What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

I've been watching Doctor Who.  I wanted to rewatch the new Who from its beginning.  Well why do I still call it new?  Turns out it came on 19 years ago (and I watched it then or maybe a year later when it arrived in the US), which means that this rewatch will be a bit time consuming!  Reminds me of this clip from Community:

I previously stopped in the Matthew Smith era because I thought the writing went way downhill.

Papy Oli

Slow Horses - Season 1 (Apple TV)

From Wiki : Slough House is an administrative purgatory for MI5 service rejects who have bungled their job but have not been sacked. Those consigned there are known as "slow horses". They are expected to endure dull, paper-pushing tasks, along with occasional mental abuse from their miserable boss, Jackson Lamb (Gary Oldman), who expects them to quit out of boredom or frustration. Life in Slough House is defined by drudgery. Yet the Slow Horses somehow get involved investigating schemes endangering Britain.

Binged season 1 in one afternoon (6x45 min). Definitely gripping and entertaining then!  8)  Oldman is a hoot as the slob/sarcastic/obnoxious/old-school spy Jackson Lamb.

Olivier

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on January 19, 2024, 02:27:59 PMI heard that it was cancelled because Kevin Costner has some films in the pipeline.
Bummer!

I just found an article on USA Today with quotes from both Costner and Sheridan about it...sorry that they couldn't work things out.  :(  I'll keep the other two shows in mind though.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SonicMan46

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 19, 2024, 11:10:31 AMI read a bit about it; I think that there was a recent BBC article.  Quite shocking!  :(
That and Barry both sound interesting.  I'll have to see how I can watch them.
Was 1923 the first one to come out (after Yellowstone) or the other way around?

PD

p.s.  Has Yellowstone itself resumed?

Hi PD - 1883 had a single 10-episode season late 2021 to early 2022, while 1923 premiered in December 2022 for 8 episodes; a second season was renewed in February 2023; a lot was left 'up in the air'! (all from Wiki).  Dave

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 20, 2024, 08:49:12 AMHi PD - 1883 had a single 10-episode season late 2021 to early 2022, while 1923 premiered in December 2022 for 8 episodes; a second season was renewed in February 2023; a lot was left 'up in the air'! (all from Wiki).  Dave

Thanks, Dave!  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

Bachtoven

I finished Reacher last night. Wow, I want my 8 hours back. I sort of liked the first season, but the second one was terrible, and the final episode was beyond preposterous/moronic. I shan't waste time on any further seasons.

Bachtoven

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 20, 2024, 03:24:04 AMSlow Horses - Season 1 (Apple TV)

From Wiki : Slough House is an administrative purgatory for MI5 service rejects who have bungled their job but have not been sacked. Those consigned there are known as "slow horses". They are expected to endure dull, paper-pushing tasks, along with occasional mental abuse from their miserable boss, Jackson Lamb (Gary Oldman), who expects them to quit out of boredom or frustration. Life in Slough House is defined by drudgery. Yet the Slow Horses somehow get involved investigating schemes endangering Britain.

Binged season 1 in one afternoon (6x45 min). Definitely gripping and entertaining then!  8)  Oldman is a hoot as the slob/sarcastic/obnoxious/old-school spy Jackson Lamb.

I love that show! One can almost smell Jackson through the screen!

SimonNZ

Starting the first of the three mini-series sequels to the original This Is England film.

KevinP

Expats, on Amazon Prime,

Only two episodes are out. I looked at the reviews after watching them, and there's a bit of criticism aimed at Nicole Kidman not being the actor she once was.

Halfway through the first episode, my wife said, 'She kind of reminds me of...what's her name...Nicole something.' I looked it up and found it was indeed Kidman. My point being: you can see how much of a crap we give about her or her career.

As far as I'm concerned, the way she's playing it is exactly right for the role.

It's a bit arty--not in the sense that it's pushing creative boundaries but in the sense that it evokes the visual trappings of an art film. Which really should mean it's not arty, but I like it.

But it is emotionally weighty.

Pohjolas Daughter

Trying to watch the series Shetland.  The first disc that I borrowed from the library is quite scratched up though.  Frustrating!  I'll have to see how the other ones look; if decent, I'll try and find a recap of that episode.  :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: Bachtoven on January 20, 2024, 12:58:02 PMI finished Reacher last night. Wow, I want my 8 hours back. I sort of liked the first season, but the second one was terrible, and the final episode was beyond preposterous/moronic. I shan't waste time on any further seasons.

I agree with your assessment but was still okay with it (not good, not bad just meh).  But my parents felt just like you did!  They hated it so much!!

San Antone

The Gilded Age

The Gilded Age is an American historical drama television series created and written by Julian Fellowes for HBO that is set in the United States during the titular era, the boom years of the 1880s in New York City. The series has received mostly positive reviews, with particular praise for the costumes, cast and performances of lead actors Carrie Coon, Morgan Spector, Cynthia Nixon and Christine Baranski.

Cato

"The squeaky wheel gets the grease!"

We bought Season 6 of the series House M.D. on Blu-Ray a year ago or so.

Before Christmas, we finally got around to watching the series from beginning to end.  When we reached Season 6, we discovered that 2 of the disks would not play!

So, I wrote directly to Consumer Affairs at Universal Studios/Media/Massive Global COrporation and asked for new disks.

Amazingly, I received a response that the disks would be ordered from the factory and passed along to me within 4 weeks.

At the end of the third week, I received an e-mail from the company that the disks are no longer being produced and no extras exist!

To make amends, they offered a rather long list of complete series, one of which they would send to us gratis!

Today, we received all 8 seasons of MONK !

So, we squeaked, and the company greased us!   ;D

Good for Universal!

A side note: it is interesting that Universal, which was a small studio for many decades trying to find a niche with horror movies and cheap comedies (e.g.  with Abbot and Costello ), has ended up being a giant in the industry, complete with a theme park, while the giant of the early days, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, has never really recovered from its failure in the 1950's to deal with television.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

SimonNZ

Finished the first of the three seasons of this.

Karl Henning

Mildly funny story. I ordered this on 'zon, mistaking it for the Ken Burns series. When it landed, I felt doubts, and when I began the first chapter, my error was plain to see. Part of me thought of returning it, but I went ahead and watched Chapter 1, and found it of sufficient quality and interest to keep.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

drogulus

Quote from: Cato on January 30, 2024, 01:00:28 PMWhen we reached Season 6, we discovered that 2 of the disks would not play!

I've found that problem discs often rip perfectly. I've done it a number of times. It's worth a try, and if it works you can then burn your own replacement.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:126.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/126.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Cato on January 30, 2024, 01:00:28 PM"The squeaky wheel gets the grease!"

We bought Season 6 of the series House M.D. on Blu-Ray a year ago or so.

Before Christmas, we finally got around to watching the series from beginning to end.  When we reached Season 6, we discovered that 2 of the disks would not play!

So, I wrote directly to Consumer Affairs at Universal Studios/Media/Massive Global COrporation and asked for new disks.

Amazingly, I received a response that the disks would be ordered from the factory and passed along to me within 4 weeks.

At the end of the third week, I received an e-mail from the company that the disks are no longer being produced and no extras exist!

To make amends, they offered a rather long list of complete series, one of which they would send to us gratis!

Today, we received all 8 seasons of MONK !

So, we squeaked, and the company greased us!  ;D

Good for Universal!

A side note: it is interesting that Universal, which was a small studio for many decades trying to find a niche with horror movies and cheap comedies (e.g.  with Abbot and Costello ), has ended up being a giant in the industry, complete with a theme park, while the giant of the early days, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, has never really recovered from its failure in the 1950's to deal with television.
Well, that was nice of them!  Sorry though that you couldn't get your replacement discs.

Speaking of discs not playing, after having a frustrating time watching a scratched DVD of an episode from Shetland, I started thinking about reading some of Ann Cleeves books (which the series is based on) and was wondering if anyone here has read any of them and if so, what did you think of them [Debated where to post this query]?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

drogulus

House M.D. Season 6 Blu Ray available here for $9.98.

Me, I'd torrent the damn thing and call it a day. You bought it, it's yours.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:126.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/126.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 01, 2024, 06:22:48 AMSpeaking of discs not playing, after having a frustrating time watching a scratched DVD of an episode from Shetland, I started thinking about reading some of Ann Cleeves books (which the series is based on) and was wondering if anyone here has read any of them and if so, what did you think of them [Debated where to post this query]?

PD

PD,

I've read the first two Shetland novels (so far) and watched the whole tv series to date.  The novels have a lighter tone than the tv series.  The show also has some characters that the novel doesn't have.  I would say that the novels skew a little more towards cozy mystery, less intensity, more leisurely paced.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on February 01, 2024, 08:42:34 AMPD,

I've read the first two Shetland novels (so far) and watched the whole tv series to date.  The novels have a lighter tone than the tv series.  The show also has some characters that the novel doesn't have.  I would say that the novels skew a little more towards cozy mystery, less intensity, more leisurely paced.
Thanks!   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter