What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

Quote from: Hollywood on July 13, 2015, 11:06:00 PM
I love Hell on Wheels. It reminds me of another old west TV series I love, Deadwood, which my brother worked on. I am looking forward to season 5 of Hell on Wheels which I know is starting soon in the USA but god knows when we will see it here in Austria. Anson Mount is my favorite in this series.

Deadwood is one of our favorites too!  Although it is beyond Aristophanic in its obscenity and Senecan in its violence, both of which usually leave me cold, my wife and I became intrigued by the style of the story, the anguish of the crime boss, and his relations with henchmen and Mr. Wu
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: karlhenning on July 14, 2015, 04:25:53 AM
I've sort of "slouched into" re-watching The Avengers from the start of the Emma Peel epoch.

In 'filling Honor Blackman's shoes,' Diana Rigg hit the ground running with an incredibly sexy balance of fearless combat-readiness (we meet her practicing her fencing as Steed visits at her flat in "Town of No Return";  and she does not even trouble to remove her jacket in tussling with a karate expert in "The Cybernauts") and effortlessly soft feminine charm.  The now-oft-acclaimed actress is such a perfect partner for Steed right off, it underscores the outrage that at first, she was paid less than a cameraman on the set—the late Patrick Macnee insisted that she be paid like the co-star she was.
I recently saw that first episode as well. The story was pretty lame, but since I couldn't take my eyes off her, it didn't really matter. Even in this first episode, there is a nice tension and familiarity between the two of them, as if you are always in on some inside joke. The style of the show is just so well done.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Karl Henning

Quote from: mc ukrneal on July 14, 2015, 04:59:15 AM
I recently saw that first episode as well. The story was pretty lame, but since I couldn't take my eyes off her, it didn't really matter. Even in this first episode, there is a nice tension and familiarity between the two of them, as if you are always in on some inside joke. The style of the show is just so well done.

Yes, definitely style over story  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

rockerreds

drogulus

I'm watching more old stuff, Fall Of Eagles, which I saw in the early '80s. It's very stagey historical drama from '74, but acting is superb from a host of familiar faces and names. Curt Jurgens as Bismarck and Patrick Stewart as Lenin are particularly outstanding.

A little taste to wet your beak:

https://www.youtube.com/v/6lHM6gy1rO8

https://www.youtube.com/v/urSaGebApQs

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

drogulus

On the subject of Fall Of Eagles, this urgent bulletin.......

Hide the scenery! Barry Foster alert! Kaiser Willy does his Barry Foster impression:

https://www.youtube.com/v/frjt452YzkM
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Wakefield

Quote from: drogulus on July 15, 2015, 07:59:56 AM
     I'm watching more old stuff, Fall Of Eagles, which I saw in the early '80s. It's very stagey historical drama from '74, but acting is superb from a host of familiar faces and names. Curt Jurgens as Bismarck and Patrick Stewart as Lenin are particularly outstanding.

A little taste to wet your beak:

https://www.youtube.com/v/6lHM6gy1rO8

https://www.youtube.com/v/urSaGebApQs

Thanks, Drogulus! It looks very enticing.

I treasure the fondest memories of two TV series I watched in the late 70s, as a kid; they are not exactly historical, but a kind of. The first one: I, Claudius, the BBC adaptation of Robert Graves, and a French series based on Jules Verne's novel Michael Strogoff: The Courier of the Czar:)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Karl Henning

Well, so I'm shuttling between The Avengers and Columbo . . . last night I re-watched "The Most Dangerous Match."  When I first watched that episode, I did not know Laurence Harvey nor Oscar Beregi, Jr.  What a pleasure to watch again.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Wakefield

Homeland - Season 2
Chapter 5

"You're a disgrace to your Nation, Sergeant Nicholas Brody. You're a traitor and a terrorist. And now it's time you pay for that."
-- Carrie

Six months ago I watched season 1 of Homeland... and I liked, very much. But then I didn't follow with season 2. Now, I have come back to watch the second season and I think it was a very good decision.

Claire Danes is a hell of an actress.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Bogey

Friz Freleng (Director, Producer), Hawley Pratt (Director)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Wakefield

Quote from: Bogey on August 08, 2015, 03:15:45 PM

In the late 70s I was a child living in Osorno, a small city in the Southern part of Chile, quite influenced by German immigration in the second half of the XIXth Century.

Back then, there was just one TV channel to watch in our city: Televisión Nacional de Chile (public TV), and The Pink Panther was one of the cartoons that I watched a lot; together with The Flintstones, Tom & Jerry and a few more.

Fond memories.  :)
-- Voltaire

Wakefield

... btw...

'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany on Her First Emmy Nomination: 'It's for Our Fans'

http://variety.com/2015/tv/awards/tatiana-maslany-emmy-nomination-emmys-2015-1201541838/

Thanks, dear Tatiana! You're the best.  :-*

After three years of iniquity and unexplainable preterition (sorry, but I needed solemn words), she should be the winner.

67th Emmy Awards on Fox on September 20.

8)
-- Voltaire

TheGSMoeller

reposting from the Movie thread, which has me questioning why I posted it in there...

Absolutely loving this BBC mini-series production of Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. Top notch acting, writing and beautifully detailed sets and costumes. Only watched first two episodes on Amazon, first episode was a free download and I bought the second episode for my plane ride home. I will try to hold off until the Blue Ray is released in about a week, not sure I can hold out...

[asin]B00UA00E0Q[/asin]

Karl Henning

Quote from: Bogey on August 08, 2015, 03:15:45 PM

Lawd, but I do remember enjoying these back when . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Jay F

Steven Bochco's current series on TNT, Murder in the First. And Suits on USA.

Drasko

Just finished the 6th season (and probably final).  :(

North Star

WOLF HALL is broadcast over here on Tuesdays, the first episode looked very promising.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Brahmsian

Recently, and currently on Netflix:

Bloodline

Happy Valley

Broadchurch

Hinterland

Really getting into the British cop dramas, per the last three listed.  Bloodline, I thought, was terrific!

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: ChamberNut on August 26, 2015, 09:18:37 AM

Bloodline

Bloodline, I thought, was terrific!

My wife has been watching this. I just happen to start in on episode 10 and my goodness what an incredible amount of intensity. So I've only watched eps 10-12, with the finale tonight and I still think it's a great show. Ben Mendelsohn display's top notch acting.

Wakefield

Quote from: ChamberNut on August 26, 2015, 09:18:37 AM

Bloodline

Really getting into the British cop dramas, per the last three listed.  Bloodline, I thought, was terrific!

Advice taken and thank you!  :)
-- Voltaire