What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drogulus

I've watched the first few episodes of Marie Antoinette and it's quite enjoyable and minus a bit of dramatic license is historically sound.

One reason I was interested is the casting of James Purefoy as Louis XV. As soon as I saw that I was all in. He's as superb here as he was as Mark Antony in the series Rome.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

DavidW

I've started watching Curb Your Enthusiasm.  Some of the dialogue felt so organic and funny that I wasn't even sure if it was an ad lib or scripted.

George

Quote from: DavidW on June 02, 2023, 05:51:19 AMI've started watching Curb Your Enthusiasm.  Some of the dialogue felt so organic and funny that I wasn't even sure if it was an ad lib or scripted.

Very little of the show is scripted. They work off an outline.

Super Dave was so great on that show.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Franco_Manitobain

Quote from: DavidW on June 02, 2023, 05:51:19 AMI've started watching Curb Your Enthusiasm.  Some of the dialogue felt so organic and funny that I wasn't even sure if it was an ad lib or scripted.

My favourite comedy ever!

VonStupp

Obi-Wan Kenobi (2022)
Ewan McGregor, Hayden Christensen, James Earl Jones
Jimmy Smits, Zach Braff, Flea

The Book of Boba Fett seemed a side quest in need of a main story line.

It appeared Obi-Wan was heading that way too, although it has ramped up. Not finished with it yet.
VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SimonNZ

Finished:

Watching:

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Franco_Manitobain on June 02, 2023, 05:57:07 AMMy favourite comedy ever!

I thought as a Canadian you are required, by statute, to say that Schitts Creek is your favorite comedy show. :)

I've been thinking of going back and watching The Good Place. I am also thinking of trying to watch Mash all the way thought, without a laugh track. It was a favorite when it was produced, but I haven't seen most of it since it was first broadcast.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Franco_Manitobain

Quote from: Spotted Horses on June 06, 2023, 09:35:48 AMI thought as a Canadian you are required, by statute, to say that Schitts Creek is your favorite comedy show. :)

I've been thinking of going back and watching The Good Place. I am also thinking of trying to watch Mash all the way thought, without a laugh track. It was a favorite when it was produced, but I haven't seen most of it since it was first broadcast.

I did enjoy Schitts Creek, to be sure.

These days I am much more in the mood for a good drama or suspense. Very little makes me laugh or scared anymore (movie/TV wise).

Franco_Manitobain

Just finished watching the remainder of Succession. Overall, I did enjoy the series quite a bit.

Not without its caveats, however. I found it a bit difficult to follow at times, plot wise and scheming wise. Things develop quite rapidly in certain cases.

The supporting cast including Logan Roy's four offspring were what made the show a great one.

I'll probably watch it again at some point in order to pick up on many subtleties I probably lost along the way.

Brian

Quote from: Spotted Horses on June 06, 2023, 09:35:48 AMI thought as a Canadian you are required, by statute, to say that Schitts Creek is your favorite comedy show. :)

We really enjoyed the first two series of Good Place but as it began to get more and more philosophical rather than comic (especially in series 3), struggled to deal with the preachiness and high sense of self that the show seemed to be suffering from.

By the way, Franco, have you seen the Canadian show Last One Laughing? I just found out about it 10 minutes ago, is why I ask  ;D

Papy Oli

Phoebe Waller-Bridge's first TV project, Crashing

Acerbic, awkward, cringe-inducing but very funny for a first TV attempt.

Even if Fleabag, as a play, was written prior to Crashing, you will find here the bases of what eventually made Fleabag the TV series so enjoyable in its own peculiar way.
Olivier

Papy Oli

...and in a different style, BBC documentary "Once upon a time in Northern Ireland".

Details here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-65638259

If you have found the BBC series from some years back "Spotlight on the Troubles - A Secret History" interesting (I think @SimonNZ you posted about it as well some time back), This could be for you as a complement.

While it still follows a chronological path from the onset of the Troubles to the Good Friday agreement, the focus is more on some very specific episodes & personal stories within the conflict with the subjects' decision-making and opinions over time, if or how they changed, as and when the peace talks started.

The wide range of angles and people covered in this series made this a fascinating and heart-breaking hard-watch whichever side the interviewees were from.
Olivier

SimonNZ

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 08, 2023, 12:44:18 AM...and in a different style, BBC documentary "Once upon a time in Northern Ireland".

Details here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-65638259

If you have found the BBC series from some years back "Spotlight on the Troubles - A Secret History" interesting (I think @SimonNZ you posted about it as well some time back), This could be for you as a complement.

While it still follows a chronological path from the onset of the Troubles to the Good Friday agreement, the focus is more on some very specific episodes & personal stories within the conflict with the subjects' decision-making and opinions over time, if or how they changed, as and when the peace talks started.

The wide range of angles and people covered in this series made this a fascinating and heart-breaking hard-watch whichever side the interviewees were from.

Thank you for this. I will definitely be watching at some point.

Franco_Manitobain

Quote from: Brian on June 07, 2023, 04:29:15 PMBy the way, Franco, have you seen the Canadian show Last One Laughing? I just found out about it 10 minutes ago, is why I ask  ;D

No I haven't and don't believe I have heard of it either?

Brian

Quote from: Franco_Manitobain on June 08, 2023, 02:52:54 AMNo I haven't and don't believe I have heard of it either?
They put 10 comedians in a room (including Colin Mochrie, Tom Green, Mae Martin, Jon Lajoie, and Dave Foley), and the person who goes longest without laughing wins.

Franco_Manitobain

Quote from: Brian on June 08, 2023, 04:36:50 AMThey put 10 comedians in a room (including Colin Mochrie, Tom Green, Mae Martin, Jon Lajoie, and Dave Foley), and the person who goes longest without laughing wins.

Hmm, sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out!

Karl Henning

High time that I watch Northern Exposure.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Karl Henning on June 09, 2023, 01:28:43 PMHigh time that I watch Northern Exposure.
"Give me a bagel and cream cheese."
"What's a bagel?"
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

And, revisiting the past: All in the Family.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA