What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

Also BBC's Control Room

Follows Gabe, an ordinary man who works as an emergency call handler for the Scottish Ambulance Service in Glasgow. One day he receives a desperate call from a woman who seems to know him.

This one was a weird one. 3 episodes of absolute tension and stress but you'll most likely spend the first two hours going from one suspension of disbelief to another as the story develops and the central character gets deeper and deeper in trouble. The unfolding and resolution of the story's arcs in the final episode will however all make sense eventually. Worth the time, just stick with it.

Olivier

Irons

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 24, 2023, 01:55:12 AM"The Gold"

BBC TV Series based on the Brinks-Mat Gold bullion robbery in the 80's in an Heathrow warehouse and the subsequent investigations and ramifications.

Very nicely made and gripping despite its misleading lack of rhythm. Worth a watch.

I had one criticism of "The Gold", Olivier in that the series gave a slightly cheeky cockney chappie veneer to the purely evil David Noye. I read a report that he enjoyed the portrayal of himself in the series.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Irons on March 26, 2023, 01:17:36 AMI had one criticism of "The Gold", Olivier in that the series gave a slightly cheeky cockney chappie veneer to the purely evil David Noye. I read a report that he enjoyed the portrayal of himself in the series.   

I think some of Noye's evil did come through at times, at least through Boyce/Bonneville continuous reminders of not wanting to let him get away with the savage stabbing of the policeman. I don't know to what extent Noye's cheeky chappie playing to the gallery during the trial was true or not?

Thinking about it further and actually concurring with your point, the closing comments being limited to the prison sentences of the various offenders were maybe not enough. It should have mentioned that Noye did indeed further prison time for his M25 murder and that Palmer was also shot dead in unclear circumstances in the 90's. As it stood, it could just be glossed over and reduced to smart "gentlemen" robbers just ending up being outsmarted by Boyce and his team when the truth was darker than that (at least, the documentary that followed the last episode went some way to re-establish the darker impact of the robbery, e.g. the establishment of the ecstasy market in the UK in the 90's via the gold money laundering and financing the US Mafia).
Olivier

LKB

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Season one was very enjoyable, save a few instances of clumsy and/or dumbed- down writing. It's the best Trek series since TNG, imho.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

milk

Daverz

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 24, 2023, 02:08:43 AMAlso BBC's Control Room

Follows Gabe, an ordinary man who works as an emergency call handler for the Scottish Ambulance Service in Glasgow. One day he receives a desperate call from a woman who seems to know him.

Sounds like the 2018 Danish film The Guilty (there was also a US remake that I have not seen.)

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SimonNZ

Somehow hadn't heard of this fifteen-part documentary before stumbling on a box set in a secondhand store yesterday.

Will be watching a couple of episodes each weekend with a friend. Can't wait.

DavidW

Quote from: Ennorat on April 02, 2023, 12:54:58 PMCurrently watching Star Trek: Enterprise.

I think that the third season is highly underrated.  Fourth season is pretty good to.  The first two seasons I thought were hit or miss.  Seems to be a familiar Star Trek curse.  We have a dedicated Trek thread btw.

Papy Oli

Bad Sisters (Apple TV)

An Irish gripping dark-humoured, wicked comedy and meaty multi-layered gut-punching drama about 4 sisters plotting to kill the abusive and coercive husband to save their 5th sister.

Very intelligently edited and built-up, jumping back and forth between the pre-death plotting by the sisters and the post-death investigations of a dodgy insurer suspecting sisterly foul play, thereby trying to avoid paying the life insurance claim to the widow.

Great acting throughout (special mentions for the oldest and youngest sisters) but top mark for the the brother-in-law, who you will really hate within minutes and then non-stop for 10 hours.

There are some talks of a second series but it isn't needed. It is already perfect as it stands, with a full closure of the story arcs and surprise twists in the last episode. Up there with the best series I have seen. Highly recommended.
Olivier

Fëanor

I watched Waco: An American Apocalypse, (2023) the Netfix documentary.  I thought it was pretty good and recommend -- 7.5/10*

I felt it was a good, balanced, and nuanced on account of the range of people interviewed.  These included Branch Davidian survivors, ATF and FBI agents, reporters, and the lawyer, Dick DeGuerin, who tried put failed to represent David Koresh, the Branch Davidian cult leader and messiah.

ATF and FBI agents interviewed provided a lot of nuance on account of their feelings then and now.  Notable in that regard was the disharmony between FBI negotiators on the one hand, and the FBI Hostage Rescue Team, (i.e. SWAT team), on the other.

Intriguing and depressing were the interviews with Branch Davidian survivors, Kathy Schroeder, David Thibodeau, and Heather Jones. All were unrepentant in varying degrees as well, IMO, in their forthrightness.  It's depressing to see these folks, most eloquently Schroeder, expressed their continuing conviction the mission and righteousness of David Koresh, a narcissistic, controlling megalomaniac.

I was impressed with the summation of Bob Ricks, FBI Special Agent in Charge, who feels that David Koresh was always in control of events and held the FBI hostage as much as he did the Branch Davidian cult members.

What is missing perhaps is discussion of the ongoing impact  of the Waco incident on American gun rights extremists and "Sovereign Citizen" government author haters.

SimonNZ

Enjoying this way more than I expected to.

Irons

At last a series that entertains and shocks in equal degree. I am absolutely loving the gritty BBC and HBO co-production of Rain Dogs. The underbelly of seedy London life exposed with no punches pulled and a star is born with Jack Farthing playing Selby. An anti-hero personified. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

George

Quote from: Irons on April 07, 2023, 08:01:39 AMAt last a series that entertains and shocks in equal degree. I am absolutely loving the gritty BBC and HBO co-production of Rain Dogs. The underbelly of seedy London life exposed with no punches pulled and a star is born with Jack Farthing playing Selby. An anti-hero personified.

Thanks for sharing this! I am always on the lookout for new shows to watch. From what you wrote, it sounds like I'd like it. Some of my favorites: Mr. Inbetween, Killing Eve, Better Call Saul, Preacher, American Gods, Succession, Poker Face....
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Papy Oli

Quote from: Irons on April 07, 2023, 08:01:39 AMAt last a series that entertains and shocks in equal degree. I am absolutely loving the gritty BBC and HBO co-production of Rain Dogs. The underbelly of seedy London life exposed with no punches pulled and a star is born with Jack Farthing playing Selby. An anti-hero personified.

Watched the first episode last night based on your post. Ok, that was unsettling and funny. We'll carry on  ;D
Olivier

SonicMan46

Mandalorian - started Season 3 last night; "The eight-episode season premiered on the streaming service Disney+ on March 1, 2023, and will run until April 19, 2023. A fourth season is in development. (Source)" - watched the first two episodes last night.  Dave :)

KevinP

Just finished season one of Undone.

SimonNZ

with all the character-culling I knew had to come

Wanderer

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 08, 2023, 09:20:57 AMMandalorian - started Season 3 last night; "The eight-episode season premiered on the streaming service Disney+ on March 1, 2023, and will run until April 19, 2023. A fourth season is in development. (Source)" - watched the first two episodes last night.  Dave :)

Liking this. The only other new TV show I've committed myself to watching currently is the latest season of Star Trek: Picard. And since it's available on Netflix, I'm also slowly going through Seinfeld for the first time - an episode or two every few days, currently traversing season 4. Remember all the comedic opportunities extant in a world without mobile phones? 

vandermolen

Jack Farthing is excellent in everything I have seen him in.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).