What TV series are you currently watching?

Started by Wakefield, April 26, 2015, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drasko

Endeavour is really good, psychology of main characters and their non police case related lives are superbly drawn and period setting looks immaculate. The only minor thing is that denouements of cases are generally pretty far fetched and mostly unguessable for the viewer.

It may be blasphemous to say but for the most time I easily prefer Elementary to often unbearably pretentious Sherlock.

lisa needs braces

Have you guys heard about that show called "Rectifiy"? It's gotten some glowing critical praise and I believe it's on its last season (of 4, season length is under 10 episodes.)

It concerns a man on death row getting his conviction thrown out after multiple decades...and him having to adjust back to life in small town America.

I REALLY want to watch it but sometimes I can't handle heavy stuff...

this is the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw-TTr3sK8o

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: -abe- on December 02, 2016, 02:03:40 PM
Have you guys heard about that show called "Rectifiy"? It's gotten some glowing critical praise and I believe it's on its last season (of 4, season length is under 10 episodes.)

It concerns a man on death row getting his conviction thrown out after multiple decades...and him having to adjust back to life in small town America.

I've watched the first 2 seasons. It is really well done, with some very good acting and a generally intelligent approach to the subject matter.

But yeah, it's heavy stuff. Watch the first couple of episodes, then decide if you want to continue.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

George

Still can't figure out if I really like this show, but it intrigues me, and I am in a bit of a dry spell, TV comedy-wise.

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Todd

I got HBO Now for GoT, but I ended up keeping it for Westworld.  The season closer ran yesterday, and it was decent enough entertainment, but it was also a bit disappointing, as was the series as a whole.  The entire show looked great, had high production values, and an A-list cast that wasn't always used to its potential, but the show never really made me care about the robots.  Even the hot "female" ones.  The apparently much discussed violence wasn't particularly intense or ugly, even the very topical sexual violence against the "female" characters.  A couple of the storylines were clunky.  The whole Maeve sub-plot had a massive, gaping hole in it, for instance.  Still, all the pluses listed before, combined with nice use of music, means I'll probably watch the next season.  And the Gunslinger Easter egg was a hoot.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Spineur

Nicolas Le Floch, police officer of Louis XV, is the hero of a book serie by François Perot.
A TV serie in period costume has been made from these books.  I find them quite well made in superb french language.  Some ask which opera should they see to learn french.  I think this serie is pretty good, because the quality of the dialogue.

[asin]B00E8WL7GW[/asin]

Karl Henning

Quote from: Spineur on December 05, 2016, 12:49:34 PM
Nicolas Le Floch, police officer of Louis XV, is the hero of a book serie by François Perot.
A TV serie in period costume has been made from these books.  I find them quite well made in superb french language.  Some ask which opera should they see to learn french.  I think this serie is pretty good, because the quality of the dialogue.

Cool.

Thread Duty:

A Nero Wolfe Mystery
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

lisa needs braces

I've been SLOWLY going through the first season (of two, so far) of Amazon's BOSCH, based on the detective novels of Michael Connolly.

There is a central strong plot and mystery running through the season. The lead actor -- Titus Welliver--is one of those actors who has been around for a while and always does great in small roles and whose name you never learn, but he's very capable here and very much a leading man.

It has several "The Wire" alums in key roles. Bosch's police partner is the guy who played Marlo Stanfield, and the police chief is Lt. Daniels. But unlike that show "Bosch" is very much just a mystery thriller, and there's nothing wrong with that.  ;)

Ken B

Quote from: -abe- on December 09, 2016, 04:59:30 PM
I've been SLOWLY going through the first season (of two, so far) of Amazon's BOSCH, based on the detective novels of Michael Connolly.

There is a central strong plot and mystery running through the season. The lead actor -- Titus Welliver--is one of those actors who has been around for a while and always does great in small roles and whose name you never learn, but he's very capable here and very much a leading man.

It has several "The Wire" alums in key roles. Bosch's police partner is the guy who played Marlo Stanfield, and the police chief is Lt. Daniels. But unlike that show "Bosch" is very much just a mystery thriller, and there's nothing wrong with that.  ;)
After season 1 I wasnt sure I wanted to watch more, but I gave season 2 a try and it was much better.

Todd

When I saw that Sharon Horgan was involved with Divorce - she of the superb show Catastrophe - I was enthused.  Alas, it was not as good as I hoped.  The leads are a bit wobbly and both are unlikeable for different reasons - though I suspect that is rather part of the point - and there are comparatively few acidic comic bits, though when they arrive, they are dandy.  There's a lot of good supporting work, with Molly Shannon getting some of the best zingers, the best of which is probably when she reveals her true maternal feelings after helping a young boy in a grocery store.  The season ends on a high note, promising some increased bitterness and nastiness in the second season.

MN Dave

"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer

George

Todd

Finally got to season two of Better Call Saul.  Not as fresh as season one, it is nonetheless excellent, with sharp writing, generally plausible, life-sized plots, and expert use of music.  How can someone not like a show that uses Thievery Corporation in one episode and Faure in the next?  The dual cliffhangers don't really work since the show is a prequel, and the whole prequel thing is also hampered by the obvious reality that Mike looks older and moves slower now than in the early episodes of Breaking Bad.  Seeing a mobile and active and intimidating Hector Salamanca is a big plus.

SonicMan46

Finished the first two seasons of The Flash - enjoying - Season 3 has been filmed but not yet available for viewing.

Returned to Anthony Bourdain - Parts Unknown - just started Season 6 - believe that 8 seasons have been filmed - really a travel show w/ emphasis on places visited, culture & history, people, and of course, food always enters into the discussion - recommended!  Dave :)

SimonNZ

Recently:

Brotherhood, season 1: much better than I was expecting, given that i have a very low tollerance for depictions of organised crime (I've never been able to watch more than 30 minutes of the Sopranos), but much like The Wire the writing is so good and unglamorised and the social decay at every level so well captured, that I'm looking forward to the remaining two series.

Jessica Jones: The stuff between the two leads is pretty great and kept me watching, but most of the supporting characters are underwritten and two-dimensional, and despite the best effors of those actors all the scenes not dealing directly with the main story make the show feel slower than it should.

Started last night:

Preacher: This is proving such a hoot that I stayed up way too late to finish the first disc.

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on December 17, 2016, 08:46:23 AM
Finished the first two seasons of The Flash - enjoying - Season 3 has been filmed but not yet available for viewing.

The Flash is really a great show, Dave. I was, however, a bit perplexed by the finale of Season Two, in particular, the ending.

Todd

I finished off 2016 by finishing off The Crown.  The word lavish is an understatement when describing the production values of this series.  Everything looks superb, with great sets, locations, and green screen use.  Heck, it even has a Hans Zimmer score.

The actors all do fine work in what amounts to a regal soap opera, and while world events swirl around, the show focuses on the reactions of the people themselves.  There are problems, though, in having such famous people portrayed on-screen.  For instance, John Lithgow gives his formidable all as Winston Churchill, but he looks like John Lithgow pretending to be Winston Churchill.  Claire Foy, as she did as Anne Boleyn in the even better Wolf Hall, does superb work as the queen.  She is staid and serious and devoted, and she in no way plays Elizabeth as anything other than dignified, which is a wise choice.  (Both she and Vanessa Kirby, who plays Margaret, also, as one would expect, are rather more attractive than their real-life counterparts, which takes some adjustment.)  Of the male characters, the most interesting are Jeremy Northam as Anthony Eden, all upper crust righteousness and stiffness, and Alex Jennings as a right proper bitch Edward the VIII.

As I watched each nicely paced show - meaning it takes its time - I enjoyed how real events formed the basis of the drama, but it sort of seemed and seems unnecessary.  I couldn't help but think of Frank Drebin's speech from The Naked Gun, you know, "...[n]o matter how silly the idea of having a queen might be to us, as Americans...".  Anyway, I'll probably watch the second season, but when they switch out Claire Foy in season three, I may lose interest.

George

Second time through this series. Just as cringingly funny as it was the first time. I plan to see the movie sometime this week.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Just watched the first episode of the fourth series of Sherlock! Very fun!

North Star

Quote from: jessop on January 02, 2017, 12:31:08 PM
Just watched the first episode of the fourth series of Sherlock! Very fun!
I'll be watching them too when they're broadcast over here. There are reruns of the old episodes currently. :)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr