What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reckoner

Any fans of Bloodline on Netflix?

Possibly my favourite series post-Breaking Bad. Season 1 is particularly strong, with some stellar acting (especially Ben Mendelsohn), exquisitely paced storytelling and lush cinematography.

The new erato

Started Fargo season 2. After 2 episodes it looks promising. Will try not to bingewatch.

SimonNZ

Recently:

The Tunnel: Perfectly watchable, but suffered from sticking too close to the original The Bridge and inviting direct comparissons, as well as not taking the opportunity to ignore or rewrite some of the more preposterous story twists of the original.

The People Vs OJ Simpson: Much better than I was expecting. I was worried by how hard they were pushing the Kardashian connection in the first couple of episodes, but they eased off it. Sarah Poulson was brilliant as always.

Narcos: halfway through the first season and loving it.

Kontrapunctus

SimonNZ

Recently:

I'm glad there's a second season of The Shadow Men (retitled "Spin" in some areas) to look forward to.

Ken B

Goliath

An Amazon original series.

It's pretty bad in many ways. The impossibly evil corporate law firm, the pervy chief villain who listens to classical (especially opera), and the silly legal maneuver whipsaw reversals of fortune. But Billy Bob Thornton is engaging and there is some good humour, and I do like David vs Goliath stories. So I am liking it well enough.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

John Copeland

Very odd this.  I took a liking to watching Mob Wives!  Love it.   $:)

You don't like Mob Wives?
Whassamarra wit yoo?

Parsifal

Was a great fan of Community. Just saw the first episode of season 6 (the one aired on yahoo screen).  A horror, one of the most pointless things I can recall seeing on television. Biggest disappointment since the forth season of arrested development.

NikF

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103381
Episode One: The family gathers at the camomile lawn in summer 1939. Oliver returns from the Spanish Civil War and woos Calypso who rejects him, saying she is looking for a rich man. Sophy has a traumatic experience and the family meets classical musician Max and his wife Monika.

I'm going to rewatch Mary Wesley's 'The Camomile Lawn' and enjoy the faintly satirical depiction of the sexual mores of the upper middle class, delivered via delightfully plummy voices and punctuated by snatches of Ravel's F major SQ.

[asin]B000EDWLTQ[/asin]

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Drasko

Just starting season 2 of Unreal. Loved the first one, let's hope the second won't lose the edge, but neither get all pretentious.

Jaakko Keskinen

Sasuke, aka Ninja Warrior. Also, Takeshi's castle.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Drasko

Quote from: Alberich on November 04, 2016, 05:52:30 AM
Sasuke, aka Ninja Warrior. Also, Takeshi's castle.

Oh, yeah! Loved both when they were shown on local TV. Takeshi Kitano & Makoto Nagano!  8)

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Draško on November 05, 2016, 06:06:02 AM
Oh, yeah! Loved both when they were shown on local TV. Takeshi Kitano & Makoto Nagano!  8)

Yeah. Too bad Nagano retired from Sasuke...
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

SimonNZ

not currently watching: The Night Of

which after 20 minutes became clear was an exact remake  of a British miniseries called Criminal Justice which I had watched quite recently:

started series six of Game of Thrones instead

kishnevi

Not yet watched, but this Black Friday indulgence landed today, featuring the combination of Hyacinth Bouquet and Meriadoc Brandybuck
[asin]B00GD7UO4G[/asin]

North Star

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on November 30, 2016, 06:15:32 PM
Not yet watched, but this Black Friday indulgence landed today, featuring the combination of Hyacinth Bouquet and Meriadoc Brandybuck
Good stuff.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Parsifal

Quote from: Scarpia on October 31, 2016, 06:28:06 PM
Was a great fan of Community. Just saw the first episode of season 6 (the one aired on yahoo screen).  A horror, one of the most pointless things I can recall seeing on television. Biggest disappointment since the forth season of arrested development.

Must withdraw this comment. The first episode was over the top, taking the conceptual meta humor to a level which was insufferable. The second and subsequent episodes have been very good. I'm up to the finale.

drogulus

I'm rewatching Tenko after more than 30 years. It holds up very well.

That's Louise "Leela" Jameson in the middle. She plays the cockney tartette of the group.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

SimonNZ

Recently:

Game Of Thrones, series six

I was expecting the novelty to be starting to wear off, but this was one of the strongest seasons yet. Hard to believe they packed so much punch and so many great set-piece scenes into just ten taut episodes.

The Tunnel, series two "Sabotage"

Considerably better than season one. Now that they've stopped repeating stories and interactions from the original The Bridge, and tailored the writing to the new actors, their unique talents are able to shine, especially with a well concieved original espionage story.