it (otherwise it's a fairly typical sitcom with the usual jokes, the X-and-Y-slept-together cliffhangers, etc). I have precious little nostalgia for the 90s, but it seems it should appeal to those who do. And the acting does not impress.

VonStupp

Willow (2022)
Warwick Davis, Jean Marsh, Kevin Pollack

I wouldn't be surprised if many walk away at the first episode - it is amateur hour.

Luckily, the fantasy action picks up immediately afterwards, redeeming what I initially was dreading following that first episode.

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Papy Oli

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 09, 2023, 09:53:33 AMWe watched the start of The Light in the Hall on Channel 4 as well (https://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-light-in-the-hall) about a mother facing the release of her daughter's murderer 18 years on in a small Welsh village, with him holding back (or not remembering) where her body is. A friend of the victim, now journalist, decides to return home and investigate the story further. A slow burning first episode but we'll see.

Finished The Light in the Hall earlier this week (6 episodes in total). Good acting and story building but dear god, that was way too sloooow and dragging. it makes Hinterland look like The Fast and the Furious.  ;D 
Olivier

drogulus

Woo Hoo.....My Blu Ray copy of Smiley's People just arrived.

I was warned off the US Blu Ray. This is the one to get. Region doesn't signify for ripification.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Fëanor

Quote from: drogulus on January 29, 2023, 10:47:31 AMWoo Hoo.....My Blu Ray copy of Smiley's People just arrived.

I was warned off the US Blu Ray. This is the one to get. Region doesn't signify for ripification.

Whao!! I'm going to have to look for a Blu-Ray version.  Smiley's People was a great mini-series: 10/10 in my books

drogulus

Quote from: Fëanor on January 29, 2023, 11:13:30 AMWhao!! I'm going to have to look for a Blu-Ray version.  Smiley's People was a great mini-series: 10/10 in my books

If you can play UK disks get it. Otherwise rip it. Just don't get this.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

drogulus

I checked the PQ on the disks and it's as good as one could expect from the original 16mm film from 40 years ago, much better than the DVDs.

Fëanor

Quote from: drogulus on January 29, 2023, 11:33:31 AMI checked the PQ on the disks {Smiley's People, BluRay} and it's as good as one could expect from the original 16mm film from 40 years ago, much better than the DVDs.

That's good to know for sure.

I'm in Canada, Blu Ray Region A, and the the only region my machine will play.  Region 'ABC' disc are hard to find around here.

drogulus

Quote from: Fëanor on January 29, 2023, 11:38:39 AMThat's good to know for sure.

I'm in Canada, Blu Ray Region A, and the the only region my machine will play.  Region 'ABC' disc are hard to find around here.

Region free players aren't that expensive (particularly if you don't need UHD). Amazon has them.

Fëanor

Quote from: drogulus on January 29, 2023, 11:45:31 AMRegion free players aren't that expensive (particularly if you don't need UHD). Amazon has them.

Indeed, thanks.  I see some at Amazon.ca now that I've looked.  My current TV only does 1080p so UHD is irrelevant for now.

DavidW

I've started watching Vera, which is a great mysteries series.

Irons

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 09, 2023, 06:39:49 AMBBC's HAPPY VALLEY

2nd week into the final Season 3.

As gripping and brilliant cast and acting as the previous 2 series.

Olivier, following your advice we set out on Happy Valley last night at the start, Series 1 Episodes 1 & 2. "Gripping" is spot on. I actually winced at some of the scenes, Vera it ain't.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Irons on January 30, 2023, 06:57:03 AMOlivier, following your advice we set out on Happy Valley last night at the start, series 1 episodes 1 & 2. "Gripping" is spot on. I actually winced at some of the scenes, Vera it ain't.

That it ain't, Lol !  ;D  It is very dark and a few levels above tense. I didn't see seasons 1 & 2 at the time of their broadcast. I streamed them 3-4 years ago maybe upon my partner's recommendation. Some scenes stayed with me ever since and send shivers down my spine. On Sunday is the final (ever) episode, that 3rd series is up there too.     

I am planning to watch more series with Sarah Lancashire like Kiri or The Accident, she is fantastic (the whole cast is to be fair). Glad also (in a "sadistic" way) that the BBC has not been releasing all the episodes at once. Having to wait impatiently for the Sunday evenings has been exciting in its "old-fashioned" way too. 
Olivier

71 dB

I finished the sixth season of Better Call Saul some time ago and started watching Breaking Bad again on Blu-ray.

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Kontrapunctus

The Good Fight season 5, Woman of the Dead season 1, and Vienna Blood season 3.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Todd

The newest, most shocking entry in "reality" dating shows: Milf Manor.  Gentle viewers are led to believe that eight not as hot as they think they are 40- and 50-something single mothers (well, seven; one has pronounced confidence issues!) are whisked away to a Mexican resort to cavort with eight young men - who end up being their sons!!  Gasp!!!  (I mean, sure, airline tickets to the same destination would have tipped no one off.)  Anyway, I wanted to see how much of this crap I could watch, and it turns out not much.  I made it to the first "contest", where the blindfolded moms had to identify their sons by groping all the young men's topless torsos.  Just imagine a gender swapped version - now that would be fun.  A new benchmark in widely distributed cynical degeneracy has been reached.  I take heart in knowing that the entertainment industry can go farther.  Maybe Swinging Siblings or Pedophile Parade are already in production.

I will say that this is something that even The Simpsons never envisaged, though 30 Rock did:

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya