What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

Binged the first four episodes.  Now need to take my time as I am enjoying the story quite a bit.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SimonNZ

Finished season three (the final season) of Penny Dreadful, which disappointingly just fizzled out over the last two or three over-chatty and melodramatic episodes, as they tried not very successfully to bring it all to some conclusion. I'd been enjoying the ride up until then.

Ken B

The People vs O.J. Simpson

I am not quite sure why I am watching it though! I followed it closely at the time. I even watched some of it. The only characters involved I can recall respecting were Clarke and Darden.

Until that trial I had been a huge admirer of Dershowitz, and my opinion of him has never quite fully recovered. The worst was F Lee Bailey. Well, Simpson was the worst.

Two hours in it's not bad and I will continue.

George

Second time through this. The finale is a shocker. 

Drasko

Three more episodes to go and I kind of like it. The story is not the most imaginative, cliches galore, and the tone is permanently and overly portentous, some levity wouldn't go amiss. On the other hand they've got all the dancing aspects of the series pretty spot on. Casting actual ballet dancers who can act a bit rather than actors who can dance a bit is the main thing they got right, everything else follows from there.

SimonNZ

^Plus a gratuitous nudity quota that makes Game Of Thrones seem prudish. Not that I mind looking on the female form, but they made it far too obviously sleazy and not at all in service of the plot.

I thought the lead actress was interesting and it would be good to see her in other things and I was interested in the story arcs involving the troubled family she ran away from, but it was the ticking off of all the standard ballet story cliches that had me stop watching halfway through.

SonicMan46

Longmire - Season 5 - Susan & I binged out last night until 2 AM watching the last 5 episodes of the mostly recently released season - ;)  Dave

XB-70 Valkyrie

Curb your Enthusiasm. I guess I'm a decade behind the times here (I watch very little TV or movies), but I ordered the first two seasons on DVD, and I'm finding the show and the characters absolutely hilarious. (I never watched or liked Seinfeld btw)

It is really funny to watch Larry argue with people over things that most of us would just let slide in the name of not pissing people off/getting your ass kicked. Although he is a complete jerk at times, it is hilarious to watch everything unravel for him. Some of the episodes are really masterpieces of comedy ("Beloved Aunt", and the one where he tries to get the prescription for his wife)
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Drasko

Quote from: SimonNZ on September 26, 2016, 03:26:37 PM
^Plus a gratuitous nudity quota that makes Game Of Thrones seem prudish. Not that I mind looking on the female form, but they made it far too obviously sleazy and not at all in service of the plot.

To be fair ballet dancers are notorious, in real life, for disregard of common decency when it comes to clothing. Strolling around more or less naked in locker rooms and rehearsals is pretty common behavior.

Mirror Image

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on September 26, 2016, 05:02:24 PM
Curb your Enthusiasm. I guess I'm a decade behind the times here (I watch very little TV or movies), but I ordered the first two seasons on DVD, and I'm finding the show and the characters absolutely hilarious. (I never watched or liked Seinfeld btw)

It is really funny to watch Larry argue with people over things that most of us would just let slide in the name of not pissing people off/getting your ass kicked. Although he is a complete jerk at times, it is hilarious to watch everything unravel for him. Some of the episodes are really masterpieces of comedy ("Beloved Aunt", and the one where he tries to get the prescription for his wife)

As someone who loves Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm was an easy step forward in that direction. I agree that Curb is such a fantastic sitcom.

George

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on September 26, 2016, 05:02:24 PM

Curb is the crude, dark side of Seinfeld. Absolutely offensive on every level. I love it!

NikF

Curb your Enthusiasm is the only show I've ever binge watched a season of.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Ken B

I wasn't expecting much

[asin]B01C69QV64[/asin]

but this is really very good indeed. A few performances are weak, but it's generally well done. What I particularly liked is it didn't shy away from catching in key moments the moral failures of many of the key players. A lot of stuff is left out of course, stuff which mostly redounds to the discredit of the defense attorneys, but even with 500 minutes you have to cut! 8/10

HIPster

Ken, the recent (7 hour!) documentary is excellent and makes for a nice follow-up:

[asin]B01DPPMPSG[/asin]
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Ken B

Quote from: HIPster on September 28, 2016, 12:57:35 PM
Ken, the recent (7 hour!) documentary is excellent and makes for a nice follow-up:

[asin]B01DPPMPSG[/asin]
Oh cool. I did not know about that. Thanks for the tip.

Bogey

Quote from: sanantonio on September 28, 2016, 11:40:16 AM
My wife and I have been long term fans of the Inspector Morse series.  Then we continued with Lewis, also fans.  But lately we've been enjoying Endeavour, a prequel to the Morse series, with most of the main characters as younger men and just starting out with the Oxford police.

Fabulous series!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Drasko

Just starting this. Heard from few people (and Simon mentions it on previous page as well) that they rushed and bungled up the last few episodes, but I liked so much the first two seasons that prospect of botched ending is not going to deter me from finishing the series.

Drasko

Step-siblings start dating, chaos ensues: emotional, familial, social.

Very well written by LaBute (not a given having seen his last couple of movies), smart, flowing, non-cringey.

Shame it never made further than one season plus an epilogue episode, but I guess wasn't that laugh out loud funny for a comedy and not enough gut wrenching for a drama, and it was on some never ever heard of channel.