What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakefield

Quote from: Gordo on April 26, 2015, 07:08:03 PM
Stannis "The Mannis" Baratheon: Why he's the best "Game of Thrones" character — and rightful king of Westeros

http://www.salon.com/2015/04/26/stannis_the_mannis_baratheon_why_hes_the_best_game_of_thrones_character_and_rightful_king_of_westeros/

"He's an absolute badass. He's the Clint Eastwood of Westeros." — IGN forum user DigInTheCrates

;D

I guess Stannis fans will decrease significantly after episode 9 "The Dance of Dragons," aired tonight.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

drogulus

Right now I'm watching old faves from the '70s-80s, The Glittering Prizes (1975) and Spyship (1983).

The opening theme of Spyship:

https://www.youtube.com/v/FybAACKX89w

I'd been looking for this for almost 30 years, as I'd been haunted by the theme and what I'd seen so long ago. Finally I found the DVD set.

The Glittering Prizes is better known, legendary in fact, and lives up to my memory of its singular excellence.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Daverz

Penny Dreadful is the current dramatic I series I most look forward to. 

Only one more Game of Thrones this season. Amazing that the show is already starting to "spoil" unpublished book plots.  I applaud the deviations from the books that elide hundreds of pages of tedium.

rockerreds

Karl Henning

My sister lured me into a show which, had anyone described it to me when not a "captive audience," I should probably blithely have passed:  Kingdom Hospital.

(The phrase captive audience is deceptive, hence the scare-quotes:  I was at completely liberty to decline, and to choose anything else to view;  and my sister's suggestion was the softest of sells.  Her enthusiasm was so genuine-yet-not-pushy, and she described it only lightly and in such a way, that I was simply curious.  Love Ed Begley, Jr here.)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Wanderer

I've started watching Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell and so far (episode 3) I think it's quite interesting.

Quote from: Daverz on June 09, 2015, 10:39:34 PM
Penny Dreadful is the current dramatic series I most look forward to. 

Ditto.

Karl Henning

Quote from: karlhenning on June 11, 2015, 08:35:34 AM
My sister lured me into a show which, had anyone described it to me when not a "captive audience," I should probably blithely have passed:  Kingdom Hospital.

(The phrase captive audience is deceptive, hence the scare-quotes:  I was at completely liberty to decline, and to choose anything else to view;  and my sister's suggestion was the softest of sells.  Her enthusiasm was so genuine-yet-not-pushy, and she described it only lightly and in such a way, that I was simply curious.  Love Ed Begley, Jr here.)

Day before yesterday I finished out the series.  Really fine (even allowing for the fact that, IMO characteristically of Stephen King, more than one of even the key characters comes across as shallow and cartoonish).  Hook, Draper, Natalie, & Messengill particularly are good-to-excellent characters (I do not know to what degree King found them thus, in the source series);  Druse, Elmer Traff, Stegman, Otto, & Dr Jesse James are arguably 85% automata, but the actors do their damnedest.  The supernatural elements I found engaging.  Peter Rickman, of necessity, was in many ways an uninteresting role to play for 50% of his screen time (a patient confined to a bed), but the actor's voice and facial expressions mitigated that to a large extent.  Some of the humor is goofy, and that is just part of the show.  One of the actors characterized the series as "a supernatural black comedy," and (a) that's fair and (b) King makes it work.  It's more like Hitchcock and less like King visually, in being more about suspense and anticipation, than about grossing the viewer out.  My one serious narrative quarrel would be a spoiler, so I am mum.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Hollywood

Chicago Fire. It gives me a realistic picture of what my Dad went through when he was a fireman with the Los Angeles Fire Department for 22 years. He had to retire early when he fell through the roof at a house fire and injured his back.
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

The new erato

Quote from: Hollywood on June 18, 2015, 11:32:50 PM
Chicago Fire. It gives me a realistic picture of what my Dad went through when he was a fireman with the Los Angeles Fire Department for 22 years. He had to retire early when he fell through the roof at a house fire and injured his back.
I'm watching that as well. Really too much of an soap-opera for me, but quite entertaining, and I appreciate the 25 min episodes (in an age were 50 minutes and even twice that seems to become the norm). Just the thing for a short break from the real world when I don't want to stay glued to the TV for an extended period.

XB-70 Valkyrie

Three's

fucking

Company

(I got the DVD of the first season and am enjoying re-watching these).
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Drasko

Karl Henning

I've been watching the first season of Northern Exposure.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

rockerreds

I just received Season 3 Once And Again on DVD and will dive in this eveving.

Cato

We have been giving this series a chance: too much huffing and puffing in the bedroom and occasionally elsewhere, as far as I am concerned.  The series would be stronger without it, but premium cable networks have their rules!  ::)

[asin]B005LAJ16I[/asin]
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Todd

Catastrophe.  A six episode season one (I don't know if there will be a season two), about the ramifications of a week long sexual liaison.  The two people end up marching their way to marriage.  It is low key, small scale, deals with real world problems (like the risks associated with pregnancy at forty), and never drags.  The main characters are smart, and the two leads play well off each other.  Carrie Fisher is delightful in her small scenes.  Not great or must-see, but entertaining.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Karl Henning

Quote from: Todd on July 10, 2015, 07:40:58 AM

Catastrophe.  A six episode season one (I don't know if there will be a season two), about the ramifications of a week long sexual liaison.  The two people end up marching their way to marriage.  It is low key, small scale, deals with real world problems (like the risks associated with pregnancy at forty), and never drags.  The main characters are smart, and the two leads play well off each other.  Carrie Fisher is delightful in her small scenes.  Not great or must-see, but entertaining.

Nice to hear of Carrie Fisher doing well.

Quote from: Cato on July 10, 2015, 07:28:16 AM
We have been giving this series a chance: too much huffing and puffing in the bedroom and occasionally elsewhere, as far as I am concerned.  The series would be stronger without it, but premium cable networks have their rules!  ::)

And, dadfrazzanabit, not all of those rules are artistic.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Cato

Mr. Bohannon returns on July 18th at 9:00 P.M. on AMC: Be There!

[asin]B00XWV8WWM[/asin]

Anson Mount continues to portray the Wrath of God in Wyoming.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Hollywood

I love Hell on Wheels. It reminds me of another old west TV series I love, Deadwood, which my brother worked on. I am looking forward to season 5 of Hell on Wheels which I know is starting soon in the USA but god knows when we will see it here in Austria. Anson Mount is my favorite in this series.

"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

Karl Henning

I've sort of "slouched into" re-watching The Avengers from the start of the Emma Peel epoch.

In 'filling Honor Blackman's shoes,' Diana Rigg hit the ground running with an incredibly sexy balance of fearless combat-readiness (we meet her practicing her fencing as Steed visits at her flat in "Town of No Return";  and she does not even trouble to remove her jacket in tussling with a karate expert in "The Cybernauts") and effortlessly soft feminine charm.  The now-oft-acclaimed actress is such a perfect partner for Steed right off, it underscores the outrage that at first, she was paid less than a cameraman on the set—the late Patrick Macnee insisted that she be paid like the co-star she was.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA